• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2016/17

Think that would probably be the line-up for the first game (assuming no ins/outs as you say) possibly Mason for Edwards?

I have a feeling Saville is the long-term competition (and eventually replacement) for Edwards in Jackett's eyes, and so we're unlikely to see the two of them starting at the same time.

Either way I still don't get how Mason fits into our squad at all, you have to bend things around awkwardly - and even drop better players - to get him on the field alongside Dicko. When everyone's fit, if we play 4-4-2 that means sacrificing one of Wallace/Graham/Zyro on the wings/playing as a number 10, while if we play a 4-3-3 he'd go... well, in the hole behind Dicko maybe? But we have better options for that role, and also for the two players either side of the front three. And he's not the right kind of striker to actually lead the line, either. Such a strange player to go all-out to try and sign.

yeah, we need Deano back to show the strikers what to do and develop them.... :)

Although he was quite the spaz of a manager our Deano to his credit did do a good job with getting SEB firing on all cylinders again so maybe you are on to something...:hmmm:

Last edited:
He even managed to make Doyle look good in patches as well.

On the other hand he had Nouha Dicko in his squad for over a month and played him on the wing...

He even managed to make Doyle look good in patches as well.

On the other hand he had Nouha Dicko in his squad for over a month and played him on the wing...

Without wanting to stick up for Saunders....most managers before he played at Rotherham put Dicko on the wing.

Without wanting to stick up for Saunders....most managers before he played at Rotherham put Dicko on the wing.

If he was so great with strikers he would've recognised his potential. Nouha would've told him that it was his preferred position.

SEB scored 5 in 14 under Saunders and 9 in 26 under Solbakken, pretty much the same output regardless of manager.

SEB scored 5 in 14 under Saunders and 9 in 26 under Solbakken, pretty much the same output regardless of manager.

Also up front by himself away at Wednesday in that 0-0 was when I knew we were going down if Saunders stayed, continually twatting it at him despite being marked by one of two massiver lugger cbs. It was dreadful and Seb looked pretty dejected despite running himself all over chasing sod all.

Oh for a striker who scores 14 in 40! Afobe was our top scorer with 9 league goals and we havent seen him since January.

Joe Mason would probably be that man if our wise manager could actually find a way to fucking use him.

Joe Mason would probably be that man if our wise manager could actually find a way to fucking use him.

I think he knows out to use him............just not with the players he has. We seemingly have an over flow of players who can play "just off the forward".........we just don't have an actual forward. Highlighted by trying to get Siggy to play in that role when he can't and he got the gig because he is a bit taller than the rest. Might as well have played Danny Batth in the position tbh.

I think he knows out to use him............just not with the players he has. We seemingly have an over flow of players who can play "just off the forward".........we just don't have an actual forward. Highlighted by trying to get Siggy to play in that role when he can't and he got the gig because he is a bit taller than the rest. Might as well have played Danny Batth in the position tbh.

I think this talk of Sigurdarson not being able to play as a lone forward is a bit of a misnomer, he's just not very good, that extended run he had at the end of the season he showed willingness to do the work and even some aptitude for the task at times but he just wasn't a good enough footballer to make it work, I don't think sticking someone else alongside him in a different formation would make any difference to that.

There definitely seems to be some confusion around Mason, or if not then some bullshit at least, when he signed he was bigged up as someone to play off a forward but then scored a few goals and Jackett has banging on about how good his movement in behind was, so after at least 12 months of scouting their thoughts on him managed to change within about 2 weeks of having signed him, top research. Now they seem to be lost on what to do with it, they haven't got a proper out and out forward to give Mason a go playing off of and they haven't got a midfield who can control a game sufficiently to give a bloke like Mason chance to get involved if he were playing as an out and out forward.

Joe Mason is a #9 in the SEB, Billy Sharp and Robbie Fowler mould. He's never a #10 in a million years. If Jackett waned to pick a big man to play off him or an attacking midfielder who could get on the ball and feed little balls into the box (Sigurdsson for example) for him he'll score plenty.

Humping balls to Mason as a lone forward or expecting him to run from deep onto flick-on's is a bloody waste of a player as Mason doesn't have the strength of a lone striker or pace to run from deep. If I can see that then I bloody well expect Jackett and the recruitment buffoons to have seen it too. Stupid clowns that they are.

Its difficult to understand Kenny Jackett when it comes to attacking play, there seems little plan or tactical theory. Very difficult to work out which of his possible combinations could actually work, and how he links back to front is baffling.

Its difficult to understand Kenny Jackett when it comes to attacking play, there seems little plan or tactical theory. Very difficult to work out which of his possible combinations could actually work, and how he links back to front is baffling.

It can't be just the people on several forums that see this though. He is an experienced coach with experienced staff at hand, why on earth is he making such a mess of this?

It can't be just the people on several forums that see this though. He is an experienced coach with experienced staff at hand, why on earth is he making such a mess of this?

I think he is stubborn with a fixed mindset who doesn't alter his mindset to suit the players at his disposal. He just seems to be waiting for the perfect fit to enable his thought process to bring some better results. No flexibility.

Similar situation with Wallace. If you take three different quotes from KJ about Jed throughout the season (one from when we signed him, one before his loan and one after) you'd think he was talking about 3 different players.

Similar situation with Wallace. If you take three different quotes from KJ about Jed throughout the season (one from when we signed him, one before his loan and one after) you'd think he was talking about 3 different players.

The one thing you want as a footballer particularly one coming into a new club is for the coach to define your role. Then you can work to the coaches requirements without any ambiguity.

Joe masons career stats don't suggest he's a goal scorer. Me watching him doesn't change that either. Average striker we've somehow spent £3m on.

Back