• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to judge Jonny or Moutinho yet based on less than a full game in a pre-season friendly, and after only a couple of days training whilst trying to sorting out their move to England.

He was simply not good enough defensively or quick enough for the premier league. Sad to see him go, but this isn't the NFL and we can't carry player simply because they are good at set pieces.

100% correct. Wish him well though. Still love seeing Lonergan shrug his shoulders after that free kick. Basically made us 4m

Best of luck to him, slightly concerned by the reports of Jonny Otto being weak with his actual left foot. Having that overlap man being left footed is key for the wingback, not that fussed about elsewhere but fb/wb it's a must for me.

Surely he’s only played there because one LWB back is on U21s duty and the other is yet to sign?

I’ll guess once the above scenario is no longer, he’ll go to the right.

We are signing a wing back either way - whether it’s to upgrade Doc or replace Baz.

We would be ok as we are at WB if we didn't get another in. One more would be ideal on either side, but if not then Jonny/Doc/Vinagre for two spots is ok given Jonny can play either side.

I think we'll be looking for another RWB, not the other side.

For me that is a leap of faith for both Doc and Vinagre when Doc has played one game in a top tier and Ruben has played very little senior football

Jonny has played on the left almost exclusively since 2016 and for the majority of the time going back to 2014. I don't think we're going to change that now.

Agreed. I think Vinagre is the LWB if we don't get Zinchenko etc etc etc.

I am confident that Jonny will be fucking ace on the other side. He showed some good stuff today but his left foot is shall we say not his best.

Jonny has played on the left almost exclusively since 2016 and for the majority of the time going back to 2014. I don't think we're going to change that now.

Why sign Zinchenko if we already have two left sided players and only one right?

For me that is a leap of faith for both Doc and Vinagre when Doc has played one game in a top tier and Ruben has played very little senior football
I was mainly talking about the amount of cover was just about ok.

Why sign Zinchenco if we already have two left sided players and only one right?

Hard to say. Maybe we do see Zinchenko as a CM rather than LWB. Maybe we enquired about him first but then signed Jonny when it became clear Zinchenko was not in a rush to come here. Or maybe we are going to play Jonny on the right. Of the three, IMO right now I'd say the third option is the least likely given just how long it's been since Jonny had an extended run at RB.

Problem now is Zinchenko would only be cover for CM and LWB. I'd be amazed if he chose to come here now.

Problem now is Zinchenko would only be cover for CM and LWB. I'd be amazed if he chose to come here now.

I’m of the opinion we’ll have a defensive and a n attacking wing back for both sides and depending who we play will depend which one plays.

Hardly the same kind of switch as moving from left to right or vice versa, though.
Depends what the manager is asking of you, the way Wolves use wingbacks would make it very difficult to play on your weaker side as it completely negates your effectiveness if you always need to check back onto your stronger foot and kill the momentum of an attack. You can get away with more as a full back as you won't have much an attacking emphasis and often have another wide player in front to provide width so coming inside onto your stronger foot doesn't hamper team shape as much.

Depends what the manager is asking of you, the way Wolves use wingbacks would make it very difficult to play on your weaker side as it completely negates your effectiveness if you always need to check back onto your stronger foot and kill the momentum of an attack. You can get away with more as a full back as you won't have much an attacking emphasis and often have another wide player in front to provide width so coming inside onto your stronger foot doesn't hamper team shape as much.

THIS. ALL OF THIS

Seems Sarri is going to play 4-3-3 at Chelsea. Cheeky bid for Victor Moses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back