• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

All those Italians who ran on the pitch should be given yellow cards. Belgium useless, Italy worthy winners.

Belgium very poor. I expected more from their attack. Though starting jokers like Fellaini doesn't help.

Belguim were dreadful Italy played with far more intelligence and technical ability.

Pelle worth his goal tonight. Impressed with him tonight.

Extremely impressed with Italy. Plenty of good football and a solid gameplan. Might be a bit different vs Ireland/Sweden as they look to defend but that was a top display.

Belgium were poor, for the love of God please stop putting KdB wide to accomodate Fellaini.

Belgium very poor. I expected more from their attack. Though starting jokers like Fellaini doesn't help.

he causes as many problems for his own team than he does for the opposition. just getting in the way and just doesn't suit the style of the other players. an advanced centre midfield player should have picked up a few chances from loose balls in front of Italy's back 4 tonight.

Lukaku was dreadful as well. Poor movement and he seemed to be hanging on the shoulder of the last defender for crosses which then never reached him. first touch awful.

Really impressed with the way they played out from the back with their front three. De Rossi made the system work so well I thought.

Belgium nothing we didn't know already. Not sure how Fellaini seems to get consistently picked under several different managers. At Everton I could understand it but United and Belgium have infinitely better footballers who could play instead of him.

I'll forgive Lukaku a bad night as he has been in great form for club and country the last few months

Belgium have so many very fine players, and I cannot understand why they gave such a disjointed performance.

I'll forgive Lukaku a bad night as he has been in great form for club and country the last few months
He looked a bit leggy a la Harry Kane TBH. Would give them both another start though.

He looked a bit leggy a la Harry Kane TBH. Would give them both another start though.

I thought the stick Kane got (apart from his corners...but then he shouldn't be taking them and it isn't his call to make as far as that's concerned) on here was a bit unfair. He didn't have an especially productive game but he was tireless, held the ball up pretty well, won the free kick that we scored from, always an outlet and kept the Russian centre halves occupied throughout.

I expect him to be absolutely fine and indeed I think he'll score on Thursday.

Not going to be a popular opinion but Fellaini was actually pretty good in that second half, kept it simple and moved the ball into good areas where you would then expect players like De Bruyne and Hazard yo make something happen but they never looked like it.

I thought the stick Kane got (apart from his corners...but then he shouldn't be taking them and it isn't his call to make as far as that's concerned) on here was a bit unfair. He didn't have an especially productive game but he was tireless, held the ball up pretty well, won the free kick that we scored from, always an outlet and kept the Russian centre halves occupied throughout.

I expect him to be absolutely fine and indeed I think he'll score on Thursday.
He should start on Thursday, certainly. He's our best striker and shouldn't be dropped after one game but at the same time, Vardy should be utilised if it's not working. I think Vardy would get more joy from the Welsh back line than he would have v the Russians. But I hope he's not needed.

The corner taking is totally crazy and I've no idea why he's taking them. It's like Bully taking them for Wolves FFS.

Not going to be a popular opinion but Fellaini was actually pretty good in that second half, kept it simple and moved the ball into good areas where you would then expect players like De Bruyne and Hazard yo make something happen but they never looked like it.

He did do better in the second half, never going to be aesthetically pleasing but he was a bit more effective. However my issue with him in that position is similar to when Wolves play Edwards there, they're both complete creative voids, I want my MOST technically accomplished player in that role, not my least accomplished. It infuriates me when Wolves have miles better options either deployed out of position or not used at all so we can stick a bloke who provides nothing more than nuisance value and the occasional goal into a position which is absolutely pivotal to making that system work, and it's a very similar scenario with Belgium.

Lukaku's good form for Everton in the first two thirds of the season coincided with Barkley also putting together the best run he's managed to date, he needs that kind of player supplying him and working off him to be most effective.

I can't agree with that Slink, I thought the Italians let him have the ball as they knew they could organise and read where Fellani was going with it. It's easy to look like you're keeping it simple when the opposition let you. I thought Fellani lacked any sort of tempo and was just poor reading the game, he's actively detrimental to his team..

Italy shut Nianoggian down when he had the ball and forced Witsel backwards when he did, yet they let Fellani, and to a certain extent Hazard have the ball as they knew neither of them could hurt them in that formation and under Italy's control. I know Lukaku didn't have a good game but every time the ball went into him there was an Italian smashing him immediately.

In that second half Fellaini did not lack tempo, he played 1 or 2 touch everytime he got it. Like Deutsch said he's not aesthetically pleasing and he's never going to be but he did what he had to in that second half. He's never going to beat people and change a game like that bit he created a few chances for Belgium and like i say moved it into better areas quickly. I'm not saying he was fantastic but he improved a lot and i'd say was Belgiums best player in that half until Mertens came on.

Back