• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Yes, it's very true and a lot of the stuff I bought during my formative years I had only a vague clue what it would sound like when I put the record on. Given we all had limited cash to spend on music it was fantastic to find something you'd really like and effectively still treasure today because you'd had to go out and get it/chance it yourself rather than be already certain of it.

I will never forget for instance the first time I played surfer rosa.

Funnily enough, people should remember that Peel had his favourites and dislikes too. He hated the Sisters for instance and begrudgingly played two tracks of there's in his festive fifty one year pointing out they'd never been played on his show. This may have been a personal thing between him and the band but essentially it meant a great album like first and last and always has probably never been played on radio 1 (other than those two tracks) and probably any other mainstream radio station. Given no internet music in the day it shows how critical the music press, word of mouth and playing live was for a band's success.

From my perspective, I can still hate Xfactor etc and I still have a few enclaves that remain untouched by the masses.

Ah, you had a Surfer Rosa moment too! Like something from outer space.

And Superfuzz Bigmuff bought solely on the strength of its cover (vinyl) and finding it more than lived up to it. I guess no-one will ever buy an album on the strength of a cover again.

Agree, and like said above Tokyo Police Club are a good shout, gutted I missed them when they was over on tour in November.

A few more good shouts at the moment worth checking out:

Brother
Various Cruelties
Tapes 'n Tapes
Boy & Bear
Pete and the Pirates
The Bottletop Band

I persuaded a couple of mates to see tapes and tapes a couple of years ago after hearing a track called insistor. unfortunately it was like a session - they played the instruments but didn't seem to have any real songs. My mates say it's one of the worst gigs I've taken them to, though still long way short of a band of horses gig we went to. I'll be interested to hear what they're up to.

i've heard some old stuff by pete and the pirates. stever from MM likes them a lot.

Ah, you had a Surfer Rosa moment too! Like something from outer space.

And Superfuzz Bigmuff bought solely on the strength of its cover (vinyl) and finding it more than lived up to it. I guess no-one will ever buy an album on the strength of a cover again.

I was knackered after work and put the wrong side on - something else unlikely to happen much these days. So I got the brilliance of where is my mind first. of course the "A" side is bone machine and one of my favourite starts to an album. odious as he allegedly is (and I love the guy), steve albini deserves a lot of credit for producing that classic. i lent my vinyl copies of surfer rosa and come on pilgrim to a mate years ago and never had them back. it's like a wound that never heals.

Ooh, never lend your vinyl! I've had similar experiences. I came back from travelling to find my brother had "borrowed" a load of records from me. I think the only thing I never got back was my You Made Me Realise 12". He swore blind (i.e. lied through his teeth) that he bought his own copy. Still comes up every Christmas.

This is a bit of the magic that's been lost I think. I've got loads of vinyl and I could tell you exactly where I bought, or otherwise acquired, every one. Like you say, not much money so each one was a carefully chosen treasure. Could do the same for most of my CDs. Couldn't tell you anything about my downloads. It's just endlessly available cheap product, which is a shame, I think.

Anyway, enough old gittisms. One recently discovered new band (recent to me anyway) - Glass Candy. Their Covered In Bugs is a great song.
Anyway,

Ooh, never lend your vinyl! I've had similar experiences. I came back from travelling to find my brother had "borrowed" a load of records from me. I think the only thing I never got back was my You Made Me Realise 12". He swore blind (i.e. lied through his teeth) that he bought his own copy. Still comes up every Christmas.

This is a bit of the magic that's been lost I think. I've got loads of vinyl and I could tell you exactly where I bought, or otherwise acquired, every one. Like you say, not much money so each one was a carefully chosen treasure. Could do the same for most of my CDs. Couldn't tell you anything about my downloads. It's just endlessly available cheap product, which is a shame, I think.

Anyway, enough old gittisms. One recently discovered new band (recent to me anyway) - Glass Candy. Their Covered In Bugs is a great song.
Anyway,

New to me too. Thanks will check em out along with SSB's. A mate of mine has the 12" of you made me realise which we played on a dj note we did once. our set included kerosene - big black, conjure me - afghan whigs, a jesus lizard track, take the skinheads bowling - CVB and other favourites of ours. nobody danced and we kept getting asked to play the chilli's. so we never did it again.

New to me too. Thanks will check em out along with SSB's. A mate of mine has the 12" of you made me realise which we played on a dj note we did once. our set included kerosene - big black, conjure me - afghan whigs, a jesus lizard track, take the skinheads bowling - CVB and other favourites of ours. nobody danced and we kept getting asked to play the chilli's. so we never did it again.

Hmm. An Albini themed disco - I'd have danced. If that stuff was released now it would still sound fresh, innovative and bloody scary, frankly.

I persuaded a couple of mates to see tapes and tapes a couple of years ago. My mates say it's one of the worst gigs I've taken them to

i've heard some old stuff by pete and the pirates. stever from MM likes them a lot.

Never seen Tapes 'n Tapes live so can't comment, their new album is out the end of the month.

Pete and the Pirates have a new album coming out this year, from which you can download a track for free from their website.

Also The Decemberists and Peter, Bjorn and John also have albums out in the near future.

Superfuzz bigmuff. Takes me back.

In a highly contradictory manner, I rail against commercial manufactured rubbish, poor quality covers, anything vaguely x factor tainted.

Yet inside of me, there is a part of me which (whilst I accept I am one) also wishes to rail against musical snobbishness.

My reason for this, is because I remember being young, & only being into one type of music (which I called "real" music, as everything else was shite). Worryingly, I started to realise that in labelling my taste as being "true music", that I was sounding like a manowar clone (I still remember being shocked to realise manowar were not a parody band!)

As time has gone on, I have started to enjoy music I previously would have argued was not "true music".

Despite all the above, I still get quite aggressive with people who try to make me listen to, what I essentially deem to be crap. But there you go!

I'm going to pull out my Fuck Me I'm Rich vinyl out when I get home now...

On vinyl, not only do you never lend it, but when you get it out, don't even let people within 5 feet of you! It really is that precious!

Superfuzz bigmuff. Takes me back.

In a highly contradictory manner, I rail against commercial manufactured rubbish, poor quality covers, anything vaguely x factor tainted.

Yet inside of me, there is a part of me which (whilst I accept I am one) also wishes to rail against musical snobbishness.

My reason for this, is because I remember being young, & only being into one type of music (which I called "real" music, as everything else was shite). Worryingly, I started to realise that in labelling my taste as being "true music", that I was sounding like a manowar clone (I still remember being shocked to realise manowar were not a parody band!)

As time has gone on, I have started to enjoy music I previously would have argued was not "true music".

Despite all the above, I still get quite aggressive with people who try to make me listen to, what I essentially deem to be crap. But there you go!

I'm going to pull out my Fuck Me I'm Rich vinyl out when I get home now...

On vinyl, not only do you never lend it, but when you get it out, don't even let people within 5 feet of you! It really is that precious!

Again I agree and wouldn't really argue not care against someone calling me a music snob.

I have however never been someone who snobbishly follows certain bands and ignores and slates music I've never heard. In fact, my mindset has been more about wanting to hear the very best moments each band has had rather than listen to a particular style of music so I deliberately seek out new bands to listen to for that reason. I would definitely get bored of hearing the same band playing the same stuff ad infinitum. Having said that, it is clear I prefer certain styles over others.

Again I agree and wouldn't really argue not care against someone calling me a music snob.

I have however never been someone who snobbishly follows certain bands and ignores and slates music I've never heard. In fact, my mindset has been more about wanting to hear the very best moments each band has had rather than listen to a particular style of music so I deliberately seek out new bands to listen to for that reason. I would definitely get bored of hearing the same band playing the same stuff ad infinitum. Having said that, it is clear I prefer certain styles over others.

Surely the cast-iron conviction that your musical tastes are superior to everyone else's is part of the fun. Whether you choose to rub other people's noses in it is another matter.

I'm always labelled a music snob because I take a real interest in it and might on occasion listen to something not well known by the general populace. I've given up arguing that anyone who's a big fan of the Carpenters and Neil Diamond can't really be a music snob.

I've found there's something pretty marvellous to be found in all genres if you take the time to listen, but my heart will always belong to loud distorted guitar music.

Two excellent posts gentlemen.

I have been called a snob, but I personally dispute it. If I haven't heard it before, I will give it a chance. Once my mind is made up at that moment, however, that is it (until I'm willing to give it another try).

I am also a bit of a collector. When I get passionate about a band I will start trying to get other stuff they have done, or been associated with. Not so much to the extent I used to (time & money will not allow this!) however bands will progress too, & sometimes it is good to hear what they have done which is new, or brings in other influences.

Surely the cast-iron conviction that your musical tastes are superior to everyone else's is part of the fun. Whether you choose to rub other people's noses in it is another matter.

I'm always labelled a music snob because I take a real interest in it and might on occasion listen to something not well known by the general populace. I've given up arguing that anyone who's a big fan of the Carpenters and Neil Diamond can't really be a music snob.

I've found there's something pretty marvellous to be found in all genres if you take the time to listen, but my heart will always belong to loud distorted guitar music.

I do love finding out something new - as I do occasionally feel that all I'm hearing is regurgitated stuff all the time, so you have to be open to new stuff. That is why, in the late 90's loved listening to Mary ann Hobbs show. I got into so much new stuff it wasn't true.

I struggle to think of any time in my life when music means little. And I am grateful that I am not as closeted as I used to be.

However, whilst I kinda see the point about having a genre (for want of a better word) that you prefer (like a comfy pair of shoes...), I'm not sure I can go with this. There is music I will always love, yet my mood at the time of listening plays a big role in my cd choice at that time. For examply, I am unlikely to bash on decade of Aggression by Slayer at 7.30 in the morning when I've just woken up! Probably likely to pick something a bit mellower!

Two excellent posts gentlemen.

I have been called a snob, but I personally dispute it. If I haven't heard it before, I will give it a chance. Once my mind is made up at that moment, however, that is it (until I'm willing to give it another try).

I am also a bit of a collector. When I get passionate about a band I will start trying to get other stuff they have done, or been associated with. Not so much to the extent I used to (time & money will not allow this!) however bands will progress too, & sometimes it is good to hear what they have done which is new, or brings in other influences.

I do love finding out something new - as I do occasionally feel that all I'm hearing is regurgitated stuff all the time, so you have to be open to new stuff. That is why, in the late 90's loved listening to Mary ann Hobbs show. I got into so much new stuff it wasn't true.

I struggle to think of any time in my life when music means little. And I am grateful that I am not as closeted as I used to be.

However, whilst I kinda see the point about having a genre (for want of a better word) that you prefer (like a comfy pair of shoes...), I'm not sure I can go with this. There is music I will always love, yet my mood at the time of listening plays a big role in my cd choice at that time. For examply, I am unlikely to bash on decade of Aggression by Slayer at 7.30 in the morning when I've just woken up! Probably likely to pick something a bit mellower!

But if the Coalition decided to get really radical and passed a law saying you could only ever listen to one "genre" for the rest of your life, what would you choose? I'd go for loud guitar music (or possibly trad rock'n'roll) because I know that no matter what else I get into, and even if I really don't listen to it that much any more, that's my musical home.

Doesn't everyone have a similar spiritual musical home, be it dance, jazz or whatever?

Yeah Ia'd agree with you on loud guitar music. I grew up filling my ears with Metallica, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Zeppelin etc, and even though I love electronica and some forms of jazz and blues, I always return to my fave rock albums. They are almost comforting in a way. I remember when I was dumped, I listened to Blur's 13 non-stop for 6 months and it was almost a form of therapy. Also, REM have helped me through some tough times

What, like Seasons in the Abyss then? :drummer:

More likely Reign In Blood...

But if the Coalition decided to get really radical and passed a law saying you could only ever listen to one "genre" for the rest of your life, what would you choose? I'd go for loud guitar music (or possibly trad rock'n'roll) because I know that no matter what else I get into, and even if I really don't listen to it that much any more, that's my musical home.

Doesn't everyone have a similar spiritual musical home, be it dance, jazz or whatever?

Firstly, DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

In answer to the question, if I have a spiritual home, I've yet to find it. Perhaps it is a formn of schizophrenia, but there is more than one side of me, and I'm not always the same.
I'm not sure I could find 1 genre that is me.
If I did, I'd probablt be really argumentative about which bands come under which definition...

Yeah Ia'd agree with you on loud guitar music. I grew up filling my ears with Metallica, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Zeppelin etc, and even though I love electronica and some forms of jazz and blues, I always return to my fave rock albums. They are almost comforting in a way. I remember when I was dumped, I listened to Blur's 13 non-stop for 6 months and it was almost a form of therapy. Also, REM have helped me through some tough times

The type of music getting you through the tough times depends so much on the context though.
I grew up on heavy, guitar based music. & I still like my music to have OOOMPH. But it is just too difficult for me to select only 1 genre.

Ha, I agree with the sentiment. I generally detest more manufactured pop and the continual love in of the media and general public for old time performers such as take that etc. It only affects my life in a small way because i have to put up with the g/f watching and listening to the crap. I don't feel the same aversion for kasabian - I rarely hear them and whilst I can recognise their "sound" can only name one song of theirs ("shoot the runner"???) which is only memorable for me for being so bad.

But as decent music is so accessible these days, Kasabian is not a problem to me in the same way as, now you mention it, that dire song by Toploader (Topwankers more like) that seemed to be played constantly for a while. In the eighties things were so much worse - same old songs constantly played during daytime, constantly used on the tv and a lack of accessibility to non "A" list bands. I'm sure some people on here probably admire Mark Knopfler's guitar playing but to me he's just the miserable tosser who not only inflicted "money for nothing" on the nation for what seemed like decades at the time, but also allowed the whiny more miserable vocal of sting to bring further misery to many. That track became ubiquitous for a while such that if you hadn't heard it at least once an hour you thought there was something wrong with your watch. Worse was the sycophantic enthusiasm of radio 1 djs at the time for all things dire straits. I strongly suspect that somewhere there are special editions of that record out there with simon bates or DLT's man juice splashed all over the vinyl. and don't get me started on phil collins.

Nah, got to disagree - it was hardly Dire Straits fault that their biggest stuff was overplayed during their hey day. Just because it was played too often doesn't mean it's a bad track. It's also why I NEVER listen to the radio - I know what I like, and it's on my iPod. I'm not going to sit through dross I don't like just because some jobsworth at the BBC has been told it's the 'in thing'.

Dire Straits produced some outstanding stuff - their best work never had much airplay (Telegraph Road is infinitely better than Money For Nothing - which in turn is one of the weaker tracks on the amazing Brothers In Arms album).

I too love to 'discover' new stuff, which more often is someone mentioning a name, me spotifying it and buying it if I like it. With the numerous ways to hear new stuff, there is no need to listen to wankers on the radio telling me that Florence and the Machine are anything other than noise pollution.

Oh, and if we're talking genres - I'll root for the BLUES, thanks:

Robert Johnson: absolute legend.

What, like Seasons in the Abyss then? :drummer:

Seasons is a brilliant brilliant album. Decade of Aggression works for me on the drive to work in the morning sometimes.

Going back to buying albums by cover that SLA mentioned - I can remember buying Strong Arm of the Law by Saxon for solely that reason and then discovered what a great album it was. Same with Powerslave by Maiden

Nah, got to disagree - it was hardly Dire Straits fault that their biggest stuff was overplayed during their hey day. Just because it was played too often doesn't mean it's a bad track. It's also why I NEVER listen to the radio - I know what I like, and it's on my iPod. I'm not going to sit through dross I don't like just because some jobsworth at the BBC has been told it's the 'in thing'.

Dire Straits produced some outstanding stuff - their best work never had much airplay (Telegraph Road is infinitely better than Money For Nothing - which in turn is one of the weaker tracks on the amazing Brothers In Arms album).

I too love to 'discover' new stuff, which more often is someone mentioning a name, me spotifying it and buying it if I like it. With the numerous ways to hear new stuff, there is no need to listen to wankers on the radio telling me that Florence and the Machine are anything other than noise pollution.

Telegraph Road is easily Knopfler's finest hour. Just wonderful. Money for Nothing is just one good riff.

Back