• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what the manager is asking of you, the way Wolves use wingbacks would make it very difficult to play on your weaker side as it completely negates your effectiveness if you always need to check back onto your stronger foot and kill the momentum of an attack. You can get away with more as a full back as you won't have much an attacking emphasis and often have another wide player in front to provide width so coming inside onto your stronger foot doesn't hamper team shape as much.

Okay, so if we accept that Jonny is right footed (after only seeing him for 45 minutes), then I'd say we've made a recruiting mistake if we're going to buy a player who has played on the left for the majority of the past 4 years and just expect him to take over on the right hand side.

Okay, so if we accept that Jonny is right footed (after only seeing him for 45 minutes), then I'd say we've made a recruiting mistake if we're going to buy a player who has played on the left for the majority of the past 4 years and just expect him to take over on the right hand side.
Who's to say he hasn't been crying out for an opportunity to switch back over to his stronger side? Phil Neville barely got a sniff at right back in his United career thanks to his brother but no-one would've batted an eyelid if he'd gone and played there every game he was at Everton. Not every player stays in one position their whole career, sometimes they change out of necessity, like Ward at Wolves, others it will be a natural progression, like Bale, but it's not always permanent.

Like penk said above we will at times play 5 at the back, as we did against city last season. Then having a more competent full back will be very useful.

Sounds like square pegs in round holes to me.

Generally speaking, if you buy a player based on his performances in a certain position, don't play him somewhere else once you've got him.

Sounds like square pegs in round holes to me.

Generally speaking, if you buy a player based on his performances in a certain position, don't play him somewhere else once you've got him.

I would say playing a right footed player as a left wing back is a square peg in a round hole.

I don't have a problem with Baz going in isolation. I think defensively he's suspect and offensively no better than ok. Today I saw Jonny try to replace him, who doesn't have a left foot and Giles get absolutely creamed for their winning goal. Unless Vinagre is the answer if we don't get a replacement we have a big issue.

I would say playing a right footed player as a left wing back is a square peg in a round hole.

Normally, yes. But in this case, it's not quite like that.

Also, transfermarkt (however reliable they are) have him listed as two footed.

I don't have a problem with Baz going in isolation. I think defensively he's suspect and offensively no better than ok. Today I saw Jonny try to replace him, who doesn't have a left foot and Giles get absolutely creamed for their winning goal. Unless Vinagre is the answer if we don't get a replacement we have a big issue.

I'd say you are unnecessarily shitting yourself about a pre-season friendly.

If Jonny has been playing LB in La Liga for years and attracting Atletico to buy him, I'm hazarding a guess that he's alright there and can use his left foot fine.

Like Pad says people need to stop pant wetting over a pre-season friendly. It was his first ever mins in a new team and new country.

Disappointed that Douglas has gone, thought he earned his chance in the Prem. His signing in the first place was a revelation, first saw him in the home friendly against Leicester and he was fantastic, had to keep pinching myself when I saw that we had an actual, left-footed left-back in the correct position. That Tweet mocking us for signing him while Terry went to Villa is brilliant to look back on. We'll miss his corners and free-kicks, his delivery from dead ball situations was some of the best I have seen. You can't keep a guy just for set pieces of course, but I find it a shame he is gone. Hopefully we have an improvement. Best of luck for the future, Baz.

And THAT is exactly why a group of fans are shitting themselves. Douglas has gone. A bit of perspective is going to be handy here. I don't mean you White Wolf, it is general "Douglas has gone and we didn't win so we are shit" that is pervading the fan base.

If Jonny has been playing LB in La Liga for years and attracting Atletico to buy him, I'm hazarding a guess that he's alright there and can use his left foot fine.

Bingo.

Christ look on the bright side this time last year we lost to Shrewsbury 2-0 least this year we scored

Like Pad says people need to stop pant wetting over a pre-season friendly. It was his first ever mins in a new team and new country.
We don't play with a left back though. Wilson wanted to fall over more than take a man on yesterday so you couldn't make a judgement defensively, but yes as you say I'm sure that element of his game will be more than ok. He's not a natural LWB though, he may grow into one and would no doubt flourish on the opposite side as Doherty's replacement, but I think we need to bring one in.

I'd say you are unnecessarily $#@!ting yourself about a pre-season friendly.
Perhaps. I couldn't give a monkeys about the result, Derby played at about 90% and we were at about 70 and were using it predominantly as a fitness exercise. Nevertheless you can see certain things and I stand by neither Saiss or Jonny looking comfortable in the positions they were playing. I get that pre season is all about experimentation and adjusting to things, but if the plan is for either of those two to be first choice in those positions there is a lot of work to do. Switch them to the opposite side and I'm sure they'd both benefit.

Exactly as above. I rather enjoyed the sight of a left footed wing back playing at LWB last year. I thought we looked defensively vulnerable down both flnaks yesterday and yes, it was only a friendly but - as TT says - neither Jonny or Saiss looked comfortable

My maim worry is whether the midfield two has enough defensive discipline tbh. Saiss made both wingbacks look less vulnerable last season by dropping in to cover and then being able to actually defend. There's a difference between dropping in to cover and getting rinsed because that's not your game, and dropping in the cover competently. I do worry that the neves and moutinho partnership is a little arrogant tbh. Neves has a good attitude defensively but let's be honest he just legs people up most of the time :icon_lol:

I think they are valid concerns. Obviously I'm delighted we have Moutinho, but style wise he's not the midfield partner I envisaged us signing to play alongside Neves. It looks like we will be set up to focus on when we have the ball and will be relying on our shape defensively.

Although it's not without dangers I think it'll be refreshing to see a none Top 6 PL side play that way. Most teams are just concerned with being compact and hard to break down.

Sad to see Douglas go, he was pivotal on set pieces and would have been nice to have a right- and left footed freekick taker too..but he has signed for Leeds now so discussion is over..on playing players only in the position they have played before..look at Coady, Wardy, and Pep has changed the position of some players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back