• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another decent option and we know Nuno does use Jota as a central forward, Adama easily switch into the left attacking side if he chooses.

What's the fee got to do with the suggestion of him playing at wing back being ridiculous?
Because he's untested in that position and if you pay 18 million you expect something closer to the finished article. For the record as a winger I don't think he's the finished article and I am very dubious about him as an IF so 18 million sounds very steep.

He's way better going forward and to my knowledge has never played or had much in the way of defensive responsibilities.

To turn it on its head, what makes you think he'd be a good right wing back?
I think he has more of the attributes to make a WB than an IF. We don't play with out and out wingers. So other than a burst of pace off the bench I don't see how he fits in up there. Since the link was mentioned I've been scratching my head and it could be he can't defend at all in which case it is nonsense. What I can't work out is why Nuno is so apparently keen given the players we already have in IF positions. Could be a masterstroke but equally could be a very expensive disaster.

Because he's untested in that position and if you pay 18 million you expect something closer to the finished article. For the record as a winger I don't think he's the finished article and I am very dubious about him as an IF so 18 million sounds very steep.

Not necessarily, the fees these days are stupid. You just have to look at Danny Ings for that. As good as the YouTube videos make him look (as the do for pretty much everyone), I don't think he's better than what we have, he's certainly something different but is he better? For me, no. So I don't think we should sign him, but I can kind of see why others would.

Coady at centre half raised eyebrows. Traore at wb is a stretch though .

Not necessarily, the fees these days are stupid. You just have to look at Danny Ings for that. As good as the YouTube videos make him look (as the do for pretty much everyone), I don't think he's better than what we have, he's certainly something different but is he better? For me, no. So I don't think we should sign him, but I can kind of see why others would.
I will support him fully if he signs in whatever position but if you watch some of his highlight Vids on YouTube he looks very much like Bright if he was faster and could occasionally hit a barn door. I guess I'm still used to Championship fees and considering what we have already brought in for less it seems heavy. I wouldn't have Nuno down as someone that would just blow money if he didn't have a specific role for him to fill.

Time will tell but an impact sub for 18 million? No thanks.

Coady at centre half raised eyebrows. Traore at wb is a stretch though .

I never thought that would work. Even after a few games I didn't like it. Fair play Nuno and Coady

I think he has more of the attributes to make a WB than an IF. We don't play with out and out wingers. So other than a burst of pace off the bench I don't see how he fits in up there. Since the link was mentioned I've been scratching my head and it could be he can't defend at all in which case it is nonsense. What I can't work out is why Nuno is so apparently keen given the players we already have in IF positions. Could be a masterstroke but equally could be a very expensive disaster.

This WB nonsense is doing my nut. There’s absolutely no chance of that.

The way he fits in the inside forward is the same as the others... Find pockets of space in between the lines and then pick it up a dribble, which Jota does very well. Traores touch, pace and dribbling make him very dangerous. In this sort of situation there is then less emphasis on crossing and more committing people and then finding an easy ball inside or a lay off or even taking a shot himself (although we generally seem hesitant to shoot from distance bar Neves).

I think he will be a good signing, and so does Nuno and that’s all that matters.

This WB nonsense is doing my nut. There’s absolutely no chance of that.

The way he fits in the inside forward is the same as the others... Find pockets of space in between the lines and then pick it up a dribble, which Jota does very well. Traores touch, pace and dribbling make him very dangerous. In this sort of situation there is then less emphasis on crossing and more committing people and then finding an easy ball inside or a lay off or even taking a shot himself (although we generally seem hesitant to shoot from distance bar Neves).

I think he will be a good signing, and so does Nuno and that’s all that matters.
See this is where I disagree completely, his head is always down (like Bright) so his runs are often random. He doesn't run into space deliberately or creatively from what I have seen so far. He looks like an old fashioned very direct winger to me with great pace and dribbling skills but little else hes not even a particularly good crosser of the ball.

The IF position is quite tactical and the runs are deliberate (take Leos drawing players out of position and the IF's running into said space) which was very effective for us in the early part of last season, I just don't think that Traore has the brain for that much like Bright.

I guess you guys see something I don't I think WB is closer to the role he plays now with massive question marks over ability to defend, as an IF I just don't see it at all.

Nuno has a plan clearly, and I trust whatever judgment he makes (the Coady example is a good one) but I really think Traore other than a late impact sub would be a disaster in that position.

You are right Nuno knows best so we will see what happens.

A few points on Traore.

The lad has serious pace. Not just kinda quick but blistering outrun-anyone-pace. Coupled with excellent close control and dribbling skills he could be very dangerous in the inside forward role. Doesn't matter if he can't cross to save his life, unless he's our new rwb (no) he'll hardly need to. He *could* be extremely effective if it works out, defences will be scared stiff playing with a high line against him and Jota/Costa.

He is a very different player to Cav, and to a certain extent Jota. It's all about pace and directly challenging defenders mostly on the counter. Cav I see as a more creative player working better in the space between defence and midfield and more focused on setting up others rather than recieveing through balls. Whatever you think of their respective overall quality they would not be employed the same way - rather then being direct competitors as such it would probably be more up to Nuno's tactical choices who plays (I personally suspect he would far more often prefer a Traore, but thst's another matter).

£18 m is peanuts for a 22 yo forward player of (assumed) PL quality. The £13 m we paid for Costa would be at least 20 today. We literally have more money than we are able to spend atm.

A few points on Traore.

The lad has serious pace. Not just kinda quick but blistering outrun-anyone-pace. Coupled with excellent close control and dribbling skills he could be very dangerous in the inside forward role. Doesn't matter if he can't cross to save his life, unless he's our new rwb (no) he'll hardly need to. He *could* be extremely effective if it works out, defences will be scared stiff playing with a high line against him and Jota/Costa.

He is a very different player to Cav, and to a certain extent Jota. It's all about pace and directly challenging defenders mostly on the counter. Cav I see as a more creative player working better in the space between defence and midfield and more focused on setting up others rather than recieveing through balls. Whatever you think of their respective overall quality they would not be employed the same way - rather then being direct competitors as such it would probably be more up to Nuno's tactical choices who plays (I personally suspect he would far more often prefer a Traore, but thst's another matter).

£18 m is peanuts for a 22 yo forward player of (assumed) PL quality. The £13 m we paid for Costa would be at least 20 today. We literally have more money than we are able to spend atm.
I hope you are right and I agree on his pace hes unbelievably fast, which is a trait I like I just hope he can link better than I have seen so far.

That's what he is going to be. Due to us having rather better players than him in those forward positions.

And he is not a fucking wing back. It would be a disaster area. Ask any Boro forum about that idea. You can hear the laughing from Pendeford.

He would needs months of work to be that player. Months.

Nash just tweeted Douglas Costa, and Chris Smalling.
That would be a fantastic double signing

On his video you saw more of him hugging the touchline because that's where Boro played him. There were still a few of him running more centrally and one or two on the left as well, so I have no doubt he can play either side as an IF. Having the skill to run at and beat players translates anywhere in an attacking position IMO.

Having both Cav and Traore as an option for either IF makes us stronger in depth too. We're bound to have injuries and the odd suspension. If we only had Cav as backup and he had to play, then we'd be left with MGW as the only AM in the squad.

Having both Cav and Traore as an option for either IF makes us stronger in depth too. We're bound to have injuries and the odd suspension. If we only had Cav as backup and he had to play, then we'd be left with MGW as the only AM in the squad.

The thing with that is - Bright was nominally the fourth choice last season. He started 0 league games after August and made 2 sub appearances after January.

Whoever it is hardly plays.

I'd say that was more down to it being Bright than anything else. He clearly wasn't ready for the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back