• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Bristol's an outstanding city for virtually all genre's of music. It's a top place to live.

Best venue: Manchester Apollo. A proper venue.

Is that now the MEN arena?

Only been there once - good friday 1998 for a James gig. Going there again next saturday, but can't remember that much about it to be honest.

Is that now the MEN arena?

Only been there once - good friday 1998 for a James gig. Going there again next saturday, but can't remember that much about it to be honest.

No, I think it's possibly now called the Carling Apollo - it's towards Beswick, walkable from the University if you take a right from Upper Brook Street.

Much smaller than the MEN Arena.

What's the deal with the HMV Institute? Is it the place that used to be the Barfly?

Only been to the Manchester Apollo once, similar the Kentish Forum a vast old theatre.

What's the deal with the HMV Institute? Is it the place that used to be the Barfly?

Only been to the Manchester Apollo once, similar the Kentish Forum a vast old theatre.

that's right, where the old barfly was. 24th feb Mogwai+ twilight sad. nice

Best venue I've ever been in was The Riverside in Newcastle. Awesome venue. One of those intimate places you'd see soon to be great bands right before they became huge. Nirvana in front of about 50 people, PWEI infront of about 100, Stone Roses in front of about 30...Fucking marvellous. Then they sold it and it became another damned dance club...Criminal.

Best 2 venues i've ever been to, complete opposite ends of the scale, Old trafford cricket ground was immense for the Foo Fighters and a place in Southampton called The Brook, its just a pub with a stage, saw The Subways there once and they had no security so people were just climbing on stage with them all night.

Not a fan of gigs at Old Trafford CC. Pain in the arse to get to/from and the beer situation was laughable last time I went....oh and it was full of Manc knobs.

Best 2 venues i've ever been to, complete opposite ends of the scale, Old trafford cricket ground was immense for the Foo Fighters and a place in Southampton called The Brook, its just a pub with a stage, saw The Subways there once and they had no security so people were just climbing on stage with them all night.

I went to Lancashire Cricket Club (NOT Old Trafford ;)) to see Oasis in 2001 and REM in 2002. Not the best venue and not the worst, though the number of scummy scallies there for Oasis was frightening. Horrid crowd. REM was a much better day.

As for bad venues - I thought the old Academy in Brum was the pits - vile, sticky floor, crap view and not particularly great sound.

Hammersmith Odeon used to be great fun and the acoustics are usually pretty good. NEC acoustics are abominable.
Other great venues - Nottingham Rock City, Brixton Academy, The Pitz Milton Keynes, Leicester De Montfort Hall*

*saw Maiden there and it was brilliant. Also saw PWEI there and the place was bouncing

I saw Smashing Pumpkins in Kentish Town Forum and it was really nice, easy to get back into London and handy for after-show drinks in Camden Underworld.

Saw them a few laters in the MEN......not bad, a standard ice hockey arena, just like Londons o2.

Saw Spinal Tap in Wembley Arena last summer....shite venue....big and full of echoes......cold too. I was not at all surprised to find out the place used to be the Empire Olympic swimming pool.......

I went to Lancashire Cricket Club (NOT Old Trafford ;)) to see Oasis in 2001 The number of scummy scallies there for Oasis was frightening. Horrid crowd.

Think I'm following you around. I was there and agree, I also saw Oasis at the City of Manchester stadium and that attracted the same morons, throwing cups of piss ect. However also saw Red Hot Chilli Peppers at the COM and that was excellent with James Brown supporting.

wembley arena is one of the few venues that makes the NEC sound good. Acoustics need curves - look at any theatre. Having a box means the sound is always destined to be shite.

other venues I like - the new Marquee (I never went to the old one) Dingwalls camden and the London Astoria*

*great venue - awful bouncers. I saw overkill there and one decided to hit all the stagedivers round the head with his torch. The lead singer spotted it and kicked the bastard in the back of the head mid-song without missing a beat. Did my first and only PA dive that day. I think my ribs still hurt.

Think I'm following you around. I was there and agree, I also saw Oasis at the City of Manchester stadium and that attracted the same morons, throwing cups of piss ect. However also saw Red Hot Chilli Peppers at the COM and that was excellent with James Brown supporting.

:ursofunny:

You ARE following me around!! Chicks on Speed came on before JB, didn't they?

I never got round to seeing James Brown but always imagined it would be good.

Chicks on Speed, what the **** were they all about? We spent their set at the bar. Didn't by any chance go and see the Arctic Monkeys at Lancashire Cricket Club as well?

Chicks on Speed, what the **** were they all about? We spent their set at the bar. Didn't by any chance go and see the Arctic Monkeys at Lancashire Cricket Club as well?

No, I may have left Manchester by then.

CoS were SO appallingly bad, didn't they get bottled? I remember Flea having a go at the crowd about their 'reaction' to them. Possibly the worst live act I have ever seen.

JB (ridiculously overlong introduction aside) and the Chillis were ace though - it was a good gig.

I went to Lancashire Cricket Club (NOT Old Trafford ;)) to see Oasis in 2001 and REM in 2002. Not the best venue and not the worst, though the number of scummy scallies there for Oasis was frightening. Horrid crowd. REM was a much better day.

As for bad venues - I thought the old Academy in Brum was the pits - vile, sticky floor, crap view and not particularly great sound.

If you think the old academy was bad, don't even bother with the new one.

At least in the old academy you had a view. In the new one, only a maximum of 30% of the crowd actually have a view. And the sound is still appalling. I honestly will never ever pay to go to a gig there ever again. I'll travel miles instead. Every time anyone asks me about the new academy I have to stop ranting. It really is that bad.

that's right, where the old barfly was. 24th feb Mogwai+ twilight sad. nice

That is a gig I MUST go to...

Hammersmith Odeon used to be great fun and the acoustics are usually pretty good. NEC acoustics are abominable.
Other great venues - Nottingham Rock City, Brixton Academy, The Pitz Milton Keynes, Leicester De Montfort Hall*

*saw Maiden there and it was brilliant. Also saw PWEI there and the place was bouncing

Paddy, what is de montford hall like? I'm going there this week (wednesday) for the first time.

In case anyone is interested, aside from the venue, sundays gig was great. They played a lot of songs that have been rested for the past 2-3 tours, so it was really nice to hear different stuff. There were 3 newies & 1 oldie I've never heard live before.

Hearing songs I hadn't heard for some time was like being re-united with some old friends who are very dear to you. Really looking forward to the other shows now (in anticipation of better venues/acoustics - especially seeing as paddy has 1 of the venues as being excellent...)

Back