• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
CnPIUOlWIAAUgCr.jpg:large

West Ham played some decent stuff under him in his last season there, Sunderland weren't free flowing but there situation was never going to allow that and he seemed happy to make it work with Defoe up top alone a lot rather than find some big unit to enable hoofball.

He's no footballing oracle by any means but he doesn't seem as bad now as he used to and should at least be able to get a team to play in an orchestrated way.

I have just noticed this tweet from Big Sam (which has nothing to do with his managerial ability whatsover I know)

Want to say a big well done to those who graduated from @SunderlandUni last week. #HawaytheGrads

Bravo Sam. Bravo.

And what is wrong with pardew exactly?

Everyone's sat on here criticising Coleman for the last year or so. He didn't only get Wales to the tournament but got them to the semi finals! Yes he's not some super tactician but he doesn't need to be!!

Capello and Hodgson are apparently these tacticians and they were woeful.
I reckon big Sam will do better than all the rubbish we've had before him and I certainly wouldn't mind him getting the job.

Pardew frequently takes teams on appalling runs of form, he's done it with multiple clubs. Not what you would want in a tournament.

I do think Allardyce would struggle to do as badly as Hodgson managed (in pure result terms) in tournament football given the players available. I don't like him as he's a grandstanding oaf and he has played some truly abysmal football in the past. Plus this Sunderland success story is wildly overblown, Defoe was already at the club, they picked up 36 points from 30 games under Allardyce and finished 17th. That isn't really Houdini stuff to me.

I don't understand the Pardew adulation. The man has spent millions and is a rank average manager playing football by numbers with little to no imagination.

I had a debate following the game against Russia that it wasn't just the result that mattered but the way we had played.
I was reminded that in knockout tournaments it's all about the result which is fair enough and the proof of the pudding was in the winners I suppose.
Given all that, Allardyce is the perfect choice.

The style of football is a complete nonsense argument. Every manager has done that from time to time. Pardew going on shit runs I'll grant, and that's why he's not getting the job.

Big sam has never really failed. All Sunderland fans think he's the messiah, they were done, finished, hopeless, and he turned it round. I will take their opinion on big Sam over other teams fans. Much like we would take our opinions of Glenn Hoddle ahead of the rest of the nation.

If you're taking Sunderland fans' opinion of him as gospel would you not grant the same treatment to the opinion of West Ham fans? Or Newcastle fans?

Whilst Allardyce is not the worst manager around he's just an uninspiring choice

That he is considered the best Englishman available says how little home grown managers have been trusted in our current league system

I think the most damning fact is that 10 years ago the 3 candidates for the job were Allardyce, McClaren and Bruce. 10 years later our options (according to the FA) are the same excluding the one who has had a go. Langers' analogy re May is a good one.

Personally I'm not that devastated by this appointment, can see Alladyce performing better in major competitions than some of his predecessor's.
Pretty sure he'll go into games with a better plan and team ethic and we'll be harder to beat.
Style of play is where he will get his critics if he plays functional football at home to the likes of Slovenia.

If you're taking Sunderland fans' opinion of him as gospel would you not grant the same treatment to the opinion of West Ham fans? Or Newcastle fans?

The Newcastle fans who hounded him out when they were 10th in the PL? Deluded fools. After years of famine i just want to see England actually win games when it matters and I think Big Sam will do that. Might not be pretty but frankly I couldn’t give a toss if for once in a tournament England went out and got over a couple of hurdles.

He started off ok at Newcastle. Things were rapidly going downhill though by the time he got sacked. Hoofing the ball at Owen and Martins, they were on a run of 9 points from 12 games when he went. He also masterminded them to one point from two games against Derby in their 11 point season.

I'm not sure there's that much scope for him being a tournament wizard, his cup record isn't especially good as far as I remember. He is alright at getting average to poor squads picking up enough points to stay up but I'm not sure how that would really be relevant to England?

Thing Mr Towner has hit the nail on the head 2 posts up. PLF is also on the button in that such an appt is uninspiring (to be honest, I can't come up with an inspiring one).

I suppose one thing in his favour, is Sam has managed big players (Okocha, Djorkaeff, Campo etc), so hopefully can manage some of the ego's that exist. Though perhaps that is just optimism.

Thats good for belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back