• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Saw the Low Anthem last night at the Roundhouse in Camden. Absolutely fantastic band.

I've moaned on here before about people talking at gigs and generally being annoying, but tonight there was total silence during the songs, no-one standing at the bar, no-one even filming on their phone. I can't remember that happening for a long time, maybe ever.

Stunning musical virtuosity too, all the band regularly switching instruments including oboes, saws, glockenspiely thing, drums, bass etc.... Beautiful harmony singing, great rock-out tunes. I could go on...

So I will...

They did a cool thing at the end of one song with a high pitched saw sound. They got everyone in the crowd to phone the person they were with, then put both phones on speaker - created a really effective noise.

And best of all there was a small cute chick wielding an enormous bass which is easily the sexiest thing in all of music.

See them if you get the chance.

I'm going to see Dreadzone tonight. Looking forward to it. Never seen them live before, but heard good stuff.

Second Light is an ace album.

Dreadzone are always good value live - I am seeing them in December as support to the Levellers.

Afro Celt Sound System are always ace live as well. From seeing these two, I also got into Peatbog Faeries as well.

Off to see Martyn Joseph in Worcester this evening. Really looking forward to it.

Dreadzone are great live, an essential at Glastonbury.

Going to see Chili Peppers on Sunday, not the biggest fan of their recent stuff but I grew up listening to them and haven't seen them before so am looking forward to hearing some of the old classics live.

I'm seriously tempted. What with Mogwai's last album (& subsequent EP) being fucking awesome, I might go.

In other news, in addition to metallica doing the black album at donington, it's just been announced the original black sabbath headline the sunday, & are writing new material.
I'd go to regress a few years. Except for the fact that the 14 bands joining these 2 are likely to be huge stinking piles of shite along the lines of trivium.

Yeah but my point is, WTF are Slayer doin at a Festival like ATP? I thought it was electronica/indie based?

Yeah but my point is, WTF are Slayer doin at a Festival like ATP? I thought it was electronica/indie based?

ATP is usually more indie leaning, though kinda on the side of cult stuff. I think it is kinda interesting. I get really confused with peeps in the UK aligning themselves to 1 specific genre of music. Different moods create different needs fo me. I'll happily listen to quite diverse stuff, on the same day. But I don't proclaim true metal to be the only valid form of music & then peruse my collection of Manowar cd's whilst simultaneously planning which loincloth to wear. Genre nazi's bug me. I like to experience new stuff.

Dreadzone were fun. They ended with little britain & captain dread, but changed them too drastically imo, & they didn't quite work. Fun though, & a decent live act.

Currently debating whether to get alabama 3 tickets for brum next wednesday. Anyone else a fan? I'm only going on word of mouth at the mo.

Dreadzone were fun. They ended with little britain & captain dread, but changed them too drastically imo, & they didn't quite work. Fun though, & a decent live act.

Currently debating whether to get alabama 3 tickets for brum next wednesday. Anyone else a fan? I'm only going on word of mouth at the mo.

I saw them ages ago (14 years to be precise!) at V97 and they were pretty good. I have an album that I haven't listened to in eons, but played a lot when I first got it. The theme to The Sopranos (Woke Up This Morning) is a good track of theirs and is undoubtedly their most well known now.

ATP is usually more indie leaning, though kinda on the side of cult stuff. I think it is kinda interesting. I get really confused with peeps in the UK aligning themselves to 1 specific genre of music. Different moods create different needs fo me. I'll happily listen to quite diverse stuff, on the same day. But I don't proclaim true metal to be the only valid form of music & then peruse my collection of Manowar cd's whilst simultaneously planning which loincloth to wear. Genre nazi's bug me. I like to experience new stuff.

Christ! I hope you're not calling me a genre Nazi!!!! Could not be further from the truth as I started off as a heavy metal drummer, and am currently working from home as a DJ (making mixes for college radio) and have possibly the possibly the widest rangest taste of music on here! Just finished mixing The Cinematic Orchestra - All Things to all Men with a subtle overlay of Orbital - The Box mixed in, very happy, if you think you may be interested, i have some mixes up on Soundcloud, can send you the link if you like?

I've seen them twice, really good, but quite heavy and slow. Smoke a spliff beforehand or you're gonna be bored......

I saw them ages ago (14 years to be precise!) at V97 and they were pretty good. I have an album that I haven't listened to in eons, but played a lot when I first got it. The theme to The Sopranos (Woke Up This Morning) is a good track of theirs and is undoubtedly their most well known now.

Christ! I hope you're not calling me a genre Nazi!!!! Could not be further from the truth as I started off as a heavy metal drummer, and am currently working from home as a DJ (making mixes for college radio) and have possibly the possibly the widest rangest taste of music on here! Just finished mixing The Cinematic Orchestra - All Things to all Men with a subtle overlay of Orbital - The Box mixed in, very happy, if you think you may be interested, i have some mixes up on Soundcloud, can send you the link if you like?

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Downloaded their first album, & quite like most of it.

DDW, the comment wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular. Most people I think start off liking 1 genre of music, & then learn to like other genres. I remember when I was a pure metalhead. I was only a few steps away from donning the manowar loincloths...
Then I was saved.
The comment was more a general one, inasmuchas I do still meet people who turn their noses up at a band because of what genre they think they belong to. TBH, should've put that in the things that annoy me thread.

Would love a listen to some of your high quality tune-age!

I've seen them twice, really good, but quite heavy and slow. Smoke a spliff beforehand or you're gonna be bored......

That's a standard pre-requisite before doing ANYTHING!

New material from one of my personal favourites

Just listening to Back to Black on Radio 1.

Amy Winehouse may not have been perfect, she certainly had many issues which were deep rooted and must have caused a lot of pain, but she is a musical genius.

It's a shame that she will never be able to share that gift with us again.

Chili Peppers were absolutely brilliant, far exceeded my expectations. Under the Bridge is probably the best song I've heard live, the emotion in Kiedis' voice was breathtaking.

Rush have recently released another live DVD. Time Machine was recorded live in Cleveland. It is superb. Rush are timeless, and remain one of the finest bands around.

Listening to my ipod for the first time in ages, forgot how awesome Zebrahead are...

Back