• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is going to pay close to what the club would want for Silva. They only let him out on loan this season if he signed a contract extension, I imagine the same will apply again, will be interesting to see what he will do if the ball is in his court on that.

I like Costa, but I'd rather have a promising young striker from League One as my third choice striker for next year. Lots of the discussion so far has focused on us not getting any striker in (Sasa/Fabio as the two options) which just can't be the end result after the next transfer window.

I like Costa, but I'd rather have a promising young striker from League One as my third choice striker for next year. Lots of the discussion so far has focused on us not getting any striker in (Sasa/Fabio as the two options) which just can't be the end result after the next transfer window.
The problem there is that a promising young striker needs to be playing and would be better out on loan.

It's a different situation to the one three years ago - backing up one the best front men in Europe in a team that plays one up top isn't as attractive a prospect as grouping with Sasa, Cunha and maybe Silva in a 442. I'd expect any half decent forward to look at that and fancy themselves to fairly quickly become a fixture.

Well we need a third forward. Sasa isn’t English qualified, Fabio either doesn’t want to be here or won’t be here. If we keep Fabio he isn’t going to accept being 3rd choice (would also damage the investment further). So if the third striker isn’t English qualified they dont free up the international slot and aren’t cheaper.
I can only think you've not grasped the issue

We should not be signing a 3rd choice striker, we should be signing a first choice striker. That player is unlikely to be English.

By signing Costa you can't do that.

Silva won't count and Sasa will be included in the squad.

We only signed Costa because he was a free agent outside of the transfer window. If we can’t find better this summer id be disappointed. He’s doing ok considering how little he’d played before joining us but I don’t see value in keeping him beyond the summer.

If a striker is a target, which it appears to be, be surprised if we retain him.

I can only think you've not grasped the issue

We should not be signing a 3rd choice striker, we should be signing a first choice striker. That player is unlikely to be English.

By signing Costa you can't do that.

Silva won't count and Sasa will be included in the squad.
So then who plays 3rd fiddle behind the new guy and Sasa? It certainly won’t be Fabio.

How can you not love the guy, his attitude is absolutely spot on. Works his bollocks off and obviously, visibly loves giving his all. It’s like he was designed to play in front of a Molineux audience.

Would very much like someone who can actually score though. Please?

Sign a striker to compete with Sasa, with Costa as third backup next season, then have that Fraser kid take his place season after. Straightforward.

Before we had Costa (and Cunha) start we had no shape, no forward play and relying on Hwang or Podence fluking goals. He's the best of the attackers we've had this season in Lop's system.

This best we've had is such a spurious argument. If David McGoldrick had played up front for us this season he'd have been our best striker. That's not posted with an ounce of hyperbole because it's true. I wouldn't give him a contract next year either

Last edited:
It's true though Punts, Costa wouldn't scored 22 goals in League One or any professional league for that matter. The cult around him is just bizarre. Acknowledge his effort, accept he's way short of what's needed and move on
He might not score 22 (same as peak Emile Heskey wouldn’t) but then McGoldrick wouldn’t come in to a PL team and offer more than Costa has. If you honestly believe he would then I don’t know what to say. Maybe we should have just signed him for 100k in Jan and 5k a week. Obviously we didn’t as it’s total nonsense.

I’m not asking him to start, I’m asking him to stick around as the cheap 3rd option who will give you 6/10, 5 at a minimum. Fabio won’t do that role and as a club we can’t allow it, don’t think he’d be better either FWIW. We could spend £15m+ on Gyokeres who is an absolute flop. We could spend £45m on someone top notch but then who is behind him with Sasa (discounting Fabio), you have to buy someone.

I’m not a fan of “well name Someone we should sign” as we’re not international scouts. But who we signing to do the same job or better. Would Wout Weghorst be better? Debateable. Would he be more expensive? Absolutely.

Chris Wood, Broja, DCL, Onuachu, Antonio, Vinicius, Mateta. These players are either garbage or way to expensive for what your getting.

He might not score 22 (same as peak Emile Heskey wouldn’t) but then McGoldrick wouldn’t come in to a PL team and offer more than Costa has. If you honestly believe he would then I don’t know what to say. Maybe we should have just signed him for 100k in Jan and 5k a week. Obviously we didn’t as it’s total nonsense.
That's not what I said.
I’m not asking him to start, I’m asking him to stick around as the cheap 3rd option who will give you 6/10, 5 at a minimum. Fabio won’t do that role and as a club we can’t allow it, don’t think he’d be better either FWIW. We could spend £15m+ on Gyokeres who is an absolute flop. We could spend £45m on someone top notch but then who is behind him with Sasa (discounting Fabio), you have to buy someone.

I’m not a fan of “well name Someone we should sign” as we’re not international scouts. But who we signing to do the same job or better. Would Wout Weghorst be better? Debateable. Would he be more expensive? Absolutely.

Chris Wood, Broja, DCL, Onuachu, Antonio, Vinicius, Mateta. These players are either garbage or way to expensive for what your getting.
Why do we need a 3rd out and out option, if we are playing with 1 up front and 1 in behind? A new centre forward plus Sasa is already one more option than we went years with. If the answer is because Sasa is an injury risk then the issue lies with him and he'd need replacing not backing up.

Away from Costa for a minute, I’d be going all out to try and sign Reiss Nelson, as he’s apparently rejected a new contract offer at Arsenal and will leave for free at the end of the season.

Automatically fills the Adama spot, is young, massive potential, another homegrown player - but I’ve really liked him every time I’ve seen him.

Would imagine there would be a lot of competition for his signature and he may end up going to another team with European football, but Lop & co could sell him the vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back