• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily what I'd do, but it ain't my money and the rest of the squad clearly love the guy.
I'm a bit ambivalent about him staying - is he'd scored a few more then it'd be different.

Might be good to have him in the dressing room I guess

Personally, I'd shake his hand and thank him for everything. He's come in humble, worked hard and tried when plenty of others would've come in with an ego and half the effort. Sadly his body hasn't been able to keep up after the 30-45 minutes mark. He demonstrably isnt coming on to win us a game with 20 minutes left or to rescue a point, so the reasons to keep him are already dwindling.

Him staying and him being expected to play next season are different things, IMO.

Staying next season? No problem with that. If we need him to play next season? We done fucked up.

The £100k a week and international slot.
1) is he on that much?
2) genuinely, how much of a negative impact is his weekly wage even if he never plays?

Is he the new Coady in the dressing room?

Such a waste of time, space and money. Being a good bloke around the dressing room isn't enough of you can't really play football anymore.
But then you have to sign someone else, spend money on them, and pay them his wages or more (he isn’t on 100k/week FFS), to then find out they are probably no better.

“Can’t play football anymore” is a bizarre statement when he’s been pretty integral to our recent success.

I call bollocks on the first bit and which English forward are we signing to fill that role instead?
Ah right we must be paying him in magic beans then.

Signing an English forward isn't the issue it's the fact he takes a coveted international slot when we could get better and fill that slot, particularly as we will be at the limit.

He's on 50k a week, he can't play any more to a competent PL level. He tries, he's benefitting from being our best option up front, but Blackadder would make an analogy involving a slug and a limbo pole about that. He should only be in Wolverhampton next year if he fancies seeing someone at the Civic. He's a centre forward who can't run, can't score but tries hard. I have the utmost respect for the latter and how he's not been a prima donna, but he has to go

Last edited:
But then you have to sign someone else, spend money on them, and pay them his wages or more (he isn’t on 100k/week FFS), to then find out they are probably no better.

“Can’t play football anymore” is a bizarre statement when he’s been pretty integral to our recent success.

It'll be pretty easy to find better. The fact he's been important to us doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't get a start for any other team in league. He'd probably only get on the bench for about 4, even if he was on minimum wage. He's been better than Raul (who should retire) and Hwang, who's one of the worst technicians I've seen in the Premier League. I like the bloke, and we were desperate and he's arguably been worth it all in all, but I'd still take some convincing on that tbh, never mind signing him up again for next year when we're not restricted to like 3 footballers that just happened to be free when we signed him

It'll be pretty easy to find better. The fact he's been important to us doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't get a start for any other team in league. He'd probably only get on the bench for about 4, even if he was on minimum wage. He's been better than Raul (who should retire) and Hwang, who's one of the worst technicians I've seen in the Premier League. I like the bloke, and we were desperate and he's arguably been worth it all in all, but I'd still take some convincing on that tbh, never mind signing him up again for next year when we're not restricted to like 3 footballers that just happened to be free when we signed him
That’s harsh. Limited as he is, he has been a key part of recent victories. It’s a team game and he was been an important member of the team. Nobody else we have can hold the ball up like he has and without that we wouldn’t have functioned anywhere near as effectively.

We're likely to buy another striker for Lop. Whoever that is will be first choice and Sasa will be eased back in as 2nd choice. We'll have a 3rd striker option for emergencies. Diego will be that emergency option if that's what the club have decided. Silva will go out on loan again unless we fail to buy someone.

If Costa stays he'll get the occasional 5-10 mins at the end of games and maybe a cup start. He'll be kept for his attitude and impact around the squad as a reward for helping keep us up, which I have no issue with personally. If he takes up a foreign slot in the squad I'm sure the club have calculated what they will be buying, selling etc to make sure they are ok with that.

He's scored one goal which he tackled in. Never looks like scoring.

We can't carry that.
And cunha has scored 2? Having him as the third striker isn’t “carrying him”.
Ah right we must be paying him in magic beans then.
Yep magic beans or 100k. No quantities exist in between. There was similar bullshit that we were paying Fabio £60k+, we aren’t. We are not paying an unattached forward who hadn’t played in a year and previously was playing for magic beans in Brazil 100k and making him one of the highest earners.
Signing an English forward isn't the issue it's the fact he takes a coveted international slot when we could get better and fill that slot, particularly as we will be at the limit.
Well we need a third forward. Sasa isn’t English qualified, Fabio either doesn’t want to be here or won’t be here. If we keep Fabio he isn’t going to accept being 3rd choice (would also damage the investment further). So if the third striker isn’t English qualified they dont free up the international slot and aren’t cheaper.
That is all fair enough, but I don’t think you get a third forward who fits the bill easily. We were saying 3 years ago it was “impossible” to get a second forward to cover Raul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back