• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

I'd take Nketiah, even if it's just a loan with no option tbh. I get the 'developing players for others' argument, but if he improves us for half a season and results in us being a better watch and getting more points then I'm all for it, even if it's temporary
For me it's not really about developing someone elses player more that the loan fee and wages would probably be more than any prize money for finishing higher in the table so I don't really see the point. I'd rather look elsewhere and build for next season, which I appreciate is probably putting too much faith in Hobbs and Shi

He’d cost too much for what he is you’d think given his age and nationality.

I don't think they can buy Toney as they already have Raya on loan and you can't have 2 from the same club in the PL.

Yes to Nketiah I think he's a good striker. Can only play through the middle though and not a particularly great header of the ball.
Surely they can buy him but not loan him and I’d be amazed if Brentford loan him unless it was with an obligation and only reason for that would be cash flow/FFP from Arsenal’s side. I guess it could mean Arsenal have to offload players to generate cash to buy him now so maybe Nketiah will be more realistically priced than normal for a January signing.

Surely they can buy him but not loan him and I’d be amazed if Brentford loan him unless it was with an obligation and only reason for that would be cash flow/FFP from Arsenal’s side. I guess it could mean Arsenal have to offload players to generate cash to buy him now so maybe Nketiah will be more realistically priced than normal for a January signing.
Arsenal are at their limit with FFP by all accounts which is why they've loaned Raya.

Arsenal are at their limit with FFP by all accounts which is why they've loaned Raya.
They potentially might be able to cover Raya with sales and buy him now and loan Toney with obligation? A fully firing Toney would certainly boost their title chances so I’m sure they’ll find a way - then Chelsea will gazump them.

They potentially might be able to cover Raya with sales and buy him now and loan Toney with obligation? A fully firing Toney would certainly boost their title chances so I’m sure they’ll find a way - then Chelsea will gazump them.
Well yes, but right now they can't.

Presumably their original budgeting assumed not making it though the CL group so gives them some wiggle room I'd have thought

Big yes to Nketiah from me. I think if you put him up top with Cunha behind & Hwang/Neto either side, that's got the potential to be extremely efficient.

My first instinct was that we'd have no chance of getting him, but we may be able to guarantee him starts more than some other clubs, so you never know.

If they want Toney, wouldn't it just make sense for Arsenal to send Nketiah their way as a sweetener, though?

If they want Toney, wouldn't it just make sense for Arsenal to send Nketiah their way as a sweetener, though?
Brentford work in different ways to others on transfers so may not fit their signing structure

giphy.gif

Nketiah strikes me as benefiting hugely from the quality of Arsenal’s squad overall.

Very easy for me to imagine he gets here, thinks “oh shit, this ain’t gonna work”, and mentally fucks off a la Willian José.

Perhaps Brentford’s approach to transfers will identify Kilman as a must-have signing to pair with Collins. Just need them to sell Toney and come knocking.

Nketiah might fancy a move in January (not necessarily to us) to get game time ahead of Euros tbf

Back