• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Red Hot Chilli Peppers are shite anyway. Yeah, you're from California, we get it. Don't sing about it all the time. Plus your records are shite and I hate the way you lead with the bass, and your gypo frontman can't sing. Do one.

They have released nothing but watered down funk-pop for the last 10 years but theres no doubt that they were a force in the 90's. I saw them in Canada on the Frusciante reunion tour in 2000 and they were mental. The tour where they all had mohicans.....it went swiftly downhill from then on.......

Errrrr....no? Im not saying that! At all.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, as what I would describe as a run of the mill, average frontman, you would call an excellent frontman. Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Respect mine and dont call it 'bollocks' as its fairly obvious from the line I have highlighted that you have missed my point

Oh I respect your opinion, sir. Your music taste is (on the whole) pretty decent! Apologies if I sounded dismissive/argumentative, that was not the intention.

Garvey isn't what I'd call an excellent frontman, he merely fronts a band who don't necessarily NEED a great front man if you see what I mean? He does the job he needs to do perfectly. Whereas someone like Kiedis - who you would think would need to 'get the crowd going' etc - really doesn't do that job.

Basically, Garvey DOES have presence. But a frontman behaving in the way that the others you listed for an Elbow-style gig would be about as appropriate as a Dragonforce-style guitar solo in a Mozart concert performed by the Royal Philharmonic.

Elbow are okay. I would rather listen to their stuff than many other choices, but there are a lot of bands I prefer. Hip Hop = Musical AIDS

This suprises me a little Paddy. Good hip-hop has the same/similar intensity as good metal. Have you got the Judgement Night soundtrack? Dire film, but some class tune-age on there. Perhaps you have not listened to the right style of hip-hop. Anthrax wouldn't like to hear you say that...

Good hip hop is very, very good. Bad hip hop is unutterably bad. Unfortunately there is far too much of the latter.

On a tangent, Terrorvision's new album Super Delux is really rather super indeed.

In most styles, there is too much shite. Except country & western, where it is all shite.
Terrorvision have a newie out? Great singles band, never nailed an album imo.

They have released nothing but watered down funk-pop for the last 10 years but theres no doubt that they were a force in the 90's. I saw them in Canada on the Frusciante reunion tour in 2000 and they were mental. The tour where they all had mohicans.....it went swiftly downhill from then on.......

Regarding RHCP, bloodsugarsexmagic is a fantastic album. That aside, some good singles, but they never moved on from it imo & persistently tried to recreate that style of album/success.

Regarding elbow, I'm off to see them - same gig as langdale. I like TSSK. I am looking forward to see what they do live. I hope it is fun. My take, Garvey doesn't want to be a stand out front man - the emphasis with elbow is the whole, the band. I wouldn't go overboard on them. TSSK however, works as an album (too many albums are a few killer tracks with a fair bit of filler). However, I'm not rushing out to buy the newie, & will wait til the gig.

One thing which has suprised me with them though, is you can buy the standard cd, or a digipack of the album. £5 difference, yet all that is different between the 2 is the package. That to me is pretty poor (unless there are hidden bonus tracks or sumfink!)

Yup, they released their first album in ten years at the end of last month, and very, very good it is too. New drummer replaces Shutty and he can certainly bang some pans.

Just listening to Noel Gallagher's live solo album 'Dreams We Had As Children'.

I love it. He sounds SO much better without his turd of a relative leeching off Noel's talent.

Anyone that's been to the HMV Insitute in Birmingham, where is best to place to watch a gig? Stalls, Balcony or Upper Balcony?

SSB pretty much everywhere is a good enough view. The place isn't massive, so downstairs is fine.

Part of me feels the answer depends on the gig & how you want to experience it. If it is a nice mellow thing, then possibly sitting upstairs is what you need. If there's a groove, then downstairs.

The room is wide, so wherever, you'll have a good view.

If you are tiny, then balcony!

Part of me feels the answer depends on the gig & how you want to experience it.
Thanks. Looking at going to see The Vaccines. I'll opt for the stalls I think.

Anyone that's been to the HMV Insitute in Birmingham, where is best to place to watch a gig? Stalls, Balcony or Upper Balcony?

I watched Ben Folds there a few weeks ago. I was in the Upper Balcony. Sat at the front (to the left of the stage) and because its a small venue the view is brilliant.

You know it. Keep bad mouthing my band I will be forced to dance around in my underwear.

You are without doubt the most un-american american I have ever conversed with. Most refreshing.

Run for president

Considering some of the tripe mentioned in this thread I'm astounded to see Chili Peppers getting a slating. Anthony Kiedis is a legend and a iconic frontman. Flee is an incredible bass player and John Frusciante plays the guitar beautifully. Of course, like thousands of other bands, their earlier stuff is better than their newer stuff - but I'd hardly say their newer records are 'bad' when you look at some of the other shite gracing the airwaves.

Crazy.

Anyway, I have tickets for Everything Everything at Shepherds Bush Empire in May. Sweet.

Back