• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

image.jpgVisited the Nou Camp today just so as I know my way there in two or three years ;)

Last edited:
My first lettuce seedling poked through yesterday, getting excited now :)

Wow! You're early!
I haven't planted anything yet. Been having a think about what I want to grow. One panel of the greenhouse got damaged by doris too, & needs repairing before I do anything.

I still have leeks in the ground I planted last year, and pots of thyme growing steadily.

I'm planning a 'crop rotation in the 14th century' model, rather than my usual everything crops at the same time, bloody courgettes everywhere last year :)

I'm planning a 'crop rotation in the 14th century' model, rather than my usual everything crops at the same time, bloody courgettes everywhere last year :)
:icon_lol:
Courgettes do go mad. I'm not growing any this year.
At the weekend I might start thinking about what to plant. Aside from tomatoes, no decisions made yet.

John Lloyd was the man back in 1492.

14th Century wasn't it? Get it right Rick.

Ah yes. It was 1172 which was Rick's guess.

I'm glad you all understood the reference :)

:
At the weekend I might start thinking about what to plant. Aside from tomatoes, no decisions made yet.

Do you need any seeds? I've got a fair few left as I'm cutting back this year !

We plant the seed. Nature grows the seed. We eat the seed.

Not thinking about what to plant yet as going for a complete remodeling of the garden to cut down the amount of physical work needed (particularly digging as my knees will not take it any more)

Going to have the three very large veg beds removed & two (smaller) raised beds installed so that I don't need to get on my knees to deal with them or involve hours of work to maintain.

Will still give me enough growing space to provide for myself

Glorious day weather wise. Perfect excuse to be out in the garden.

Planted a lot of things to eat today. A few choices shaped by the slow cooker.
Lettuce, leeks, parsnip, black cherry tomatoes, other tomatoes, thyme, basil, lemon cucumber, cucamelon, normal cucumber, french beans, pepper, and lots of beetroot.

Tomorrow will plant a load of flowers for tubs/baskets - marigolds, river daisies and chocolate mint. Will also be planting some sunflowers, and throwing some poppy seeds about.

Worked like stink in the garden today. Not grow your own. Just been cutting fuckloads of big plants down ready for me to plant huge beds of perennials.

The last three years have been garden project after project. Now finally the deck in is in 4 trees have been felled and logged the raised decking is built and the hedges all trimmed ready for spring. If she suggests on more thing I swear.....

My garden remodeling starts on Wednesday - will still give me more than adequate growing space, but less digging as raised veg beds, which will help my knees which have very little cartilage left

Costing a fair bit, though as a result I'm not having to do the work to get it back into order - need to get hold of a small greenhouse though without spending too much more

We had our fence replaced on one side and a lot of big shrubs had to go. Yesterday I cleared the other side of the fence by the front garden which had a massively out of control ivy (I hate ivy) and forsythia. Now I have a bed 6 metres by about 2 metres to fill, which goes from full sun to full shade across the length as well as a 2.5 metre x 1.75 metre front bed in full sun to fill.

The RHS Website is a god send when researching perennials. I am feeling chrysanthemums and delphiniums, along with some nice dahlias to get a massive splash of colour I hope. I have never done a complete planting plan like this before. Normally I shove things in completely randomly, but this has a design element to it that I am quite excited about.

I have a massive rhododendron bush half way down the garden, it is absolutely glorious when in bloom but it is older than Gods dog.

Mowed both the front and back lawns yesterday, first time this year, came across several ant mounds, some were empty and some were occupied. Took nearly 2 hours to mow. However thankfully it is done and manageable now.
So I recently brought a small pool liner and will probably put this out front with a nice rockery and ideas for hardy rockery type flowers?
Will be borrowing the in-laws rotavator to churn up some soil so I can grow some spuds and tomatoes later in the week.

Mrs HW has ordered tomatoes this year.
We have no greenhouse - are those hanging up plastic thingys all right?

(We don't have that much room)

Back