• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Nerdy Dr Who Geekfest Thread

Peter Cushing isn't classed as one of the 11, but Paul McGann is. The 60's Dalek films starring Cushing are classed as side projects, but the 1996 movie is part of the Dr Who universe. I really wish it wasn't - the Americans had absolutely no idea what they were doing with it.

Why do the Cushing ones not count? I don't think I've seen any of them.

Why do the Cushing ones not count? I don't think I've seen any of them.

Because they ran parallel to the show. The first film - Dr Who and the Daleks - was pretty much the same plot as William Hartnell's 2nd adventure in 1963 (The Daleks). They're basically movie adaptations of stories from the TV show.

So Patrick Troughton is the 2nd Doctor - Peter Cushing doesn't count.

Why do you need to know this?

Just curious

Anyway James - to answer your question - I would have to say Colin Baker, but many of the problems weren't his fault.

For a start, they initially made him unlikeable. His first adventure - The Twin Dilemma - saw him attack his assistant as his regeneration didn't work properly. His erratic behaviour was the reason why his costume was so hideous - but they never sought to change it.

His tenure as the Doctor was beset with issues off screen - there were complaints that some of the stories were too violent, and the controller of the BBC at the time didn't want to see re-hashed Dalek/Cybermen/Master stories so insisted new enemies were written. Colin Baker's first series saw the old characters but I'd argue that Attack of the Cybermen is the worst Cyberman story and Revelation of the Daleks is the worst Dalek story!

So they wrote new characters like Sabalom Glitz who were frankly shit (probably why you've never heard of him!). As a result, audience figures plummeted and the show was axed for the first time in it's 25 year history.

They brought it back for Trial of a Time Lord which had it's moments but wasn't that great, and after that Colin Baker was sacked.

Colin Baker wasn't exactly a bad actor, but a shit costume, shit storylines and an annoying habit of shouting a lot when he really didn't need to means he's my least favourite.

Cheers Langers.

Because they ran parallel to the show. The first film - Dr Who and the Daleks - was pretty much the same plot as William Hartnell's 2nd adventure in 1963 (The Daleks). They're basically movie adaptations of stories from the TV show.

Wasn't there other wierdness too, like his name really was "Doctor Who"?

Last edited:
Matt Smith is my favourite, but I think that may be down to the writing giving him the occasional air of menace, which is good.

Wasn't there other wierdness too, like his name really was "Doctor Who"?

That's right. Though they used the same companions as the TV series - Susan, Barbara and Ian.

Matt Smith is my favourite, but I think that may be down to the writing giving him the occasional air of menace, which is good.

Matt Smith is a superb Doctor - he might even be my 2nd favourite behind Tom Baker.

That's where I have him in the list. Tom Baker is head and shoulders the best, but then it is really tight between Smith, Davison and Pertwee.

Jenna-Louise Coleman is lovely.

It'll take 1 minute on Google or a trip to DailyMotion to see her with her norgs out.

Tennant is my favourite, think he is far better than Smith...

But yes Jenna Coleman is bloody lovely

But yes Jenna Coleman is bloody lovely

I agree.

Does anyone know the schedule in the new year,when and how many episodes?

Not for me. Tennant was very good but I think Matt Smith is a better actor and the zaniness he has suits the character perfectly.

So,after the xmas episode the next batch starts in April it seems...with another 8 episodes in spring.

Back