• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Is it just me that tires of all this jargon that's come into football? Xg, SCA, low block, mid block, breaking the lines... etc, etc. I get what it all means, but I just find it a load of shite. Football is a simple game: attack, defend, score goals, and get players to be natural and skilful, rather than automatons drilled to the extreme. Its sad that all this bollocks has taken over junior football: get kids to be fucking skilful and creative.

Is it just me that tires of all this jargon that's come into football? Xg, SCA, low block, mid block, breaking the lines... etc, etc. I get what it all means, but I just find it a load of shite. Football is a simple game: attack, defend, score goals, and get players to be natural and skilful, rather than automatons drilled to the extreme. Its sad that all this bollocks has taken over junior football: get kids to be fucking skilful and creative.

4,4 fucking 2

All the over 40s are showing here!

But nothing has really changed they’ve just been given names?

And because there’s more data now there’s more stats.

The Paul Ince/ Harry Redknapp/ Frank Lampard/ Dave Jones school of management.

At the end of the day there are two stats that matter. Goals scored and goals conceded.

We are below par in one and exceptional in the other.
It'll just come down to how far down the why we are those things rabbit hole you want to go. A boring nil nil could have been an intriguing tactical battle between 2 managers making continual tactical tweaks. If we're playing villa I'll just want to watch 2 teams kicking a ball around hoping we score a few goals, if we're playing Brighton (under Potter) I'm not expecting a high scoring game so having a better tactical understanding can make it more entertaining/interesting.

One of the things I've found really interesting in the last few years is how teams(mainly the top ones) have switched to a 2-3-5 formation (City and Liverpool being the 2 most obvious examples) and you can see it in our games sometimes when we push forward with Saiss or Kilman becoming a 3rd midfielder.

For example I could tell you from what I’ve seen with my own eyes that Hwang has scored a few tap ins but has otherwise been largely useless.

Now if that had happened 20 years ago my opinion would still be the same. Someone else could say he’s our best player as he “knows where the net is”.

Now something like this below says that the truth is probably closer to my opinion than the other persons.

332D3CEB-F444-458B-9ACD-B44DFF6292C7.jpeg

xG is at least based on numbers through and through. It ay perfect but stats can never capture the whole picture, just the outcomes.

Shot Creating Action, though? That still sounds wildly up to interpretation.

xG is at least based on numbers through and through. It ay perfect but stats can never capture the whole picture, just the outcomes.

Shot Creating Action, though? That still sounds wildly up to interpretation.
Not really, it's an action leading to where a player could take a shot/ has attempted to take a shot. It's pretty definite.

That differs from an attempt at goal because the shot may be blocked or the player fouled as they were taking a shot.

If you like it's the creativity stat.

Not really, it's an action leading to where a player could take a shot/ has attempted to take a shot. It's pretty definite.

That differs from an attempt at goal because the shot may be blocked or the player fouled as they were taking a shot.

If you like it's the creativity stat.
As long as there's general agreeance as to what constitutes what. Still seems grey to me but I'd likely need it explained "live", so to speak.

Is it like a hockey assist? Like, the pass before the pass that counts as an assist would count as an SCA?

Data plays such a huge part in football these days. I can understand someone yearning for the good old days when football was a simple game but you can't deny the role it plays now. Unless you're Dean Saunders I suppose. 'Run fast and score goals' my arse.

If you're new to it I'd recommend reading something by Tom Worville, JJ Bull or Maram Al-Baharna. They break all the 'jargon' down in a really approachable way.

As long as there's general agreeance as to what constitutes what. Still seems grey to me but I'd likely need it explained "live", so to speak.

Is it like a hockey assist? Like, the pass before the pass that counts as an assist would count as an SCA?
It's more like potential assists.

The pass before the pass leading to an assist could be anything.

Data plays such a huge part in football these days. I can understand someone yearning for the good old days when football was a simple game but you can't deny the role it plays now. Unless you're Dean Saunders I suppose. 'Run fast and score goals' my arse.

If you're new to it I'd recommend reading something by Tom Worville, JJ Bull or Maram Al-Baharna. They break all the 'jargon' down in a really approachable way.
I'll add it to the list, right after my encyclopedia-sized books on .NET 6 and Azure.

Aside from this forum and watching Wolves (and smoking, I guess), I unfortunately don't have much free time these days.

It's more like potential assists.

The pass before the pass leading to an assist could be anything.
Put a pin in this for us to pick up again when I'm over.

Yuck, that was quite an office bullshit bingo thing to say.

I'll add it to the list, right after my encyclopedia-sized books on .NET 6 and Azure.

Aside from this forum and watching Wolves (and smoking, I guess), I unfortunately don't have much free time these days.
Sub to Tifo IRL, Tifo Football and The Athletic on YouTube. Easy 5-10 min watches, perfect pairing with a fat blunt and a takeaway.

Back