• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

All the way from America. Joan Armatrading.
Hallelujah. Fairground attraction.
Popped consecutively on the iPod. Not classics but poignant.

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the Happy thread, but just had a message from a mate of mine asking if I'm free in mid-September as I might be interested in securing a free ticket to a gig that will 'be of interest' to me.

After keeping me in suspense for half an hour or so, he told me that he's bagged a few freebies to see the one act I have not yet seen live but want to see above any other act out there today:

Roger Waters performing The Wall at Wembley Stadium.

Absolutely fucking buzzing - that will be a dream come true.

Listened to this album on my morning walk to work and now cant get this song out of my head.

Didn't know which version was better so posted them both!

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the Happy thread, but just had a message from a mate of mine asking if I'm free in mid-September as I might be interested in securing a free ticket to a gig that will 'be of interest' to me.

After keeping me in suspense for half an hour or so, he told me that he's bagged a few freebies to see the one act I have not yet seen live but want to see above any other act out there today:

Roger Waters performing The Wall at Wembley Stadium.

Absolutely fucking buzzing - that will be a dream come true.

I love it when a plan comes together...

There seem to be loads of smiths fans on here. Do you lot know Johnny Marr is playing HMV institute in brum next march?

No, but I know he's got a new album out soon.

think it is the 16th march.
tbh didn't pay much attention, as personally I can't stand the smiths...

2012 CD.

Today's Supernatural - Animal Collective
Fear of Darkness - Disappears
The Modern Age - Exitmusic
The Witch - The Walkmen
Fall In - Cloud Nothings
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame Impala
Open Your Heart - The Men
Brains - Lower Dens
The Nights of Wine and Roses - Japandroids
The Hours - Beach House
Headache - METZ
Brats - Liars
Yet Again - Grizzly Bear
Flower Card Games - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Past Lives - Diiv
Mine Tonight - Dum Dum Girls
Feelings Are Meant To Be Hurt - OFF
Chasing My Mind - Holograms
My Heart Skips A Beat - Toy
You're The Doctor - Ty Segall
Circles - Moon Duo
Size Meets the Sound - Woods

After 2 listens, Tame Impala sounds like a lost Mercury Rev, Past Lives by Diiv sounds like some mental manchester lost tape, & I'm really loving the ones I've highlighted above. I think the Liars track is my fave thus far.

Many thanks for this. Almost all is bands I've heard of, rather than heard stuff by, so a sound introduction. Hasn't been a single thing I haven't liked.

After 2 listens, Tame Impala sounds like a lost Mercury Rev, Past Lives by Diiv sounds like some mental manchester lost tape, & I'm really loving the ones I've highlighted above. I think the Liars track is my fave thus far.

Many thanks for this. Almost all is bands I've heard of, rather than heard stuff by, so a sound introduction. Hasn't been a single thing I haven't liked.
Glad you like. Some great albums from last year and I had to miss a few things off too. The Diiv guitars on that track sounded like Felt to me. There's some other great tracks on that.

I'd say my personal favourite would be the Lower Dens track closely followed by Disappears, but obviously I like them all a lot. The Metz album is brutally great.

Exitmusic & Liars are probably the 2 tracks I'm loving straight off. AYWKUBTTOTD is the only band I'd previously heard stuff by, though I had heard of Exitmusic & it certainly didn't disappoint.

Took me 2 listens to properly appreciate the offbeat Japandroids intro, but a great tune.

An old friend of mine was a huge punk fan, & introduced me to some good stuff. He appreciated music that had "oomph". He'd have liked most of this. When I listened, the first word that popped into my head was Oomph!:icon_biggrin:

Awesome! I've been looking for a video of this for ages. Didn't think I was gonna find it. Brilliant "little heard of" song. I always like songs that tell a story in the lyrics too.

Exitmusic & Liars are probably the 2 tracks I'm loving straight off. AYWKUBTTOTD is the only band I'd previously heard stuff by, though I had heard of Exitmusic & it certainly didn't disappoint.

Took me 2 listens to properly appreciate the offbeat Japandroids intro, but a great tune.

An old friend of mine was a huge punk fan, & introduced me to some good stuff. He appreciated music that had "oomph". He'd have liked most of this. When I listened, the first word that popped into my head was Oomph!:icon_biggrin:

ta, i looked back and the ones i did in 2010 and 2011 were probably mellower (a bit at least). just depended on what i bought that year, perhaps i'm getting angrier.

here's one i missed off - they're better than the set they did at the mogwai gig. i had a track of theirs shortlisted but at 6 mins was too long. same with Lanegan. both had v good albums out. I should have used this instead of the moon duo track just to rock it a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yK8R_oTas

Re the twighlight sad, nimrod, have you heard chvrches? The 2 tracks I've heard sounded interesting & I'd like to hear more...

i follow the sad on twitter and they've posted a lot of stuff about chvrches but not had a good listen yet. i think meursault's something for the weakened was one of the highest ranked albums by a scottish band last year.

Back