• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Any hip-hop fans on here? Not the modern shite that's around today, Tribe of Quest, The Pharcyde, Rakim etc etc

Bits & Bobs - I like bits of all music. Except country & western.

Juice soundtrack, sugarhill, public enemy, tribe CALLED quest, gangstarr...

No idea where I got Tribe of Quest from, seeing as I'd been listening to them all day.

Hehe....

How about the roots? Quality stuff..

As is Roots Manuva.

I'm a tiny white guy. Took a giant black mate of mine to see Roots. He'd never heard of him. Danced all night long. The irony of a lickle whiteboy introducing a black feller to a hip-hop act still makes me giggle!

I'm only just beginning to really explore hip hop, most of the stuff I'm listening to now was released before I was born!

Got a fair bit of Roots Manuva and a little bit of The Roots.

Never thought I'd get in to hip-hop, used to be a music snob whilst at school thinking that anything that wasn't rock/metal was shite. Obviously not. In fact, I hardly listen to most of what I previously used to listen to.

I'm only just beginning to really explore hip hop, most of the stuff I'm listening to now was released before I was born!

Got a fair bit of Roots Manuva and a little bit of The Roots.

Never thought I'd get in to hip-hop, used to be a music snob whilst at school thinking that anything that wasn't rock/metal was shite. Obviously not. In fact, I hardly listen to most of what I previously used to listen to.

Pretty much what happened to me fella. As you grow, you experience new stuff which makes you think "I like that", which is contrary to your perspective on what you assume they will sound like. You learn there is other good stuff out there.

I remember being into rock music, & was at a mates house, & they were playing James really loud. I went into whatever room they were in asking what the awesome music was. I was told "James". I said "I don't like them!" Obviously that was bollocks, as I did like it. I assumed that rockers shouldn't like that kinda stuff.

Anyhow, I started borrowing other types of music, & realised that focussing on 1 genre was way too limiting for the experiences that we have as human beings.

Interesting that hip-hop is the first different style of music you're getting into. I know rockers have found hip-hop to have a similar intensity to rock music, plus you're still an outlaw, so it is easier.

I love most types of music. I am still a music snob.

Your choice of older stuff is commendable Nando. Can't beat Public Enemy. I assume you've heard Ice-T and/or Bodycount? A fair bit of Wu-Tang Clan stuff is great.

For really varied stuff, try listening to Girl Talk. He mashes a lot of stuff with hip-hop. It is awesome. Google "illegal art" and download his new album All Day for free.

Busta Rhymes is also well worth listening to. Also, DJ Spinbads fabriclive mix album is real good!

!" Obviously that was bollocks, as I did like it. I assumed that rockers shouldn't like that kinda stuff.

Exactly, just how I use to feel.

My music collection is dominated by rock/metal/indie (very generic terms I know). I've had a few hip-hop albums over the past 4-5 years but only from mainstream artists like Dr Dre and Snoop, although The Chronic, 2001 and Doggystyle are terrific albums and rightly regarded as classics. Never really listened to them as "I assumed that rockers shouldn't like that kinda stuff". Ended up listening to them one day and loved it. I Moved from them onto Tupac, Biggie etc and then onto what Tribe, Gang Starr etc which is the stuff I'm really in to now.

Build A Rocket Boys! is considerably better on the 2nd listen. I still think it sounds more like past Elbow albums as opposed to the 'follow up' to TSSK. And The Birds is awesome. My favourite track.

I've been a fan since 1972. Love the bloke! Wish he'd come out of retirement and surprise us, again. He was always at least three steps ahead of everyone else. Makes Elton look like a heavyweight boxer.
My favourites are....
'Wild Is The Wind'
'Amsterdam'
'All The Madmen'
'I'm Deranged'
'Soul Love'
'Life On Mars'
'Cracked Actor'

Fantastic. Did you ever see him, North-West?

I think he's brilliant, and was always ahead of anyone else.

managed to make the changes concert at the NEC, it was just amazing.

I do not get what the fuss is about Elbow. My ex tried to get me into them, but they are just too forgettable. No real solid hooks and Im sorry fans, but no musical balls at all. Very middle of the road fodder for middle aged people who are happy and content. Nothing wrong with that of course but my music needs to have a bit of passion, style and flair and Elbow display none of these things. Their music is as bland as their appearance. Ive seen em 3 times, all at the Irish version of Glastonbury and they always draw a huge crowd but have zero charisma on stage. Guy Garvey told a joke once, and people were stunned...." No Guy, what are you doin?? Dont break out of your Statesman like persona...."

On another subject, Mike Starr, original bassist for Alice in Chains has been found dead. Sad news for the band as he had appeared on Celebrity Rehab and seemed to be on the road to recovery. What a waste. RIP Mike. Make more sweet music when you meet Layne in heaven....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBB2OS4IoTs

If you think Guy Garvey has no charisma then I worry about you. Just because he does f and blind between songs or jumps into the audience doesn't mean he doesn't have presence. No passion?! Rubbish - try watching them play 'Tower Crane Driver' and how much they give during their live shows. Passionless? Quite the opposite. If I was talented enough to be able to make music for a living, theirs is just the style of music I'd choose to play. Don't like 'em? Fine. No problem with that at all. But credit it where it's due - they are bloody good live.

Elbow's music is just beautiful - some of the best produced music around at the moment. Different strokes for different folks maybe, but I absolutely adore them. Marvellous band who produce beautiful music.

Elbow are a lovely band.

Re: hip-hop; not a massive fan, but I do like a lot of Run DMC's early 80s stuff.

Elbow are okay. I would rather listen to their stuff than many other choices, but there are a lot of bands I prefer. Hip Hop = Musical AIDS

You have quite literally the worst musical taste of any man I have ever met, Mr P. Sorry and all that.

Musical taste is subjective and all that. I fail to understand why you don't love Machine Head and Death myself

I have tried to educate you. I failed.

If you think Guy Garvey has no charisma then I worry about you. Just because he does f and blind between songs or jumps into the audience doesn't mean he doesn't have presence. No passion?! Rubbish - try watching them play 'Tower Crane Driver' and how much they give during their live shows. Passionless? Quite the opposite. If I was talented enough to be able to make music for a living, theirs is just the style of music I'd choose to play. Don't like 'em? Fine. No problem with that at all. But credit it where it's due - they are bloody good live.

Elbow's music is just beautiful - some of the best produced music around at the moment. Different strokes for different folks maybe, but I absolutely adore them. Marvellous band who produce beautiful music.

Of course you're going to say that....you're a fan! I have given them an honest go and listened to all their albums repeatedly (apart from the new one, I have only heard the single but its the same old same).

Queen/Zeppelin/Fleetwood Mac/U2 are powerful live bands. Elbow are not. I cant agree w you about Garveys stage presence cos he has none. He applauds the crowd between songs....big deal. David Bowie is a frontman with charisma. Tom Waits has it. Robert Plant definitely has it. Mick Jagger has charisma. Liam Gallagher has charisma onstage and presence. Garvey does not! He just doesnt and he is definitely not renowned as being a strong frontman! If you think he is, check out Scott Weiland or Eddie Vedder or Anthony Kiedis

Good hip hop is very, very good. Bad hip hop is unutterably bad. Unfortunately there is far too much of the latter.

On a tangent, Terrorvision's new album Super Delux is really rather super indeed.

Of course you're going to say that....you're a fan! I have given them an honest go and listened to all their albums repeatedly (apart from the new one, I have only heard the single but its the same old same).

Queen/Zeppelin/Fleetwood Mac/U2 are powerful live bands. Elbow are not. I cant agree w you about Garveys stage presence cos he has none. He applauds the crowd between songs....big deal. David Bowie is a frontman with charisma. Tom Waits has it. Robert Plant definitely has it. Mick Jagger has charisma. Liam Gallagher has charisma onstage and presence. Garvey does not! He just doesnt and he is definitely not renowned as being a strong frontman! If you think he is, check out Scott Weiland or Eddie Vedder or Anthony Kiedis

What you're basically saying is that you can only have charisma if you play songs with a quick beat or are 'outspoken'. That is bollocks. He is an excellent frontman for the music Elbow play. It's not all about smashing instruments, being an utter wanker (Mr Gallagher....) or jumping into the crowd. Elbow don't need such a frontman - to have someone do any of that would ruin the experience of seeing them live. It's a completely different necessity. Garvey does a different type of job from those other frontmen.

I just think you don't appreciate Elbow, which is fair enough. But to say Guy Garvey has no presence is utter rubbish.

Oh, and I have seen RHCP. Garvey has far more presence than Kiedis. He's not even the Chillis frontman anyway! Flea was ace but Kiedis did not look bothered at all (and I do appreciate that I didn't see them at their peak to fully appreciate how good AK might have been once upon a time).

Red Hot Chilli Peppers are shite anyway. Yeah, you're from California, we get it. Don't sing about it all the time. Plus your records are shite and I hate the way you lead with the bass, and your gypo frontman can't sing. Do one.

What you're basically saying is that you can only have charisma if you play songs with a quick beat or are 'outspoken'. That is bollocks. He is an excellent frontman for the music Elbow play. It's not all about smashing instruments, being an utter wanker (Mr Gallagher....) or jumping into the crowd. Elbow don't need such a frontman - to have someone do any of that would ruin the experience of seeing them live. It's a completely different necessity. Garvey does a different type of job from those other frontmen.

I just think you don't appreciate Elbow, which is fair enough. But to say Guy Garvey has no presence is utter rubbish.

Oh, and I have seen RHCP. Garvey has far more presence than Kiedis. He's not even the Chillis frontman anyway! Flea was ace but Kiedis did not look bothered at all (and I do appreciate that I didn't see them at their peak to fully appreciate how good AK might have been once upon a time).

Errrrr....no? Im not saying that! At all.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, as what I would describe as a run of the mill, average frontman, you would call an excellent frontman. Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Respect mine and dont call it 'bollocks' as its fairly obvious from the line I have highlighted that you have missed my point

Back