• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

Very sad news. Seen him plenty of times over the years in various musicals and pantomimes.

Met him once briefly - was as genuine in person as he came across on the screen

RIP Paul

Howell Williams 82, nobody famous, was a teacher at Aberfan school who helped children from his classroom escape after the disaster

The first major news story I have memories of, probably cos I was the same age as the kids involved, such a sad episode in British history.

Lockerbie is the first big one I really remember, I was 7.

I was in the Albion pub Lichfield road, whole pub went silent when it was announced on the tv

I was 10 months old when Aberfan happened, but as my Dads family came from Tredegar it was never going to be forgot, Leslie Whittle, Carl Bridgewater, Dunblaine, all etched in my memory, I remember passing someone on the stairs at work and them telling me a plane had just hit the World Trade Centre, waking up to sombre music when Diana died, then there was the ones that over affected me more than they should, Gary Speed for one?

Sean Lock really got me, and Bradley Lowery (the little boy Jermaine Defoe befriended)

Another one that was really chilling, the first gulf War, I was on nights, sitting having my 'dinner' listening to the radio, a BBC reporter based in Bagdad talking about a missile cruising past his hotel window.

The World Trade Centre was the one for me. I was at work when it happened and no-one could believe what we were seeing.

My first big world memories are Elvis dying and the Silver Jubilee (not connected as far as I know). I was 4 1/2

The World Trade Centre was the one for me. I was at work when it happened and no-one could believe what we were seeing.
Your first memory of the news is from when you were in your 20s?

I was properly scared when the first gulf war land offensive kicked off, mind you I think everyone else involved in it was as well.
I remember dunblane unfolding dinner time ish, then it seemed hungerford happened not long after ( I’ll have to google that, probably nowhere close)
I was working nights on airport transfers when Diana went from having an accident, injured, badly injured, seriously injured to dead fairly quick( well most of the night)

Was bringing people back from an onion factory in Spalding when the twin towers happened, couple of days later I opened up the office walked in and four men were sitting in there,they flashed the warrant cards and they were anti terrorism and special branch.
We’d all had a ‘death threat’ of a guy working for us who we knew as Libyan Sammi (osama Saeed) who said in this letter a mighty jihad is coming, the mighty armies of allah will rise up world wide and kill you and every other none believer and we will take over America.
Wed reported this to Lincolnshire police just in case, and well they’d obviously passed it on to somewhere else.
Amazing what you recall when asked.

I remember the drought of 76, can’t think of anything earlier.

Just googled it, hungerford was August 87,
Dunblane was March 96.
So not close, and not even the right way round.
If I can’t get the basics right feel free to ignore everything else.

Just googled it, hungerford was August 87,
Dunblane was March 96.
So not close, and not even the right way round.
If I can’t get the basics right feel free to ignore everything else.
Think you meant Lockerbie rather than Dunblane.

Back