• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Best venue I've ever been in was The Riverside in Newcastle. Awesome venue. One of those intimate places you'd see soon to be great bands right before they became huge. Nirvana in front of about 50 people, PWEI infront of about 100, Stone Roses in front of about 30...Fucking marvellous. Then they sold it and it became another damned dance club...Criminal.

The Riverside was great. I saw my favourite ever gig there - Bongwater, 1990ish. Such a good atmosphere. I didn't know it had been sold off. What a shame.

Hammy Odeon was always good but haven't been there since seeing a truly abysmal Bon Jovi many years ago.

Also in Hammersmith, but sadly no longer there, was a place called the Clarendon Ballroom. I used to go to a lot of thrash/hardcore gigs there. Top place.

Paul McCartney and his band will take it back to basics with a special stripped down show at London’s famous 100 Club. Paul and his band will play a lunchtime show at the historic venue this Friday, 17th December.

How good will this be? It will be almost impossible to get a ticket.

Paddy, what is de montford hall like? I'm going there this week (wednesday) for the first time.

When I went - very similar to the civic. Standing and then a three-sided square balcony. Good size venue and the acoustics were good from what I remember

When I went - very similar to the civic. Standing and then a three-sided square balcony. Good size venue and the acoustics were good from what I remember

Cheers bud. I'm sat at work with my tickets, & unable to concentrate.

really looking forward to tonight!

I see the Pigeon Detectives are supporting James (they were given guestlist tickets away via Twitter). Weren't a bad band......in 2007, not sure now though.

I see the Pigeon Detectives are supporting James (they were given guestlist tickets away via Twitter). Weren't a bad band......in 2007, not sure now though.

To be honest, never been a fan.

Went to see Kaiser cheifs at the civic a few years ago. A mate took me early as he wanted to see what the fuss was with the pigeon detectives. They were pretty poor imo. I actually berated him for dragging me there early to see them.

To be fair, he was very nonplussed by them too, & most unhappy.

When I learned they were the support for this tour, I knew I had no need to arrive much before 8.30. According to the forums I go on, they haven't been too well recieved (mainly owing to the antics of their singer - it appears he feels spitting water into the crowd will endear him to them. Oh Dear!)

Might be worth a watch (or record) tonight

Festivals Britannia
Friday 17 December
9.00-10.30pm BBC FOUR

Continuing the highly successful and critically acclaimed Britannia series for BBC Four, Festivals Britannia tells the story of the emergence and evolution of the British music festival through the mavericks, dreamers and dropouts who have produced and experienced them.

This 90-minute documentary traces the ebb and flow of British festival culture over the past 50 years and explores the central tension between people's desire to come together, dance to the music and build temporary communities; and the desire of the state, councils and locals to police these often unruly gatherings. At the heart of the documentary is an ongoing argument about British freedoms set to a wonderful soundtrack of 50 years of great popular music.

Spent the day trying to get into Foals........without success.

Olympic Airways is brilliant, I even learned the sweet harmonics on guitar, but the rest is so watered down and weak and just a little bit too much avant garde British trendy for me....

sorry Langdale !

Spent the day trying to get into Foals........without success.

Olympic Airways is brilliant, I even learned the sweet harmonics on guitar, but the rest is so watered down and weak and just a little bit too much avant garde British trendy for me....

sorry Langdale !

It was Jinky who was bigging them up mate, not me. Though I actually quite like them, I certainly don't spaff over them like Jinky does. My man milk is reserved for geniuses such as I Am Kloot, Elbow and Arcade Fire.

Sorry my bad! I had it in my head it was you..........the original debate was too far back to check! I like Elbow......can't say Im pushed about the other 2. Saw I am Kloot supporting Turin Brakes yeaaaaarrrrsssss ago....not bad, not amazing either

Bumping a classy thread, as I got the remastered Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails for christmas. I can't wait to listen to it on headphones. Really hoping for a quality remaster, as the original album is class.

I also got Fatboy Slims Dance Bitch mix cd, which I was listening to earlier, & is nice.

I know it is christmas, but I also treated myself to Fred Deakin's Flashman cd, which is awesome stuff.

Another gift was the Orb/David Gilmour collection - metallic spheres, which is a joy to come. Quite a handy suprise, as I just finished reading Nick Mason's book.

Another gift was the Orb/David Gilmour collection - metallic spheres, which is a joy to come. Quite a handy suprise, as I just finished reading Nick Mason's book.

Sounds awesome...is it a collaboration of them remixing his solo stuff?

Bumping a classy thread, as I got the remastered Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails for christmas. I can't wait to listen to it on headphones. Really hoping for a quality remaster, as the original album is class.

I also got Fatboy Slims Dance Bitch mix cd, which I was listening to earlier, & is nice.

I know it is christmas, but I also treated myself to Fred Deakin's Flashman cd, which is awesome stuff.

Got myself a new network drive and upgraded to windows 7 so I'm busy reloading all my cds. Done about 130 so far, fair way to go. not got to pretty hate machine yet. More likely to stop for a listen at something like the god machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IIilwo1Mo&playnext=1&list=PLF476CC8C006D89CA&index=1

Sounds awesome...is it a collaboration of them remixing his solo stuff?

It is all brand new stuff! The ambient moment of the year according to the sticker on the front of my cd. There is a version with 360 degree sound for surround sound enthusiasts! But I still haven't listened to it yet...

Got myself a new network drive and upgraded to windows 7 so I'm busy reloading all my cds. Done about 130 so far, fair way to go. not got to pretty hate machine yet. More likely to stop for a listen at something like the god machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IIilwo1Mo&playnext=1&list=PLF476CC8C006D89CA&index=1

Pretty Hate Machine remastered is sounding fooking class! Memory Lane...

It is all brand new stuff! The ambient moment of the year according to the sticker on the front of my cd. There is a version with 360 degree sound for surround sound enthusiasts! But I still haven't listened to it yet...

WHY AM I ONLY HEARING ABOUT THIS ALBUM NOW?????

Just checked it out on Youtube....sounds epic....gotta rush down to HMV to grab it

WHY AM I ONLY HEARING ABOUT THIS ALBUM NOW?????

Just checked it out on Youtube....sounds epic....gotta rush down to HMV to grab it

Fear not, it was only recently released.

Don't know about your circs, but I am one for ordering online. The 2cd version with 360 degree surround sound was available from play IIRC for 11.99GBP. I think HMV.com had sold out.

In not entirely unrelated news... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12112630

So what we all looking forward to in terms of new albums or in 2011?

A few of the top of my head...

Arctic Monkeys
The Strokes
The Vaccines
Yuck
Elbow
Friendly Fires
Frank Turner
British Sea Power

The Strokes is the only thing there that excites me, dont even know half of them.

So what we all looking forward to in terms of new albums or in 2011?

System of a Down (touring Europe in summer, cant wait)
Incubus
Smashing Pumpkins
..and hopefully Orbital will get back in the studio this year

Can't wait for the new Incubus album this year.

Also picked up a copy of Three Door Cinema Club's debut album which is pretty catchy.

Back