• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I cant stop listening to The Strokes new song, coupled with this weather its doing its best to put me in a good summer mood despite our teams shocking decline.

Just back from seeing The Vaccines at Birmingham HMV Institute. Thought they were excellent and veryimpressed by the venue, apart from a group of knobheads who luckily disappeared to the bar more interested in beer when the band came on. One thing though £3.90 a pint!!!!

Bar prices aside, the institute in Brum is indeed a cracking venue.

Indeed it and the Civic are, imo the best west mids venues.

Summer evenings are making me want to dig out some Sigur Ros...

Foo Fighters new album 'Wasting Light' is up on Spotify.

I have to say, the first track does a good job of cutting your balls off and sticking them down your throat. They really are ripping it up. Which is nice. It's good to know that a band thats been around for so long can still 'rock out'.

Weirdly I haven't been a massive fan of a lot of Foo's stuff since their early stuff - but this seems to be a return to form.

Really struggled with the foos.

Loved the first album. Thought at the time it was great stuff. Listened to it a lot.
Went to see their first tour at the civic (saw their first UK show at reading fest too). The civic gig felt like a rip off though. 40 min set. No encores. Didn't even play the full album.

Never really been into them since.

I am still loving the Underworld show broadcast on radio 1 last august that I managed to get a rip of. Fucking awesome show. Proper summer music.

Currently debating with myself whether or not to buy Pearl Jams live at the globe 7cd set (quite reasonably priced in many places) and/or their re-issue of Vs/Vitology. Vs is a great (& underestimated) album imo. For some reason, I never got into Vitology. 3cd set for £30 is steep though, especially as this is more than the cost of the 7cd set!

Anyone else listened to the Beady Eye album?

I've had it on in the car for the last couple of days, growing on me more with every listen.

Saw Beady Eye going for a Chinese tonight just off Grafton st, was on my way to have dinner w Wolf Hunting, saw a big bus roll up across the road from where I work, and out jumped Liam and Gem and the rest of em! Was a bit stunned for a minute cos Liam Gallagher was stood in front of me smoking a fag, I wanted to thank him for Slide Away, but also wanted to smack him upside the head for being a total dick. Decided not to ask for a photo as they woulda probably headbutted me, the other Gallagher bro was there too, Paul I think hes called?

QOTSA playing Glasto the year I don't go. Not happy.

QOTSA playing Glasto the year I don't go. Not happy.

Like a twat, I checked the line up. It's utterly, utterly insane from my point of view. So many absolutely stonking acts on the bill. I hate anyone who has a ticket, and hope it fucking throws it down. Still, Arcade Fire aren't on the bill - but I'll be seeing them a few days after Glasto finishes.

Oh - Kenny - I checked out the Ben Folds/Nick Hornby album. Wonderful stuff, and I'm not heard many tracks better than Levi Johnston's Blues this year. I would recommend this to anyone.

Oh - Kenny - I checked out the Ben Folds/Nick Hornby album. Wonderful stuff, and I'm not heard many tracks better than Levi Johnston's Blues this year. I would recommend this to anyone.

That and From Above my favourite tracks on the album. Although I do like Belinda, a song about a washed up singer that has one hit and he hates singing it.

There's not much on the Pyramid that interests me but there's some serious talent on show in the smaller stages. Going to try and get myself a Sunday ticket pretty much purely for QOTSA.

That and From Above my favourite tracks on the album. Although I do like Belinda, a song about a washed up singer that has one hit and he hates singing it.

The track Picture Window struck a chord considering what we were going through last New Year's Eve! Almost like they wrote it with us in mind.

Cracking album, it has to be said.

A slight change of subject. In the song, "Olivers Army" by Elvis Costello, have I misheard it, or does he use the "N" word?

No, you heard it correctly - the line is:

"There was a checkpoint charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white n****r"

Thank you. I have always thought that he used that word. I am surprised it was not banned.

Like a twat, I checked the line up. It's utterly, utterly insane from my point of view. So many absolutely stonking acts on the bill. I hate anyone who has a ticket, and hope it fucking throws it down.
Well, I'm blame you then Langdale if the Sun doesn't shine. Only had a brief glance at the line up. Will sit down with my Clashfinder and highlighter closer to the time.

Just had a quite exciting few minutes.

Found out that Public Enemy will play Fear Of A Black Planet at a local venue - I am so there. Saw them 2 years ago and was completely blown away!

Also, in the same 5 minutes, found out that Penguin Cafe are playing Birmingham Town Hall. I've never been there & it has been done up a lot, so that gig was a must. Went & saw Penguin Cafe in Feb & they were very good indeed. So looking forward to that one.

Also realised it isn't long until I go & see John Cleese, and a week after that, Derren Brown.

Talking of Derren, he has a new show on, easter monday, 9pm called DERREN BROWN: MIRACLES FOR SALE . I'd encourage all to watch!

Back