• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

To celebrate my 1000th post, here is Elbow's new song. It's brilliant.

I'm still in my 20s for errmm...three more months! So it's not quite reliving my youth, not yet...

I remember spending an evening with my cousin (8 years my junior) in the Leadmill, Sheffield. A great night, but I didn't know a lot of the songs. Then they played 'Disco 2000' and the wife and I were appalled to hear someone stood by us say 'this is good, even though it's an old classic'.

That was when I realised I was getting on a bit.

I last bought an album in 2004. That's just how I roll.

Nah, got to disagree - it was hardly Dire Straits fault that their biggest stuff was overplayed during their hey day. Just because it was played too often doesn't mean it's a bad track. It's also why I NEVER listen to the radio - I know what I like, and it's on my iPod. I'm not going to sit through dross I don't like just because some jobsworth at the BBC has been told it's the 'in thing'.

Dire Straits produced some outstanding stuff - their best work never had much airplay (Telegraph Road is infinitely better than Money For Nothing - which in turn is one of the weaker tracks on the amazing Brothers In Arms album).

I too love to 'discover' new stuff, which more often is someone mentioning a name, me spotifying it and buying it if I like it. With the numerous ways to hear new stuff, there is no need to listen to wankers on the radio telling me that Florence and the Machine are anything other than noise pollution.

Actually Langdale, i think you're agreeing with me. I said that for me, "money for nothing" was shite and that during the eighties i couldn't get away from the shite song. In today's world, that's the equivalent of you being subjected to an equivalent shitey Kasabian track every day for the best part of a year and probably beyond. I pointed out things were so much worse in the eighties as we had little alternative media, whereas today, as you acknowledge, you never have to listen to stuff you don't like given spotify, ipods etc. That was exactly my original point, when I said I don't need to hate Kasabian, because I never need to listen to them.

Quite how you know Kasabian are as shite as you say they are when you never listen to them is the bit I don't understand, unless you are actually listening to each of their releases for some masochistic purpose.

The only thing you seem to disagree with me on is that you quite like Dire Straits, but then again you haven't been subjected to "one of the weaker tracks" on one of their albums as constantly as i was and didn't want to be, in the eighties. I did say some people on here probably hugely admire their guitar play - I did expect some kickback for attacking a rock icon. They were talented musicians - they just wrote shit songs.

Actually Langdale, i think you're agreeing with me. I said that for me, "money for nothing" was shite and that during the eighties i couldn't get away from the shite song. In today's world, that's the equivalent of you being subjected to an equivalent shitey Kasabian track every day for the best part of a year and probably beyond. I pointed out things were so much worse in the eighties as we had little alternative media, whereas today, as you acknowledge, you never have to listen to stuff you don't like given spotify, ipods etc. That was exactly my original point, when I said I don't need to hate Kasabian, because I never need to listen to them.

Quite how you know Kasabian are as shite as you say they are when you never listen to them is the bit I don't understand, unless you are actually listening to each of their releases for some masochistic purpose.

The only thing you seem to disagree with me on is that you quite like Dire Straits, but then again you haven't been subjected to "one of the weaker tracks" on one of their albums as constantly as i was and didn't want to be, in the eighties. I did say some people on here probably hugely admire their guitar play - I did expect some kickback for attacking a rock icon. They were talented musicians - they just wrote shit songs.

Yes, I suppose I was sort of agreeing with you, but my point was that any song can become boring if you hear them too often, something radio does, has always done and always will do.

When it comes to Kasabian, I gave them a good go to start with (as I do with any band someone recommends to me) and listened to their album several times. I hated it on the first listen but tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. Eventually, I realised I just hated it, realised they aren't for me. But the problem is, because they're inexplicably popular, they're on the jukebox in my local quite a lot, my mates 'subject' me to their shite noise, and because they're complete sell-outs, their shite is all over the telly (I love Sky Sports News - can't get away from them there). This is certainly something that's got worse in recent decades.

Believe me, if I can possibly avoid Kasabian, I do.

It is an interesting debate on dire straits. There are some great tracks out there - Sultans of Swing (complete with cockup in the outro solo that they forgot to overdub out - cover bands still deliberately play the mistake to be true to the original), Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road and so on.

The thing you cannot get around is that Mark Knopfler is an appalling vocalist. Flat monotone delivery and no spark to it at all. They live and die on the guitar work.

Yes, I suppose I was sort of agreeing with you, but my point was that any song can become boring if you hear them too often, something radio does, has always done and always will do.

When it comes to Kasabian, I gave them a good go to start with (as I do with any band someone recommends to me) and listened to their album several times. I hated it on the first listen but tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. Eventually, I realised I just hated it, realised they aren't for me. But the problem is, because they're inexplicably popular, they're on the jukebox in my local quite a lot, my mates 'subject' me to their shite noise, and because they're complete sell-outs, their shite is all over the telly (I love Sky Sports News - can't get away from them there). This is certainly something that's got worse in recent decades.

Believe me, if I can possibly avoid Kasabian, I do.

it's true if you can't get away from something you don't like it polarises your views on it even more.

apologies for my overly forceful response anyway, was the beer speaking. of course people are allowed to like dire straits, even though there's a major clue in their name ;-)

It is an interesting debate on dire straits. There are some great tracks out there - Sultans of Swing (complete with cockup in the outro solo that they forgot to overdub out - cover bands still deliberately play the mistake to be true to the original), Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road and so on.

The thing you cannot get around is that Mark Knopfler is an appalling vocalist. Flat monotone delivery and no spark to it at all. They live and die on the guitar work.

I have a soft spot for Sultans Of Swing as its the first song I learnt to play all those years ago all the way through. I wholeheartedly agree with you though - musicianship is excellent, voice is drab

i remember an interview with knopfler when the money for nothing album came out.
in it, he was asked about his singing style, and he burst out laughhing. "i don't sing" he said "i can't sing a note, i simply talk the songs, i would never , ever call myself a singer">

he's done allright as a talker, dontcha think?

Langdale - cheers for posting the elbow track. Really enjoyed that.

Part of me wonders to what extent they'll be able to match TSSK.

I enjoyed that.

DDW - listened to Metallic Spheres last night - it is really good. Bordering on awesome! Treat yourself fella! Just reward for starting the Chelsea matchday thread!

DDW - listened to Metallic Spheres last night - it is really good. Bordering on awesome! Treat yourself fella! Just reward for starting the Chelsea matchday thread!

:tiphat: Thank you. As its my birthday today I think I shall indeed treat myself, cheers for the heads up!

Many happy returns.

It will be a worthwhile investment for you methinks...

Never really listened to Arcade Fire, but have bought Neon Bible and The Suburbs.

What should I expect?

Never really listened to Arcade Fire, but have bought Neon Bible and The Suburbs.

What should I expect?

I think Arcade Fire are one of the best bands in the world right now. I still think Funeral is their best album (their debut). The Suburbs was my favourite album of 2010, I absolutely love it. Neon Bible is very good, but not in the same league as the other 2 IMHO.

What to expect? Some of the most beautiful production you'll hear, some emotive lyrics and extremely moving, haunting melodies. And some bloody catchy tunes as well.

I hope you like them - give them a few listens before passing your final judgement, and listen to the lyrics - especially in The Suburbs - because it's a wonderful piece of work. Almost a concept album in some ways.

I admit to being very biased when it comes to Arcade Fire but the fact is that along with Elbow, Kloot and Doves, they're one of the bands who changed the way I look and appreciate the present-day music scene.

Back