• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Presumably Lopetegui still has some idea of who we've been keeping tabs on at West Ham, so actually might be able to tempt us with someone like Antonio.

Presumably Lopetegui still has some idea of who we've been keeping tabs on at West Ham, so actually might be able to tempt us with someone like Antonio.
Is Antonio tempting?

West Ham fans seem to dislike all their centre back options so I assume he's been poor. It's by far their weakest position.
Which is odd given Aguerd and Mavropanos are very good players.

Yeah Kilman won’t be the only centre back they sign I imagine

The Smooth Loperator was very keen on signing Antonio for us 18 months ago.
Lopetegui had a few that he insisted on (Cunha, Sarabia and then apparently Alex Scott) but mainly he struck me as a coach who was happy to let the scouting department identify players and would back them after that.

I know it became a bit of a meme but I don't think for one second that Lopetegui actually thought Antonio & Cresswell were the missing link. They were just the players who happened to be identified to fit the bizarre parameters we imposed on ourselves.

Which is odd given Aguerd and Mavropanos are very good players.
I haven't seen enough of West Ham to comment to be honest. It's a bit like us though, if you offered the WHU fans I know the chance to sell all their CBs and replace them with 4/5 new players they'd jump at the chance.

If we signed Mavropanos, Aguerd or Zouma in this window I'd imagine most Wolves fans would be fairly happy but you'd soon have WHU fans along to tell you how shit they are. I don't know how Kilman is viewed by them but I'd imagine they're probably a lot more positive than we know they have any reason to be as he's weirdly managed to keep a pretty good reputation.

Is Antonio tempting?
Certainly more tempting than the dross that is Adams. At least Antonio has a hunger and a power and would definitely be able to hold the ball up well. Is he ideal, no, but he would improve on what we have now IMO.

It's because Kilman doesn't make glaring errors, the errors he makes are more that he should have been more pro active.

Whereas someone like Maguire is generally very good, but when he does make a mistake it's generally awful, comedic and/or catastrophic so he has a poor reputation.

I haven't seen enough of West Ham to comment to be honest. It's a bit like us though, if you offered the WHU fans I know the chance to sell all their CBs and replace them with 4/5 new players they'd jump at the chance.

If we signed Mavropanos, Aguerd or Zouma in this window I'd imagine most Wolves fans would be fairly happy but you'd soon have WHU fans along to tell you how shit they are. I don't know how Kilman is viewed by them but I'd imagine they're probably a lot more positive than we know they have any reason to be as he's weirdly managed to keep a pretty good reputation.
Aguerd seems to have the Collins disease of throwing in a rick at any given moment (he is of course better than Calamity Nath)

Mavropanos has always turned like a skip

Zouma's knees are rapidly going the way of Paul McGrath's

Depends if Antonio can stay fit though. He is beginning to struggle in that department.

On WHU fan opinions, I popped on to KUMB which is always a decent site, and they seem to trust the opinion of their manager over the opinion of the Wolves fanbase. Which is fine by me.

I'd be delighted to see him off, but for an element of balance the only time he's ever looked comfortable in a 2 was when Lopetegui was here. I put that down at the time as Dawson's influence, but with Dawson this year he was back to his usual rabbit in headlights self in that formation. The only change was the removal of Lopetegui, so he must know something.

Reactions: b3h
I'd be delighted to see him off, but for an element of balance the only time he's ever looked comfortable in a 2 was when Lopetegui was here. I put that down at the time as Dawson's influence, but with Dawson this year he was back to his usual rabbit in headlights self in that formation. The only change was the removal of Lopetegui, so he must know something.
We set up incredibly conservatively though (needs must and all that, we just had to get points by whatever means necessary)

Toti often at LB barely crossing the halfway line

Ultra-low block

Neves and Lemina both playing very deep and doing mountains of defensive work in front of the back four

We set up incredibly conservatively though (needs must and all that, we just had to get points by whatever means necessary)

Toti often at LB barely crossing the halfway line

Ultra-low block

Neves and Lemina both playing very deep and doing mountains of defensive work in front of the back four
I'd argue that was more due to Lopetegui stylistically than done to cover inadequacies though.He'll play that way for West Ham I'd imagine. Unlike this last season when we've changed formation due to them.

It's because Kilman doesn't make glaring errors, the errors he makes are more that he should have been more pro active.

Whereas someone like Maguire is generally very good, but when he does make a mistake it's generally awful, comedic and/or catastrophic so he has a poor reputation.
I get that but Kilman has made his fair share of ricks as well tbf. I'm not one who can give you a definitive list off the top of my head but he just seems to be able to put in the occasional dreadful performance and escape completely unscathed.

FWIW I don't think Kilman is awful, IMO he's a fairly solid mid table CB, nothing more nothing less. If you asked 100 non Wolves fans who our best 3 players were you'd probably have about 70 of them pick Kilman as one of them though.

Is Antonio tempting?
Considering how often we've enquired about him, apparently so for Hobbs (or someone else within the club).

I'd have him over Che Adams, but don't take that as an actual endorsement of either.

Depends. Wolves might be pushing for him to join Saudi so they can make more money.
We had already agreed the option price?

Maybe Olympiacos are really doing their "yeah I know you said £5m...how about £1m....£2m..no?....£3m" etc etc

Back