• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Haven't we started seeing some of our youngsters start to make a move out to Germany? Sando is one from City but I'm sure there are more.

Unfortunately I have heard the term " golden generation " banded around a number of times over the last 20 years and with little or no success at international level. For once however that term could be right. We have beaten the world playing skillful football at 2 levels u17 and u 20 and it would be a criminal waste if that did not translate to success internationally. That, I believe , is what happened with Spain Portugal and Germany with their golden youngsters. I want England to do the same. I do completely take trips point about English players playing abroad. But that takes us back to the money in the UK game. An excellent champions youngster will make much more money going to man city reserves and never kicking a ball in anger in the premier league than transferring to Torino and playing 30 first team games a season for half the money.

There is little doubt in my mind that the PL indirectly blocks the opportunity for English youngsters. There is equally no doubt that Brexit will not affect this one iota for the reasons stated by DW. The PL doesn't give a stuff about the England team and neither do most managers. The immediacy of the need for success means there isn't an incentive for a manager to blood a youngster for his own development unless there is either an injury crisis or he is confident they are ready. Big clubs have large strong squads further reduces the chances of all but the very best coming through.

Last edited:
There is little doubt in my mind that the PL indirectly blocks the opportunity for English youngsters. There is equally no doubt that Brexit will not affect this one iota for the reasons stated by DW. The PL doesn't give a stuff about the England team and neither do most managers. The immediacy of the need for success means there isn't an incentive for a manager to blood a youngster for his own development unless there is either an injury crisis or he is confident they are ready. Big clubs have large strong squads further reduces the chances of all birthed very best coming through.

Which is why I would like to see significant chnages in the football league structure including the opportunity for the B team to play in the league like some other countries.It would take a restructure but the appetite may be there to do it.

Premier League 18 teams
Championship 20 teams
league 1 20 teams
League 2 North 20 teams
League 2 South 20 teams

Lets say to start with the top 6 sides in the premier league can play their B side in league 2 North or south 3 in each. That makes 92 clubs + 6 B sides giving 98. Less travel for the league 2 sides. Promotion available from the conference/ national league as normal. At least the youngsters would be playing competitive football week in week out in front of a few throusand rather than warming their arse on a premier league bench. Of course there would have to be some rules but it has to be better than the current system. This way you play fewer games, often travel less giving more opportunity for international fixtures that are meaningful.

Australia 2-0 up in their play off 2nd leg and 10 minutes away from qualification.

Good. Honduras are a horrible side.

I'm actually going to agree with Cyber on something! I've thought for a while that the league should be restructured into 5 divisions with fewer teams in each division.

I'm not keen on the idea of Premier teams being able to field their B sides in the league though. I'm not sure what it would achieve playing against League 1/League 2 opposition. There are too many youngsters at the top clubs not getting the game time they need at the right level but I'd rather see them join other Premier teams as long as they get a chance (like Abraham rather than Solanke).

3-0. Jedniak hattrick.

Well deserved victory over two legs. Thankfully.

I will be up in the early hours to watch New Zealand likely lose to Peru.

I'm actually going to agree with Cyber on something! I've thought for a while that the league should be restructured into 5 divisions with fewer teams in each division.

I'm not keen on the idea of Premier teams being able to field their B sides in the league though. I'm not sure what it would achieve playing against League 1/League 2 opposition. There are too many youngsters at the top clubs not getting the game time they need at the right level but I'd rather see them join other Premier teams as long as they get a chance (like Abraham rather than Solanke).

Yeah I agree with the first paragraph but I don't like the idea of Premier League sides getting to field other teams in other competitions. I disagree with what's happened in the Checkatrade Trophy for example. Regionalising League 2 and splitting it makes sense though.

I'm actually going to agree with Cyber on something! .

giphy.gif

Yeah, it won't be happening. The Championship is a bloody mess in particular, far too many games diluting the quality of football massively. Apart from the odd team (say, us and Fulham last season) the football on show is awful almost every game I watch on Sky at this level.

I have actually come round to the idea of a B team system, as it could benefit player development in England but I can't ever see it taking off.

For me we have to accept the way things are. There is plenty of money in the top league and decent money in the championship, enough to put it on a par pay wise with many european top leagues. If the wealthy clubs have so much money , and they do, then a B team system playing lower down the leragues might be beneficial. Perhaps even allowing bigger clubs to own up to 49% of a league one or 2 club would also be good. Better ties, better player development, better standard of football could all happen then. Lets face it , the whole game chnaged with sky and you cant undo that. A player will want to make the most money in their career .

Ok heres another grenade for the forum.

Central contracts.

30 players.

England contracts

Country first club second

Paid for by sky.
Discuss

My twopeneth. England cricket has significantly imporved since the introduction of central contracts in all forms of the game. We even spent a time as world number one. Central contracxts dont mean that you cant play for your team , just that your country has first dibs. I bet the injury list would reduce. I also bet the standard would improve and the quality of footbal. It would also enable England to attract a top manager as they would have a consistent number of players to work with and could actually coach a system.

Ok heres another grenade for the forum.

Central contracts.

30 players.

England contracts

Country first club second

Paid for by sky.
Discuss

My twopeneth. England cricket has significantly imporved since the introduction of central contracts in all forms of the game. We even spent a time as world number one.

The county cricket structure is propped up by the support of the ECB and the money that it makes from International matches.

Premier League clubs don't have to rely on support from the FA so if the request was going to come in regarding central contracts they'd tell the FA to jog on. Also foreign owners of many Premier League Clubs aren't going to give a flying duck about how the national team is doing.

There is little doubt in my mind that the PL indirectly blocks the opportunity for English youngsters. There is equally no doubt that Brexit will not affect this one iota for the reasons stated by DW. The PL doesn't give a stuff about the England team and neither do most managers. The immediacy of the need for success means there isn't an incentive for a manager to blood a youngster for his own development unless there is either an injury crisis or he is confident they are ready. Big clubs have large strong squads further reduces the chances of all but the very best coming through.

Agree with this, yet the whole business case for the Premier League, was a strong English team.

I find it bizarre that there are much better footballing teams in League One than The Championship. The reward and costs of promotion and failure are so great in this league that managers throw any good football out of the window because they are scared shitless of not going up and getting sacked. It's just a shame is all.

The county cricket structure is propped up by the support of the ECB and the money that it makes from International matches.

Premier League clubs don't have to rely on support from the FA so if the request was going to come in regarding central contracts they'd tell the FA to jog on. Also foreign owners of many Premier League Clubs aren't going to give a flying duck about how the national team is doing.

I agree. Doesnt make it right though and as fans what do we want? A premier league where, Leicester aside its the same old same old top 6 every year? We had more fun watching the Leciester year and debating it than I had seen on here for a while. Ok ,if it is all about the money ,then just scrap international football if it really is that meaningless or create systems that put the international game , quite correctly, at the pinnicle of the sport. Representing your country should be your highest honour availlable not 3 million quid playing for Man City ala Toure! Now I dont want to come over as some old golf club duffer ( too late (C) Langers 2016) but we are fast approcahing a time in football when we will see it dominated world wide by the same few teams

Back