• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Bruce wants the gig.

Should cheer up the Ireland fans

Look forward to Ahmed O'Elmohamady rocking up

Financially they're screwed. Not sure who they could attract. Fat Sam managed in Ireland once upon a time but he won't work for nothing.

Maybe the DoF at Solihull Moors fancies a go at it

Look forward to Ahmed O'Elmohamady rocking up

Financially they're screwed. Not sure who they could attract. Fat Sam managed in Ireland once upon a time but he won't work for nothing.
Managers salary is shite compared to UK teams but Is not too bad compared to alot of International teams, so might pull someone out the hat.
Usual suspects lining up
Bruce, fat sam, mad Roy all mentioned,
Neil Lennon favourite with bookies (irish, cheap out of work), Chris Hughton also realistic possibility.

Been a lot of talk about Lee Carsley since the summer (when everyone knew kenny was going), did hear a journalist who is close to FAI say when that rumour 1st arose that it was bullshit, came back recently & said he was wrong & there is something in it, but lot of hoops to jump through with him.

Stephen Kenny sacked by Ireland
Not technically correct , his contract is not being renewed .

I think it was only right that he was allowed see out his contract , it's not as if it would have made a whole pile of difference to our results . There are a few friendly games in Spring , followed by Nations Cup games then , so there is a bit of a gap .

It's no small task though for the new incumbent . The players simply are not there right now and all the older heads that were decent are gone .

One thing we never had under Kenny was a good Management team beside him . A lot of them were inexperienced , just like he was , and that's a recipe for trouble when the squad is weak .

If Southgate goes after the Euros then Carsley would be strong favourite for the England job.
Carsley has little experience of managing players at senior level . That's a huge jump for him , especially when you consider that England would regard themselves as a team going places .

If Howe's still employed by Newcastle at the end of the season then he won't leave for the England job
Don't think it suits Potter who seems to need lots of time on the training ground to get his system working

Pretty thin gruel after that if we're looking purely at English managers, which we probably would owing to our gammon fanbase. And yes I know Carsley is kind of Irish, but realistically he's not.

Like if he carried on doing pretty well with us, O'Neil would probably enter the conversation.

If we keep playing as we are the hype around GO (from the outside) will get weirdly hyperbolic, I'd bet.

Nah, we'd need to finish Top 6 for him to be spoken about credibly

You reckon?

Southgate, Allardyce, Hodgson and McClaren are the four most recent English appointments. One failed in his only ever club job and wasn't great with the U21s, one dinosaur twat who should never have got close, one who was great at lower mid-table clubs (still pulling the same trick now) but came horribly unstuck at Liverpool and one who nearly got sacked six months before he landed the England gig.

Potter has never finished higher than 9th in the PL and as I say Howe wouldn't leave Newcastle if they don't sack him.

Keegan is the last big name Englishman, even then it was in the last century and he'd shuffled away to third tier Fulham (where he was obviously punching miles below his weight, just being paid well to do so).

Hoddle got the job despite being rubbish for Chelsea, didn't even finish in the top 10 once.

Last edited:
Top 10 finish for me & he'd be spoken about credibly. If he did that following keeping Bournemouth up his stock among pundits/ journalists would be high.
I get the impression however that he's also aware himself of his own development needs & would see it as being too soon experience wise.

I can't see a Premier League manager giving that up to manage England. Unless they're a relegation inevitability and not likely to get back again.
It's just not the draw it used to be.

The press wouldn't have a manager with under 2 seasons experience and never finished above for the sake of argument 12th. With the exception of McClaren all of ones you mentioned were popular in those circles

Carsley would be favoured over him as the continuity candidate who has won a major age group tournament.

Anyway available at 40/1 if you think it's realistic

I don't think any of us are saying he's likely, but there would be speculation.
Disagree the press would rule him out based on inexperience, but it would count against him.
I suspect the fa will go with carsley for the continuity.

Sheffield United have sacked Paul Heckingbottom. Chris Wilder set to replace him

Deckchairs on the titanic. Wilder has done nothing any good since he last left Bramall Lane. He needs to hope he has the mojo at one club like Ainswortg at Wycombe or Nathan bestintheworld at Luton.

I actually think Blades would be better off in the short term bringing Warnock back than Wilder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back