• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I only just heard one of Duran Duran's recent singles - Girl Panic! and liked it enough to check out the album. I really liked it! Some really good stuff on there just like their 80s stuff.

Last edited:
Been listening to Coldplay's new album a lot recently. I wasn't instantly grabbed by it, but it's certainly growing on me now. I'm going to actually have to agree with Jinky on something music related!!

(And yes, I know it's exceptionally uncool to like Coldplay these days, but frankly I couldn't give a fuck about that - I've always liked them. A very decent band.)

Been listening to Coldplay's new album a lot recently. I wasn't instantly grabbed by it, but it's certainly growing on me now. I'm going to actually have to agree with Jinky on something music related!!

(And yes, I know it's exceptionally uncool to like Coldplay these days, but frankly I couldn't give a fuck about that - I've always liked them. A very decent band.)

Here Here. I hate the Coldplay hate!

Top band and great music. I play them all the time.

On the Coldplay issue: I don't dislike them, Parachutes is a really good album. The problem I think most people have with them is that Chris Martin comes across as a bit of a self-righteous, pompous prick who has his head up his own arse a lot of the time. People often get confused between disliking the personality and disliking the music. That said, I find some of their recent stuff a little bit safe and boring for my taste, but it is certainly better than most of the crap that comes from the talent show production lines...

I liked Coldplay's first two album's but haven't liked the more recent stuff.

I don't feel like Coldplay does enough new things with their stylings to justify buying the new albums.

Their first album was fantastic. Their second album was the same as the first, just not as good. I don't feel like their subsequent offerings are anything worth going out of my way for.

I don't think Chris Martin is a particularly good lyricist, but I do think he can write a cracking tune. I'd agree that the later albums haven't been as good, but there have been some great tracks on every album they've released.

Chris Martin IS quite annoying whenever you hear him in the media, but he's also a really quite decent frontman. He's certainly got charisma onstage and is even likeable when performing. I do enjoy them live (though haven't seen them since Glastonbury 2005).

Agree with t3ch about trying new things. Occasionally they'll give it a go, but it seems more to appeal to the masses as opposed to anything else (they did a version of Lost with Jay-Z, and Rhianna appears on their new album - both do absolutely nothing for me to be honest). I can't criticise them for doing it though, even if it isn't executed particularly well, and certainly doesn't fit around their other tracks.

Not checked into this topic for a couple of days and we're now talking about the merits of Coldplay. I'll come back in a couple of days.

Listening to The Travelling Band and Lanterns on the Lake at the moment. Worth checking out.

Mogwai & Slayer playing Reign in Blood in full both as headliners at the ATP I'll be your mirror bash next june.

Metallica touring the black album. (From my pov, it was during this tour that they lost it. A band that wrote tunes like battery, whiplash, albums like puppets etc. The tour was overkill. 3 hours on stage every night, but too much pointless widdly widdly guff. I haven't liked metallica since. However, at the time, the record was huge!)

Oh yeah, I also see Mark Lanegan is touring next march.

And Garbage release their new cd in march too.

Slayer are playing at All Tomorrows Parties?????

Im seriously confused

Ahh yes, but why would you go to see Slayer when you could pop on the latest Coldplay album?

Slayer are playing at All Tomorrows Parties?????

Im seriously confused

I'm seriously tempted. What with Mogwai's last album (& subsequent EP) being fucking awesome, I might go.

In other news, in addition to metallica doing the black album at donington, it's just been announced the original black sabbath headline the sunday, & are writing new material.
I'd go to regress a few years. Except for the fact that the 14 bands joining these 2 are likely to be huge stinking piles of shite along the lines of trivium.

Ahh yes, but why would you go to see Slayer when you could pop on the latest Coldplay album?

I am assuming you missed the bit with REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!

Otherwise, I acknowledge your dilemma.

Back