• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Milner made his PL debut around the same time, look at the difference in shape!

I get why genuinely big clubs need a big name, it's all about gravitas. We aren't in that bracket but our job was ALWAYS too big for Lage, you cannot command any respect at that level with your background.

Blues have been a mostly terrible Championship club since 2011, why do they need a big name?

We aren't in that bracket but our job was ALWAYS too big for Lage, you cannot command any respect at that level with your background.

In terms of coaching CV?

He had won the league with Benfica. More down to Felix but it's still an achievement that is more than GoN, Kompany and many more in the PL

It wasn't Lage's CV that was the problem, it's the fact he wasn't a very good man manager.

He's an absolute nobody, a Portuguese Tony Barton in terms of profile if you're being very generous. Two months before we appointed him I doubt 5% of Wolves fans even knew his name.

He's also an awful coach.

I'd go out on a limb and say that winning the Primeira with Benfica (plus Felix, no less) was less of an achievement for Lage than Burnley running away with the Championship last season was for Kompany.

Not that poor Vincent doesn't look a smidge out of his depth at the moment.

I'd go out on a limb and say that winning the Primeira with Benfica (plus Felix, no less) was less of an achievement for Lage than Burnley running away with the Championship last season was for Kompany.

Not that poor Vincent doesn't look a smidge out of his depth at the moment.
So you think winning a top league by going unbeaten (19 games) isn't as good as winning the second division?

Whatever we think of Lage you can't take that away from him. He wasn't a complete novice with zero on his CV.

Do you think Roberto di Matteo is a reputable manager?

Way more on his managerial CV than Lage and a quality playing career.

Lage was a cone boy with no reputation and no name for years until he had an extended caretaker spell at Benfica which is the sole high point of his career.

Blues really are the experts of pulling out a shot gun and blowing their foot off, Eustace has done as good a job as could possibly be expected really not sure what Blues owners think their level is.

I don't think it's the right call but "6th place" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, they're 3 points above Millwall in 15th and recently went five without a win (only scored 2 in those 5 games too).

Do you think Roberto di Matteo is a reputable manager?

Way more on his managerial CV than Lage and a quality playing career.

Lage was a cone boy with no reputation and no name for years until he had an extended caretaker spell at Benfica which is the sole high point of his career.
I really don't care about playing career. Means fuck all as Gerard, Lampard, Sacchi, Mourinho and others are proving.

I really don't care about playing career. Means fuck all as Gerard, Lampard, Sacchi, Mourinho and others are proving.
Doesn't matter to me, does matter to players to a point.

When you've got Bruno Bibs treating international players like schoolchildren it's a recipe for disaster. Always going to be a problem if results turn because who the fuck is this guy.

Doesn't matter to me, does matter to players to a point.

When you've got Bruno Bibs treating international players like schoolchildren it's a recipe for disaster. Always going to be a problem if results turn because who the fuck is this guy.
I really don't think the players give a toss.

Mourinho, Big Ange, Hodgson all had zero playing career.

The fact Lage went 19 games in a top European league can't be taken away from him. He must've been good at one point and I've no doubt he's a good coach but terrible manager.

It looks like we've employed very similar with the former FGR boss. By all accounts a failed manager but a really good coach.

Bruno had a good reputation. Plenty of Portugese players knew about him and respected him. Handy for us.

Clearly a decent coach etc but woeful at managing players on a personal level and once he has lost them at that level he can't get them back.
Has Saundersitus when talking as well.

If Villa had fucked up the play offs the year before he would have been their problem for a short while.

It's back to the Hoddle point from a couple of days back.

If you have terrible results and play awful football (which he does) then I'm not sure how he's a good coach.

It's back to the Hoddle point from a couple of days back.

If you have terrible results and play awful football (which he does) then I'm not sure how he's a good coach.
I really don't mean to patronise here but the difference being a manager or head coach sets the agenda and communication style and a good coach carries out those agendas.

Both Hoddle and Lage are good coaches but terrible head coaches/ managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back