• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I need to get my teeth(ears) in to something new. Struggling to find anything that makes my dick hard.

Of the new crop that are being played on national radio, there's nothing I really like. Best of the bunch are The 1975, but their second song is so much like their first one (Chocolate) it's left me very disappointed and I will probably not bother pursuing them any further. Jake Bugg, Frank Turner, Tom Odel and The Lumineers do nothing for me and I'm already sick of that Daft Punk song. I need something with longevity.

I don't really have as much time to seek out some new tunes, so I am appealing to you guys to do that for me :D
How do you guys go about finding new stuff? Is it worth signing up to Spotify?? I'm very apprehensive as if I decide to cancel my subscription then I can no long listen to what I've been paying for. I think I'd still rather pay for albums as I like to listen to them for years.

I'm, generally, an indie/alternative/acoustic fan but have a penchant for melodic, rhythmic funky rock and even used to delve into metal when it was good (c.1997/8). I'm a sucker for vocal harmony. I am usually put off by extremely good voices as good songwriting takes precedent for me. So with that in mind, what's new that's worth listening to?

have you checked out Toy or in a similar vein, Charlie Boyer and the voyeurs who've just got a new album coming out.

kurt vile has a new album out. the black angels have a new album out which has got a few good reviews. no joy's album is nice.

Last edited:
Too be fair it isn't my favourite of theirs, it's called "Weight of Living"

have you checked out Toy or in a similar vein, Charlie Boyer and the voyeurs who've just got a new album coming out.

kurt vile has a new album out. the black angels have a new album out which has got a few good reviews. no joy's album is nice.

Cheers fella. I'll have a looksy.

I need to get my teeth(ears) in to something new. Struggling to find anything that makes my dick hard.

I don't really have as much time to seek out some new tunes, so I am appealing to you guys to do that for me :D
How do you guys go about finding new stuff?

It seems to be getting a bit more difficult. Used to be able to find something on the radio. At least there was always Peel though to be honest I always preferred Mary-Ann Hobbs, until she went all grime on me.

A lot would also come through hearing friends stuff.

I recall being a whipper-snapper going to gigs with a mate, & I'd be all enthused about a gig, yet he'd be very "meh" about it. The more you hear, the less likely it is you'll hear something new. I went to see kaiser cheifs (freebie) & stood there thinking "that bits madness/the specials, that bits floyd, that bits thin lizzy" and so on...

Have you got any Sigur Ros? If no, get some.
Ever heard of Son of Dave? Different & good blues-y fun!
Little bit of mogwai never did anyone any harm - first album (Young Team) or most recent (Hardcore will never die...) are superb.
Got any Spiritualized?
Download the Girl Talk All Day album in a seamless file for free:
http://illegal-art.net/allday/

Yeah, I'm a fan of Sigur Ros. Wish I'd been able to see them this year at Wolves - good gigs at the Civic are few and far between.

I'll take a look into the other bands - mostly a case of heard of, but not heard. I've heard some Spiritualized before, but they've never really stuck with me. Not sure why.

Only radio show I enjoy listening to is Huey Morgan on 6Music on a Sunday. Very eclectic and relentlessly cool.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Sigur Ros. Wish I'd been able to see them this year at Wolves - good gigs at the Civic are few and far between.

I'll take a look into the other bands - mostly a case of heard of, but not heard. I've heard some Spiritualized before, but they've never really stuck with me. Not sure why.

Only radio show I enjoy listening to is Huey Morgan on 6Music on a Sunday. Very eclectic and relentlessly cool.

after which it will be necessary to check out Spacemen 3.

Was listening to Huey Morgan yesterday whilst painting!
As a muso, I'm amazed that you've never stuck with spiritualized. ladies & gentlemen, live at the albert hall, electric mainline, pure phase, & to be honest I really like their latest Sweet Heart Sweet Light.

Nimrod is bang on, check spacemen 3 out too.

When I eventually pop round, I'll bring a usb with me ridiculous number of cd's on it. Hopefully it'll give us some inspiration for a chat!

I quite like this John Grant new-ish one called I Wanna Go To Marz:

Reminds me of Rufus Wainright.

Cheers for the recommendations chaps. Got some homework to do!

While we're recommending stuff I'll chuck a few more in...

Minus The Bear - A rock band from Seattle who should be more popular. Used to be bit more experimental in their earlier days.

Page France - Split up now unfortunately. This song never fails to put me in a good mood:

Rocky Votolato - An acoustic solo artist who sings lots of songs about getting drunk on whiskey.

I will go and stop annoying you all with random bollocks now!

No worries. I made an error in my post - it should have read funktastic. It has a very late 70s/early 80s disco vibe to it, hence such collaborations with Nile Rodgers from Chic on a couple of the tracks,

Back