• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CM doesn't press because the forwards can't, it's by design.
Sure, I expect the CM to play a role in pressing high, but when Neves is the highest engaging player and it isn't particularly well joined up as a unit, any decent outfit will play around you and have an immediate overload centrally. It happened quite a few times on Saturday, but thankfully McGinn is shite.

The thing is though, what does a benched Costa with minimal game time look like?

We know his finishing is shot but it's only through playing regularly and getting solid minutes that his other attributes have come to the fore of late

I mentioned Sasa’s injury record when he first broke and was shot down.

I wouldn’t be comfortable going in to next season with him as first choice, but I’m intrigued by what he can offer.

We’ve signed him knowing his injury record. It was always a risk. Lage knew this but still threw him in, despite rumours that Sasa told him he knew he wasn’t 100% fit. We’ve then had to live with the consequences of that.

There’s absolutely no way we sell him now, having featured for 45 minutes and with his value decreased.

The thing is though, what does a benched Costa with minimal game time look like?

We know his finishing is shot but it's only through playing regularly and getting solid minutes that his other attributes have come to the fore of late
I mean, the fact he’s had 3/4 months of solid training rather than chilling in Brazil has also helped. But I get what you mean.

That could be said for most players though. Neto being an example also.

I think we’re in danger of over complicating the situation

We’ve signed him knowing his injury record. It was always a risk. Lage knew this but still threw him in, despite rumours that Sasa told him he knew he wasn’t 100% fit. We’ve then had to live with the consequences of that.
Without adding to the that was a bollocks rumour...

The bigger consequence was our medical team sending him back on and he played a further 25 mins or so with an injury and also told the manager "it's nothing serious".
Did that extra 25 mins add months to his recovery.

Last edited:
Regarding Costa, I don't suppose it's valid or even quantifiable aspect of his play, but I've read on here frequently how, using his skill and expensively garnered experience he manages to pull defenders all over the place constantly, he holds the ball up well so players can run into better positions, he fucks about at corners and does more than his fair share of grabbing bollocks, pushing and shoving and just being a big and fairly powerful nuisance and generally plays a role running channels and occupying defenders.
Sure I know he's only bundled 1 goal in, but the stuff I mentioned above, I don't see a little waif and stray like Podence causing that much distraction... For 50k, and the effect he has around the place, is that not worth a punt?
I'll not be grieving if he goes, but I'd rather see Adama go before him.

Do we think we may have possibly Inc a clause where gets an extra year if he played x amount of games or stayed up?

This was the last deal done under the Shi/Sellars dream team set up so anything is possible

Been a huge fan of Costa, he has become a real cult hero in a short space of time. I want us to be upgrading right across that front though, as harsh as it may seem I am at the point I'd want an improvement on Cuniha, let alone Costa.

Probably better than what we've got, but he's 30 and barely played any meaningful football in the last two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back