• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, we stuck with the same formation until Coady got Covid before the Southampton game.

He wanted someone better on the ball than Doherty and better defensively, he is definitely one and probably both of those things, but not £27m worth of better.
I just remember some talk from somewhere around the club about wanting to move to the 4 at the back to improve our attacking output.

We gave Coady a five year deal around the same time so I doubt it.

Nuno saw the Sevilla game as a turning point. So many times in that game we passed it to Doherty and it went nowhere as he can't carry the ball, and we were getting to the point where we couldn't fiddle the whole team around him and his bespoke role.

I just remember some talk from somewhere around the club about wanting to move to the 4 at the back to improve our attacking output.
Is it just me or is this a false equivalence?

Not meant as having a go at you, Ken.

Lage wanted to go 4 at the back. We did it in pre-season and looked like a shit League One team, so we went back to what we knew.

People have since conflated this to "he changed after we lost the first three games despite playing well*" which he absolutely did not. Even Part Time Steve said this a few weeks back, it's bollocks.

*Not that fucking well

There's been a few teams over the years about whose transfer dealings people have waxed lyrical -Swansea springs to mind in particular. But buying cheap, then flipping for big bucks, and doing it again and again is really hard to sustain. I feel there's (sadly) a natural limit to what should be the ambitions of clubs outside of 2 or 3 major metropolitan centres, and whilst Brighton and Brentford are on the crest of a wave right now it'll be surprising it they can really keep it going. Having 'ambitions above their station' has definitely broken a few clubs over the last couple of decades and I hope we're not one of them.

Southampton were doing similar (well they became a feeder club for Liverpool)

If we did loads of £5m signings, sold them for £70m and replaced them with £5m signings the bed sheets would be out with "WHERES THE MONEY GONE" the moment we had 4 dodgy results

Fab has tweeted to say Tosin Adarabioyo is set to leave Fulham this window. They want to keep him but the player wants to leave and they run the risk of letting him go on a free next year. Always liked the look of him and would pick him over Collins/Kilman every day of the week.

Next step up for him would be to go to a European club, I assume.

Brighton has struck gold so far with how they do business and yes are now in the Europa league for the first time ever,fair play to them.Good scouting but also a fair bit of luck also to make such a huge profit on their guys.

Can't see it lasting forever.

Failing that, Phil Jones is available on a free ;)
Doherty and Jones together, imagine that channel of doom every game.

I would keep an eye on Fulham next season. Leno had a bit of a Sa 2021/22 overperformance. Their metrics have them in all kinds of trouble.

Failing that, Phil Jones is available on a free ;)
There's some good players available on a few (not Jones).

Stefan De Vrij, Reiss Nelson, Guedlj and Marcus Thuram.

Not that we have a chance of all of them but if you wanted to spend no money but give a free transfer a bit more cash it could be done.

Thuram is the headline freebie of the summer, he's CL bound.

I've always liked de Vrij, Nelson isn't for me.

Maitland-Niles will get a PL gig somewhere.

Think West Ham have released Lanzini too.

Yeah they’re my pick for a team to be in a ‘surprise’ relegation battle. Willian and Leno did a lot of heavy lifting for them
Tete got their player of the season too I think and he's being linked away

Last edited:
I think Soliman is on loan and he looks useful.
Silva seemed to mention he wasn't staying a couple of weeks back. I think FIFA have ruled anyone with a Ukrainian club can walk on the basis you can't make people work in a literal war zone.

I'd say you could make a case for that being roughly Semedo's value at the time, he was Barcelona's first choice RB and mid 20s. Of course he wasn't a particularly good fit for how we played and his complete lack of attacking output is plain odd. A badly thought out signing rather than a rip off.

Guedes always looked shit, he's had a proper con job of a career.
Having watched Semedo for the last 3 season where he has been awful for a third, OK for a third and between decent and very good for a third, I’m not sure there’s any other club in the league who would have paid more than £15-20m for him even at his peak. Run of the mill FBs don’t go for big money anyway as it doesn’t transform the team In the slightest, probably the least important position if they aren’t offering anything at the other end. Toti Gomes isnt currently doing demonstrably worse.

I don’t know how close we’ve got to the £37m but £27m is still nowhere near “value” IMO. Not good enough for the Sky 6 and no one else pays that cash.

Pretty high on this list, twice!

Having watched Semedo for the last 3 season where he has been awful for a third, OK for a third and between decent and very good for a third, I’m not sure there’s any other club in the league who would have paid more than £15-20m for him even at his peak. Run of the mill FBs don’t go for big money anyway as it doesn’t transform the team In the slightest, probably the least important position if they aren’t offering anything at the other end. Toti Gomes isnt currently doing demonstrably worse.

I don’t know how close we’ve got to the £37m but £27m is still nowhere near “value” IMO. Not good enough for the Sky 6 and no one else pays that cash.

Pretty high on this list, twice!

No, it's a bad transfer and we've had to make the best of it.

Just on day one it wasn't obviously weird or stupid, like Fabio or Guedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back