• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

No bids in for Neto as it stands and the E&S running with £60m minimum as the price. If it gets towards the end of the window and we can't spend that money then he won't go.

(Not saying this is the reality as we saw what happened with that wanker Nunes last year, but that's the messaging coming out of the club)

Gaz wants a CH and he's hopeful Hobbs has stuff going on there.
Did this come from Judah & LL's new "poddy" with GON?

Not a huge fan of Judah but was going to give it a listen on the way home from work later on.

With Kilman's departure, Wolves are keen on bringing in a new centre-back before the trading period slams shut.
Porto's David Carmo has emerged as a top option for the club, with Wolves now facing the challenge of convincing him.
The once-capped Angola international has now returned to Porto after a six-month loan stint at Greek outfit Olympiacos and sources have now confirmed that he is keen to get back into the swing of things with his Primera Liga employers.

The 6ft 5in defender, once named 'the Portuguese Virgil van Dijk', notched 35
appearances for both Porto and Olympiacos in 2023/24 but whether he will return as a standout choice for Ruben Amorim and Co this summer remains to be seen, which could leave the door ajar for a move to Wolves.

Elsewhere, the likes of Leicester City, Wolves and Fulham are all monitoring his situation. His contract with Porto expires in the summer of 2027, which leaves his side in a favourable negotiating position should clubs come to the table in the coming weeks.
What could prove to be a stumbling block, according to sources, is convincing the 1999-born ace. While a move to the Premier League is an enticing prospect for any footballer, Wolves are under the assumption that their ‘main task’ is to prove to their target that the project at Molineux is worth his while with him potentially costing as little as £17 million.

Wolves are confident that convincing the Braga graduate is possible, though sources have suggested that they are currently attempting to discover what their chance of success is before heading to the table. How they will negotiate a good deal with Porto comes into this.

It was revealed earlier this month that Borussia Monchengladbach’s Nico Elvedi was a ‘top candidate’ for Gary O’Neil and Co, particularly after Kilman upped and left, with sources now suggesting that the Premier League side are continuing to keep tabs on the Swiss.

Reported today 30th July

Listened to the E&S podcast with Gaz yesterday evening and it seems like he wants another "experienced" centre back to come in. He really likes what he's seen from Yerson & Toti and knows what Dawson can offer, but he said we've lost a player in that area that featured in most/all PL games last season - so despite what people on here may think of him - that's quite a big loss in an important area.

I very much get the feeling we're targeting someone with PL experience. Perhaps we're not in for Carmo or Elvedi after all and may end up with a low-key more experienced option of the Dawson/Lemina ilk. i.e. someone who is reliable but doesn't make waves when announced.

Whoever it is needs to be good on the ball if we are going to carry on doing what we were trying to do last season as we were ranked dead last at trying to play out.

I don't think anyone has said Kilman isn't a loss versus where the squad currently stands. They have said they don't think he's particularly difficult to replace for less than half of the money with the correct scouting

Last edited:
Listened to the E&S podcast with Gaz yesterday evening and it seems like he wants another "experienced" centre back to come in. He really likes what he's seen from Yerson & Toti and knows what Dawson can offer, but he said we've lost a player in that area that featured in most/all PL games last season - so despite what people on here may think of him - that's quite a big loss in an important area.

I very much get the feeling we're targeting someone with PL experience. Perhaps we're not in for Carmo or Elvedi after all and may end up with a low-key more experienced option of the Dawson/Lemina ilk. i.e. someone who is reliable but doesn't make waves when announced.
I've always had the feeling that if we signed someone like Carmo or Elvedi that it would be to replace Santi Bueno. It really wasn't a great showing from him last season. Any incoming would obviously depend on us getting close to what we paid for Bueno last summer though.

This PL experience CB would be on top of that IMO, to replace that element that we (debatably) lost when we sold Kilman.

An odd season for Santi. Didn't seem to be even close to being considered for a while when he first came in even though we couldn't keep a clean sheet to save our lives. Looked decent from Christmas to Feb/Mar when called upon...and then rubbish for the final couple of months. I'm far from sold on him but I'd like to see him playing when he doesn't have Captain Wow next to him doing a sponsored silence and leaving everyone in two yards of space.

From Gaz: Toti and Yerson I’m sure will be excellent. We know Dawson can play in the Premier League and Santi has done unbelievably well in Spain and had a good introduction last year.

I don't think selling him is on the agenda. Not keen on Carmo from the bits I saw for Olympiacos in the European games.

Santi looked fine playing in the centre of the back three but then a disaster playing on the right hand side of it, awful in the channels.
You'd think with Toti and Yerson having experience of playing at LB/RB respectively, they should be able to deal with that kind of ball down the sides. But if you don't pair them together (and it would be a risk if you did) and you play one of the other two instead, there's a definite weakness there. The memories of the Batth/Doherty Channel of Doom in late 2014 will never go away.

I think there will still be some games where we play three CHs. I mean you might consider it on the opening day given who we're playing. It just won't be the default.

Santi Bueno has a bad combination being very skinny for a centre half but also slow. He struggled like hell with Ellis Simms in that Coventry game. I don't mind him getting another chance this season espeically with him only joining at the end of last Summer (as with Bellegarde,) but their performances need to improve significantly from their showings last season for them to be good longer term solutions for us.

Although he was poor and I still think he should have done better when he did play at least there is some mitigation for Bellegarde and we now have a position which should suit him beit coming off the bench to replace Cunha. I have no hope for Bueno for all the reasons you mentioned - being weak and slow, particularly if we play a higher line, aren't going to be issues he can correct. Personally I think we still need 2 centre halves, one to start the other to be a functional squad option. I'd bin Bueno completely, although I appreciate that's easier said than done.

Last edited:
Linked with Isaak Toure at Lorient, who's price is supposedly down to £15m from £25m after relegation.

Linked with Isaak Toure at Lorient, who's price is supposedly down to £15m from £25m after relegation.

Willie McKay! Fuck, that's a blast from the past. I'm surprised that crooked fuck is still going.

Sheff Utd close to signing Hoever apparently, don't know if it's another loan (pointless) or permanent (hopefully, grab whatever money we can)

Ugh, we're gunna be stuck with certain players who'll never play for us again but cost big money forever aren't we.

That’s definitely how it looks and feels but doesn’t actually paint the whole picture.

At the time (and hindsight aside) £45m was a very good deal for us for Jota, bearing in mind he hadn’t been pulling up trees at that particular time.

The dud we were given in return was just a sweetener, really.

Same (to a lesser extent) with Silva - we had to take a pup from Mendes in return for all the Neves, Patricio, Moutinho business that came our way.

Annoying as it is, there’s some reality in there.

Ugh, we're gunna be stuck with certain players who'll never play for us again but cost big money forever aren't we.
The thought behind this one will be that if he has a good season in a more attacking team then his value will skyrocket. If Sheffield United get promoted and he plays the majority of games then we're going to be looking at getting close to our money back for him.

Back