• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about bad, I can see that he has some ability even if it tends towards the circus freak end of things. Marcos Rojo is bad, the kind of player I wouldn't want on a free and being paid £70 a week. Traore is not in that bracket.

I just don't think he's for us given how much he'll cost, where our squad is and I find the "Nuno will improve him" arguments to be fanciful at best.

This is why stats in isolation mean nothing in football. There needs to be correlation and the stats produced in that article (and many others) don't do that. Wolves play a different style to Boro under Pulis and Traore played in a completely different role to Costa, Jota or Cav.

We play with inside forwards for a start not wingers. We have 3 outlets for the ball going forward and the wing backs provide the width. Boro played with out and out wingers and a direct style of play that forced the ball forward. Wolves played a patient build up and used possession in large parts so the opposition didn't have the ball. Pulis likes his wide men to get on the ball from knock downs and run at full backs. Traore was their one outlet. Should Traore's stats be used in comparison to all 3 of Costa, Cav and Jota? Should it be based on end product, should it be a percentage of goals, when those goals were scored or who against? What about the opposition tactics and ability of the opposition, should we statistically factor that in too?

Stats mean nothing in isolation and are used to back up an entrenched position, a false position in most cases that mean nothing but to say on the internet 'I'm right and this is why'.

Probably your best post on this thread.

Seems to be the effect I have on people who voted Brexit

Normal service resumed.

Here you go, the first post is where you were asked who Traore would replace:

I guess my humour was lost on your sensitive soul. Seems to be the effect I have on people who voted Brexit.

That’s disagreeing without saying anything negative about the other person. I can have a different view without being abusive.

You’ll probably manage it one day :)

I don't know about bad, I can see that he has some ability even if it tends towards the circus freak end of things. Marcos Rojo is bad, the kind of player I wouldn't want on a free and being paid £70 a week. Traore is not in that bracket.

I just don't think he's for us given how much he'll cost, where our squad is and I find the "Nuno will improve him" arguments to be fanciful at best.
Nuno thinks he does.

Mick McCarthy thought he could make something of Freddy Eastwood.

If we do sign him, I'm trying to think of the last time we bought someone so divisive, probably Leon...there were a few that were in favour.

Traore was playing as an out and out winger, if that's what we are looking for then you could argue we still have that in Jordan Graham. Jordan Graham is not an IF and neither is Traore and that's why I worry about spunking 18 million I think its a huge gamble.

He obviously has talent but he also seems to have a lot of Bright like characteristics, which worries me immensely.

If we do sign him, I'm trying to think of the last time we bought someone so divisive, probably Leon...there were a few that were in favour.

But with Leon we had already been bitten and still signed him back lol!

This is why I love football, so many different opinions.

All I'd say is if we do sign him, even if you didn't want us to, back him. Nuno is pretty ruthless with team selection so if he's rubbish Nuno won't play him to prove a point

On Traore, I have always seen him just as a pacey player with some dribbling skills that is missing something when it comes to crosses, shooting or decisive passes..

The pricetag is a bit on the high side, but he give us something different and I would actually sign him. I think Nuno and his coaches can develop him further, then he will be deadly to other teams..

Can't really see him defend as an RWB though, but who knows..

This is why I love football, so many different opinions.

All I'd say is if we do sign him, even if you didn't want us to, back him. Nuno is pretty ruthless with team selection so if he's rubbish Nuno won't play him to prove a point

Correct

And now it's not as if we spunk the whole budget on one signing.

I can see a benefit sure. But I can't see Traore starting ahead of our current options where he would play and I definitely can't see him being converted to a right wing back berth. Even if that was a long term idea, there simply isn't enough time to train the bloke in the requirements of that position before the season and throwing him into a new role cold would be completely unfair on him and most probably act to the detriment of results

If Traore does come in then can only see us using him initially as a latish sub to run at defences that are tiring

Will need to have time to get up to speed with the way this team plays in attack which has mainly been with quick one touch passing to get around the defence - the Sheff Utd goal for Jota was a perfect example as their were more defenders in shot than attackers when we started the move

Haha caught me - I edited to try and be nicer :)

Failed.

You seem to be missing the point about using stats to reinforce your opinion and I challenged your use of stats and the lack of correlation with those stats. You didn't answer my question and chose to defend your right to have an opinion.

Funny, I seem to be seeing a lot of this argument but another thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back