• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Anyone into Joan As Police Woman?

Yes, she's ace. I listen to a lot of female singer/songwriter stuff at the mo. Current faves are Joan, Cat Power and Laura Marling.

Also enjoying the new album by the wonderful The Go! Team. As I type on Spotify.

BTW worst live band, definitely the used. God, they were aweful.

Worst live experience was seeing primal scream at the civic. They played one song twice. I felt fucking robbed. I will never go and see them again after that, as their performance seemed ever such a going through the motions type.

Yes, she's ace. I listen to a lot of female singer/songwriter stuff at the mo. Current faves are Joan, Cat Power and Laura Marling.

Also enjoying the new album by the wonderful The Go! Team. As I type on Spotify.

Hmmmm. I absolutely loved Thunder Lightening Strike! Their 2nd album really didn't grab me. How much would you recommend it?

Hmmmm. I absolutely loved Thunder Lightening Strike! Their 2nd album really didn't grab me. How much would you recommend it?

Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment. On the first couple of listens I'd say it's more likeable than Proof of Youth. Some more immediate songs. I don't think it's up there with TLS, but that's one of my favourite albums ever. The sound is identical though. Nothing you could identify as artistic progression.

penguin cafe:
They've done some world class stuff!

I'm also off to see Jerry Sadowitz in a week, & Mogwai in 2 weeks!

is that the bham institute gig with the twilight sad? i'm going though as much to see the sad as mogwai.

i've always found Band of Horses rather hit and miss - brilliant moments, and the funeral is obviously a hugely stand out track. I like some of their other stuff, but after seeing them once, won't be doing it again. Yeeha!

wasn't Joan Wasser the offical g/f of Jeff Buckley at the time of his death, although he was fooling around with Liz Fraser of the cocteaus as well I believe. Real Life is a good album, though in my quieter moments, unlike PJH who I'll listen to anytime and who imo is a Goddess.

is that the bham institute gig with the twilight sad? i'm going though as much to see the sad as mogwai.

i've always found Band of Horses rather hit and miss - brilliant moments, and the funeral is obviously a hugely stand out track. I like some of their other stuff, but after seeing them once, won't be doing it again. Yeeha!

wasn't Joan Wasser the offical g/f of Jeff Buckley at the time of his death, although he was fooling around with Liz Fraser of the cocteaus as well I believe. Real Life is a good album, though in my quieter moments, unlike PJH who I'll listen to anytime and who imo is a Goddess.

Not sure about being his g-friend at time of death but she definitely had a fling w him.. the song ' Everybody here wants you' is about her. I got dragged to a Joan gig at Electric Picnic a few years back.....not bad. Florence is better. And Bjork is even better. SHE came out dressed as a toadstool!

Not sure about being his g-friend at time of death but she definitely had a fling w him.. the song ' Everybody here wants you' is about her. I got dragged to a Joan gig at Electric Picnic a few years back.....not bad. Florence is better. And Bjork is even better. SHE came out dressed as a toadstool!

No, no, no. Florence might sound slightly better than a cat that's on fire (just) but I reckon that's her limit. With you on Bjork though. A mad genius.

Hmm, not a massive fan of woman fronted bands. The one exception being Ladyhawke who is awesome. But she's more of a solo artist anyway.

Yeah, the Sugarcubes were a bit difficult, weren't they?

Generally, I like a lady singer. Other top female fronted (or all female) bands are Camera Obscura, Electralane, Stereolab and Broadcast (RIP Trish Keenan).

That is the gig I'm off to. I love Mogwai, ever since I first heard them on Mary Ann Hobbes. Love something about all of their albums. Young Team is still my favourite, and the remastered version is the best ever remaster ever.

I've ordered the all singing & dancing boxset of their newie & can't wait.

Rumour is they will give cody the remaster treatment, with a release around april I hear...

SLA, are you aware that the Go Team play the Institute thursday?

Gah! posted then realised you're in Guildford!

That is the gig I'm off to. I love Mogwai, ever since I first heard them on Mary Ann Hobbes. Love something about all of their albums. Young Team is still my favourite, and the remastered version is the best ever remaster ever.

I've ordered the all singing & dancing boxset of their newie & can't wait.

Rumour is they will give cody the remaster treatment, with a release around april I hear...

you like any similar type of stuff? i guess GYBE, explosions in teh sky and othe other canadian ensembles spring to mind. There's always Slint ;)

Any of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJlOrAF9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6JVS9H8ktA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tub-0a5Yo08&feature=related

Go! Team are ace.

Going to see Primal Scream do Screamadelica in March, saw Band Of Horses last month and am about to book Arcade Fire tickets for Manchester.

All things being well..

I liked the first White Lies album, but not a fan of their new stuff. Just can't get into it. Remember seeing them play the Little Civic to about 40 people.

I went to see Primal Scream play a secret Kerrang Radio gig at Birmingham Barfly about 3/4 years ago. Ranks in the top 10 gigs I've ever been to.

For once in my life I've not got much booked gig wise. Was toying with going to see Arctic Monkeys in Sheffield, but they'll no doubt announce festival dates and another tour once the two dates have sold out.

I like the White lies, used to think they were just another dull indie band to go along with the hundreds there seems to be now but i saw them in the summer as one of the support acts to Muse at Wembley and i was rather impressed, really like their new single.

you like any similar type of stuff? i guess GYBE, explosions in teh sky and othe other canadian ensembles spring to mind. There's always Slint ;)

Any of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJlOrAF9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6JVS9H8ktA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tub-0a5Yo08&feature=related

I saw your avatar in a recent Q's most influential albums or something, & straight away thought of you!

GYBE are interesting. Explosions in the sky I like (great name for a band, that). Regarding the links, I had honestly never heard of any of them. Really did enjoy the Djed track I have to say.

Go! Team are ace.

Going to see Primal Scream do Screamadelica in March, saw Band Of Horses last month and am about to book Arcade Fire tickets for Manchester.

All things being well..

Said earlier, first Go Team album is class. Not so sure with Proof of youth. I am intruigued by their newie...

Primal scream I spit on. But the reason for this is I went to see them, & they played the same song twice - same visuals, even stood in the same places! I felt robbed. They were really poor, looked disinterested, & wasn't a great gig. I vowed I'd never see em again.

I would have broken this rule on the screamadelica tour, except for the fact that they're playing the academy, which also makes me spit. Worst. Venue. Ever.

I am seriously thinking about buying the big tin boxset re-release of screamadelica though, even though it is (imo) overpriced.

Back