• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Tame Impala are bloody good. Cheers for the heads up.

Well said - they already are the "next big thing", whatever that means. Big Zep fans too, they were keen to visit Bonham's grave whilst over here.

I thought Aretha had had an opertion that was successful?

I'm going to see James on sunday.
And wednesday.
and next saturday too.

I quite like James...

I'd like to go and see James but if I recall correctly the tickets were a little pricey (aren't they all nowadays?)

Last edited:
Depends on the definition of pricey. Tickets are about the same as tickets for a match nowadays, & gigs last about as long...
http://www.o2academybirmingham.co.uk/event/14153/james-tickets

£31 for saturdays show, but I have to say, personally I find the new academy in brum an awful venue - haven't heard anyone with a positive word to say about it. I am lucky, a friend is in the business & managed to get me on the guest list for sunday. I'm still paying for the tickets for wednesday & next saturday.

Thing I love about James, is they are a proper live band. Stuff they do tends to sound better live than on record.

Plus, every time I have seen them (at least 8 times already) they have played something I've never heard live before.

I can honestly say I've never been let down by them.

I struggle to work out the pricing policy for many gigs these days, but as you same the Academy is a crap venue (as are most of the Academy's I've been to in the UK)

I've steered away from bigger gigs/venues this year but have been to many at smaller independent venues and pub gigs, which I have found just as good, if not better.

I used to quite like the old Birmingham academy, the new O2 isn't as good though, and i was impressed with Brixton academy the couple of times i've been there even though its in a shithole/

I used to quite like the old Birmingham academy, the new O2 isn't as good though, and i was impressed with Brixton academy the couple of times i've been there even though its in a shithole/

Brixton Academy's a great venue. Although I disapprove of the whole 02 branding thing. It's quite large but always feels quite intimate. Always get a good sound in there too. I saw the National there last week and they played the final song totally unamplified and you could still hear everything perfectly.

The sound at the old academy was dire.
That is the only improvement. At the new one, the sound is pretty good. However, approx 30% of the crowd can view the band. The whole layout of the place is shocking. The bar is in a place which annoys people watching the gig & people trying to get to the bar.

Never been anywhere as bad.

Have to say the civic is a great venue.

I've been to quite a variety of venues, & the new academy is far & away the worst in existence.

I went to see Seasick Steve at the new academy and he actually stopped the gig as all you could hear was people talking at the bar and told them to "shut the #### up"

I went to see Seasick Steve at the new academy and he actually stopped the gig as all you could hear was people talking at the bar and told them to "shut the #### up"

I saw Mika there, & on stage he commented that they'd spent a stupid amount of money to effectively make it a venue which is a shit experience for fans. & he's right!

Plus with the location of the bar, a lot of the crowd will throughout a gig have people pushing past them both ways to get to/from the bar.

It is such a shocking venue my vitriol for it is quite overwhelming.

Plus the beer is shite. I refused to drink pints in there after seeing them top up pints with the slop trays.

What are people's best & worst venues? Visited the Kentish Town forum earlier in the year that was pretty decent.

Anyone been to the HMV Institute in Birmingham?

Off to see Ben Folds there in February

Plus the beer is shite. I refused to drink pints in there after seeing them top up pints with the slop trays.

What are people's best & worst venues? Visited the Kentish Town forum earlier in the year that was pretty decent.

Seriously one of the best has to be the Civic (& following the recent backstage redevelopment it is highly thought of in the industry).

Symphony Hall is good (for the right gig).

I have been told that the LG arena has been done out in a big way & is now really nice (haven't been there for years).

Bristol Coulston Hall was a decent venue, except for being in Bristol - what a boring place!

Somerset House - went to a gig there years ago as part of their Summer Series - great place. And Oxford Town Hall is an interesting venue I went to recently.

I'll think of others later...

Anyone been to the HMV Institute in Birmingham?

Off to see Ben Folds there in February

Yeah, went there last saturday to see Athlete. It is quite a small place, has a balcony where there are seats. Quite wide, & high ceilings. I want to go to the Mogwai gig there, also in february.

Saw Spiritualized at the Que Club on their Ladies & Gentlemen tour, & that was a phenomenal gig.

I am up in the balcony.

I like small venues and it will suite Mr Folds.

You will have a good view, & I'd expect a pleasant experience.

I did consider getting a ticket until I got a £500 repair bill for my car...:argh:

You will have a good view, & I'd expect a pleasant experience.

I did consider getting a ticket until I got a £500 repair bill for my car...:argh:

I have 2 spare, if you find some money. The good lady wife purchased 2 standing as she couldn't find the seating tickets then she visited another site and got 2 seating. I prefer sitting down at gigs these days

I have 2 spare, if you find some money. The good lady wife purchased 2 standing as she couldn't find the seating tickets then she visited another site and got 2 seating. I prefer sitting down at gigs these days

I'll let you know kenny. Likely to be late january before I know whether I can afford it though. I had to miss out on leftfield a week ago too.
Couldn't forego getting tickets for the Specials next october though.

Best venue: Manchester Apollo. A proper venue.

Back