• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

I remember 1976 against Liverpool last game of the season. It didn't end well....

Top 4 is probably beyond us, but we should absolutely be pushing for top 6.

A couple of defeats doesn't mean our seasons finished, two very tough away games. This season will go to the wire I'm sure of it
We have 6 fixtures coming up where you would hope for points from each of them , either a win or a draw.-we realistically need 10 points from those 6 games to keep up considering we have a tough run in.
I remember 1976 against Liverpool last game of the season. It didn't end well....
First half was ok. Stevie K IIRC?

We have 6 fixtures coming up where you would hope for points from each of them , either a win or a draw.-we realistically need 10 points from those 6 games to keep up considering we have a tough run in.

First half was ok. Stevie K IIRC?
Yea. Second half did for us...

Well Spurs aren’t going to complicate things by winning the FA Cup so probably just Southampton who can throw a spanner in the works like Arsenal did two years ago.

Just can’t be having City and Liverpool draw each other in the quarters.

Chelsea, Liverpool and City all avoid each other although are all away

also, man city getting southampton could be positive for us.

I think we're out of this now, was always a very slim chance but with Arsenal's current form and them having 3 games in hand it's gone. However we are still well in the race for 5-6-7th.
Didn't think I'd be saying that in September

Top four is out but 6th/7th is still very much up for grabs. Need to get a big haul in early though with City, Chelsea and Liverpool all near the end.

Not drawing many (indeed any since before Christmas) is helping to keep us in there.

Top four is out but 6th/7th is still very much up for grabs. Need to get a big haul in early though with City, Chelsea and Liverpool all near the end.

Not drawing many (indeed any since before Christmas) is helping to keep us in there.
I think Utd might still go on the slide, they've got some terrific individuals obviously but they're very fragile

Go back a few seasons ago when City finished second to Liverpool . City had a really poor season by their standards , losing something like 8/9 league games ( including 2 to us ) , but yet finished a comfortable 2nd in the table . One of the main reasons was that they hardly drew any games at all that seasons .
Draws can be a killer - it's only 1 more point than a defeat , yet never feels like a game that was nearly lost .

Wins give you momentum , defeats hurt you and should galvanise you to perform better . Draws do very little for you .

Go back a few seasons ago when City finished second to Liverpool . City had a really poor season by their standards , losing something like 8/9 league games ( including 2 to us ) , but yet finished a comfortable 2nd in the table . One of the main reasons was that they hardly drew any games at all that seasons .
Draws can be a killer - it's only 1 more point than a defeat , yet never feels like a game that was nearly lost .

Wins give you momentum , defeats hurt you and should galvanise you to perform better . Draws do very little for you .
i think it was the great Mick McCarthy who said it's better to win 2 and lose 3 than draw 5

Everyone around us seems to have 3 big/difficult games so we definitely are in thr hunt. A nice one coming up soon is Spurs play West Ham, so we need points now to really count, especially as mentioned our 3 difficult games at the end of the season

Of our next 6 games the 2 real tough ones are Newcastle away and Man City at home. The other 4 are all decidedly winnable if we play how we are capable of playing.

Play like we did against Palace and we'll be lucky to win any of them!

Spurs are a difficult side to predict but of their 11 games 7 are against sides in the bottom half. 6 of Utd's 9 are as well.
Still looks like 62 for 6th and 59 for 7th to me. 4 wins, 1 draw, 4 defeats for 7th.

Back