• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to have another option for times like when Jota lost his mojo after being constantly subjected to GBH, therew as nobody really to take his place and give him a much needed breather. Not saying Traore's that player but I've just never been comfortable with just three players covering those two positions.

Double edged sword, isn't it. Look at United, they now have Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lingard playing for three places. Someone doesn't play or always gets shoved out of position and they get pissed off.

I think it's more a case of me not believing we will sell him as why would we? (ie I don't want us to sell him)
He didn't finish games or maybe even start games but he popped up with quite a few goals and assists and I don't think Traore would replace his output.
We basically had 5 into 3 last season so two of Jota, Bonatini, Costa, Cav and Afobe were not going to start. That is no reason to dismiss his appearances as an on fire 3 of Costa, Bonatini, Jota is hard to break up and even when Leo wasn't scoring he was contributing to the effectiveness of the team

Hope that explains my "bollocks"

For the record i want to keep him too, i think he is better than Traore and his explosive nature was huge for us last season.

Which is exactly why I am worried that us signing someone who plays in his position for 18million may see the back of him, especially when you factor in the other points which alone are meaningless, but collectively they compound.

Double edged sword, isn't it. Look at United, they now have Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lingard playing for three places. Someone doesn't play or always gets shoved out of position and they get pissed off.

It is a double edged sword, you're right mate. We'll have less games as well which adds to the quandary. I suppose if we bring in another striker then Jota's chances of playing through the middle will be limited, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable with Bright or MGW as our backup wide options in the PL. Again, not advocating that Traore is the man to solve all of these non-existant (yet) issues, and I suppose it's a good job it's not down to the majority of football fans to decide how to use a squad.

I still prefer MGW for one of the wider forward positions or a no 10 in a slight system change, from what I have seen Goncalves is a better option at the moment alongside Neves should Moutinho & Saiss get injured. On the subject of Cav not finishing matches its no surprise to me he runs himself into the ground every time he plays, he could play with less intensity and last longer sure but I love the Cav of last season even if he is a squad player and impact sub.

I still prefer MGW for one of the wider forward positions or a no 10 in a slight system change, from what I have seen Goncalves is a better option at the moment alongside Neves should Moutinho & Saiss get injured. On the subject of Cav not finishing matches its no surprise to me he runs himself into the ground every time he plays, he could play with less intensity and last longer sure but I love the Cav of last season even if he is a squad player and impact sub.

Maybe that's exactly it, Traore and Cav share the role on a game to game basis, not sure how workable that is in practice, but in theory it could work.

Best also sign a 13'4'' forward for the games Traore plays so he can reach his crosses.

Maybe that's exactly it, Traore and Cav share the role on a game to game basis, not sure how workable that is in practice, but in theory it could work.

Isn't Traore naturally right sided? I thought Jota and Cav would cover the left and Costa and Traore sharing the right. If Traore signs that is.

Yes I agree it could and of course it would mean quality cover should Jota or Costa get injured.

Stoke have just signed Tom Ince for the same price we paid for Willy Boly

So Mr. Spiers has come out swinging today after Nash has had all the exclusives recently.

Spiers "gathers" that "Wolves hope to sign two more players before the August 9 deadline - a box to box central midfielder and a forward. A £16m deal for Zinchenko remains on the table. His versatility is a big attraction. There is interest in Adama Traore but nothing currently active on that front as there are plenty of clubs in for him".

He then goes on to say there is "nothing in the links to Andre Silva or Gelson Martins. For those asking about a CB, Saiss is set to start the season at RCB so there are six players who can play across the back".

There we go - some interesting developments.

Boly-Coady-Saiss appears to be our first choice back three - meaning I very much doubt another defender will be coming in before the window closes. Saiss is our "new CB", if you will. Bennett, Hause & potentially Batth as back up. Not sure how I feel about a back three that contains two midfielders by trade. I guess you could say Coady looks better as a defender than he ever did in midfield - and Saiss has played plenty of football for his country at the back - but it could be considered a tad risky at the top level. Not much pace in that three either.

That should also pour some cold water on the "Traore/Cav" debate for a few days at least.

Yerry Mina to sign tomorrow then.

Britney with an opinion on social media chattering at least 24hrs to late. He's fucking useless.

£18m for a sub?
Well it all depends on if he can realise his potential. Personally at the moment I don't think he's worth anything close to that but clearly Nuno does. It may also be the fee reported is incorrect however forgetting money for a moment as a player with raw pace he could be useful.

I'm certainly not fully in board with the move but if it is to happen I just don't see him replacing Jota or Costa on the starting 11 straight away so he will have to work his way in from the bench along with Cav.

Yerry Mina to sign tomorrow then.

Britney with an opinion on social media chattering at least 24hrs to late. He's fucking useless.

Either that or he's actually spoken to someone at the club today who's given him the info. Nash has been pretty good with some early exclusives recently but he's also got a lot wrong. I don't think Spiers tweets stuff these days unless he's certain on the info.

Well it all depends on if he can realise his potential. Personally at the moment I don't think he's worth anything close to that but clearly Nuno does. It may also be the fee reported is incorrect however forgetting money for a moment as a player with raw pace he could be useful.

I'm certainly not fully in board with the move but if it is to happen I just don't see him replacing Jota or Costa on the starting 11 straight away so he will have to work his way in from the bench along with Cav.

I agree with your last paragraph which is why I can't see the point in signing him.

Either that or he's actually spoken to someone at the club today who's given him the info. Nash has been pretty good with some early exclusives recently but he's also got a lot wrong. I don't think Spiers tweets stuff these days unless he's certain on the info.

Tim: Hi is there any news?

Club source: Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back