• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Isn't Fabio getting 0 minutes sort of the point?
He's not someone we need to directly replace because he's already contributing nothing.

If we manage to get rid of Jonny then it doesn't mean we need to sign another LB.

Isn't Fabio getting 0 minutes sort of the point?

He was getting minutes, was shit, stopped getting minutes. Shows O'Neil wants a player like that in certain situations. Just not a shit one.

He's not someone we need to directly replace because he's already contributing nothing.

If we manage to get rid of Jonny then it doesn't mean we need to sign another LB.
It does if it means Doc is still the back up...

It does if it means Doc is still the back up...
That's a separate point, Doherty has no business being on the books of any Premier League club (bar an Irish or Welsh one) in 2024.

He's not contributing nothing because O'Neil doesn't fancy that kind of striker though. He's contributing nothing because he's incapable of contributing anything of note at this level. If we replace him with a competent replacement I'm sure they'd see significant game time.

He's not contributing nothing because O'Neil doesn't fancy that kind of striker though. He's contributing nothing because he's incapable of contributing anything of note at this level. If we replace him with a competent replacement I'm sure they'd see significant game time.
Sure, I'm not saying I wouldn't want one, I'm saying I don't think we'll get one and the viable options now aren't likely to be players I'd want.

Just if Fabio goes out on loan (I'd sell him if we can, wishful thinking I know) it doesn't mean there's now a gap somewhere. He already pretty much isn't a consideration. If we can't palm him off then the argument for us signing one is exactly the same.

Whether Sasa or Silva stay or go on loan is irrelevant really. We need a forward because they're not trusted with meaningful game time, and we need more options. If we went into next season with Cunha off the left, Neto the other side and a proper striker then we'd be a much more dangerous proposition.

Are we all writing Sasa off too soon?
I wouldn't but. But:

a) O'Neil has thus far shown little sign of knowing how to use him (he isn't Niall Quinn so hammering the ball 8 foot in the air won't work, and it's pointless asking him to copy Cunha or Hwang)

b) He's getting vanishingly little game time, which at this stage can't be a question of fitness

Sure, I'm not saying I wouldn't want one, I'm saying I don't think we'll get one and the viable options now aren't likely to be players I'd want.

Just if Fabio goes out on loan (I'd sell him if we can, wishful thinking I know) it doesn't mean there's now a gap somewhere. He already pretty much isn't a consideration. If we can't palm him off then the argument for us signing one is exactly the same.

The fact he's not a consideration is a huge issue for us though. He is the gap.

Football has changed massively since 5 subs + 9 on the bench, we can't afford to be in a position where we can't make substitutions because we don't trust the options on the bench. We need to be making more subs and making them earlier, now some of that is on O'Neil but equally we need to be providing him with legitimate options to affect games in different ways. Fábio is in no way a legitimate option at Premier League level.

I'd imagine because of the ridiculous situation we've put ourselves in that we won't be sorting that position out until the summer but it definitely does need sorting.

My mate thinks Sasa is absolutely dreadful. I feel there might be something there but he’s not getting a look in and doesn’t really fit the style. Although he can’t really run and he’s not a target man

GON only seems to see him as nuisance value at the end of the game rather than being part of the gameplan so that’s not really sustainable.

Whether Sasa or Silva stay or go on loan is irrelevant really. We need a forward because they're not trusted with meaningful game time, and we need more options. If we went into next season with Cunha off the left, Neto the other side and a proper striker then we'd be a much more dangerous proposition.

I’d take Danny Ings off West Ham all day long.

Probably not popular on here but would definitely get goals in our team.

I’d take Danny Ings off West Ham all day long.

Probably not popular on here but would definitely get goals in our team.
I'm not sure he would, we just don't cater for that kind of player at all in the current style.

Sasa may want a loan to get minutes in preparation for the euros in summer?

Sasa may want a loan to get minutes in preparation for the euros in summer?

I can't see why we'd do that. If someone offered us most of our money back we might sell him.

I’ve seen a couple of Sasa ‘moments’ in amongst a lot of dirge. If he is the answer we’re certainly not asking the right question and if we got half or more of our money back I’d move him on as quickly as Fabio.
Neither are going to contribute much this season and beyond so if there’s any feasible alternative in January I’d take it.

Fabio had many wanting him to come good before finally admitting defeat and it feels the same with Sasa but for different reasons. I’m really struggling to say or see anything positive about him currently. He just looks as poorly scouted as Maierhofer was about 15 years ago.

Sasa’s lack of pace means we have to play complete differently to accommodate him rather than bringing on a similar but fresher player. I would be quite happy if after January I never saw him or Silva in a Wolves shirt again.

Two things there though:

1) He's an absolutely miles better footballer than Maierhofer could ever dream of being

2) He was signed by not even our last manager, it was the one before that (and I dread to think how he'd have used him). If he doesn't fit into what O'Neil wants then that's just how events have run, he isn't going to go all Hoddle/Ganea/Frankowski and rule out one player because he doesn't suit how we play and then sign a worse version of the same thing

Back