• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what would be hilarious (and would please Johnny no end) is if they do sell Nunes, then O'Neil turns round and says you've lied to me, I resign. With the Frank Spencer-esque wankers running the club it would be just about the perfect punchline.

I’ve got zero problems with this transfer as long as the money goes straight into investments and I mean proper investment

People are being naive if they think when City are agreeing terms with Mendes that a 'what's it going to cost' conversation hasn't happened and he doesn't know the answer. It's when not if, the 'negotiation' is performative, just depends what our number is

Of all the events this summer, that one pisses me off the most and by a distance.

Very sad to let bona fide modern legends like Moutinho and Raul (and maybe Jonny) go but I know it's time.

I'd prepared myself for Neves going years before and it still hurt.

In some ways a missed opportunity with Lopetegui but he really is a bit of a wanker, so I don't need him in my life.

Whatever Matheus does at City (if he goes), it wouldn't happen here.

Alex Scott, good player no doubt, not much end product, expensive and injured. You can easily make the case for backing away.

BUT HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU TURNING DOWN £30M FOR MAX BLOODY KILMAN. It's off the scale for nonsense.

It isn't just the turning the money down, its the then financial commitment of the 5 year extension. He's almost certainly had a payrise.

Everybody has a price except Futsal Max.

None of it makes sense.

You can't keep your staff under lock and key barred from talking to anyone though can you? Imagine if Tesco and Sainsbury did have to agree to transfer staff, do you think they'd talk amicably store manager to store manager in a competitive market to agree which staff they would move or would they try to poach the best staff from one another behind each other's backs?

It's not like players won't become unsettled if clubs have to talk exclusively to one another before they can engage the player. As soon as an attractive club started enquiring about them they'd make their feelings known and put pressure on their current employer. The current way just keeps that part largely out of the public eye.
You said its like ordinary life, it's NOT like ordinary life, a transfer fee HAS to be agreed for a player to move.

It's not comparable no matter how many words you type.

I'm not going to miss Nunes, he feels like one of those players who years after he leaves people will still be debating what his 'right position' even was for us. He will not be a superstar at Wolves.

But to sell him for quite a low profit and know very little of that money is going back into the squad is just another underwhelming moment in a catalogue of underwhelming moments this summer. Lopetegui to O'Neil, Nunes to Brownhill - it all just reeks of Championship football.

You said its like ordinary life, it's NOT like ordinary life, a transfer fee HAS to be agreed for a player to move.

It's not comparable no matter how many words you type.
In terms of staff going behind employers backs it's the same. The rules might be different but people breaking them isn't exclusive to the football industry.

Not hugely, but a little surprised at just how negative a reaction this is garnering.

We're selling a player who did very little last season at a profit. Like with Collins (to a much lesser extent, granted), I'm not quite sure how we've managed to convince someone that Nunes' value has gone up since we bought him.

You know what would be hilarious (and would please Johnny no end) is if they do sell Nunes, then O'Neil turns round and says you've lied to me, I resign.

This is just weird. Like they really had to give the mighty GON conditions and promises to secure his signature 😅

In terms of staff going behind employers backs it's the same. The rules might be different but people breaking them isn't exclusive to the football industry.
I've broken non-compete clauses at least three times. 1) As I know there's no way they can enforce it, even if they were bothered to find out which they almost certainly weren't and 2) If I didn't, I'd have to eat out of a bin for months

Nunes can occasionally be frustrating, but his ability to turn away in tight spaces and go past players with ease is something that we haven't had for ages until Cunha and him arrived.

I'd argue he's been our best player along with Cunha from pre-season to the first two games so far.

Not hugely, but a little surprised at just how negative a reaction this is garnering.

We're selling a player who did very little last season at a profit. Like with Collins (to a much lesser extent, granted), I'm not quite sure how we've managed to convince someone that Nunes' value has gone up since we bought him.

The negativity is down to weakening the squad and the fact this money won’t get reinvested. Midfield is one of the few areas where we’re strong compared to our competitors

The negativity is down to weakening the squad and the fact this money won’t get reinvested. Midfield is one of the few areas where we’re strong compared to our competitors
Yeah, patterns of behavior and all that.

I definitely understand the lack of trust in the money being used, er, usefully.

I’d be dissapointed because he is a player who can get you off your seat. But then on the flip side he hasn’t justified turning down a £60m bid and can be a petulant twat.

So in isolation the sale is fine. But the wider issue is that it’s late in the window, we have no players and fuck knows what we’d actually do with the money. .

Plus you can’t criticise the fee. Fosun haven’t learnt that if you sign people for £45m, then you don’t really get much of a margin on a sale. Certainly not if they don’t actually set the world alight. But that would be pretending that it’s an actual strategy, it’s not. It’s just Mendes moving his pieces around and we just let him do whatever the fuck he wants.

I've no great love for Nunes, but I'd rather not see the squad become even lighter, and you're out of your mind if you think that money's getting reinvested in the team.

Yeah, patterns of behavior and all that.

I definitely understand the lack of trust in the money being used, er, usefully.

It’s not that it won’t be used usefully, it won’t be used at all.

Naive old us in 2017 were saying Mendes isn’t part of the the club, were just using his connections. Look how good this is!

Well we’re all a bit silly, he’s had more power than Thelwell, Sellars, Hobbs, whoever since the very start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back