• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

You could put bags over them like they do with bananas in st lucia maybe?

Mrs HW has ordered tomatoes this year.
We have no greenhouse - are those hanging up plastic thingys all right?

(We don't have that much room)
I started with something like this:
imgres

but after a year went for one of these for more growing room:
imgres

We had our fence replaced on one side and a lot of big shrubs had to go. Yesterday I cleared the other side of the fence by the front garden which had a massively out of control ivy (I hate ivy) and forsythia. Now I have a bed 6 metres by about 2 metres to fill, which goes from full sun to full shade across the length as well as a 2.5 metre x 1.75 metre front bed in full sun to fill.

The RHS Website is a god send when researching perennials. I am feeling chrysanthemums and delphiniums, along with some nice dahlias to get a massive splash of colour I hope. I have never done a complete planting plan like this before. Normally I shove things in completely randomly, but this has a design element to it that I am quite excited about.

I've never quite got the flowers/colour thing, but am having a go at some pots this year. Planted some swan river daisies, marigolds, sunflowers, and chocolate mint seeds today to follow on from yesterdays food planting.
Have diaried the next sowing period, by which time I'll hopefully be planting some stuff out.

Garden remodeling completed (& yes I cheated & paid for the heavy work to be done)

A bit stark at the moment as replanting needs to be done & the new raised veg beds are ready to be filled.

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Looking good PLF!
Decided what you're planting yet?
The recent pleasant weather has encouraged growth in my greenhouse. Will have a water in there tomorrow, and have a look at what is doing well.

Looking good PLF!
Decided what you're planting yet?
The recent pleasant weather has encouraged growth in my greenhouse. Will have a water in there tomorrow, and have a look at what is doing well.

Not decided what I want to put in yet, but then again the landscapers only finished today - will spend the next few days trolling round various garden centres I suspect to get ideas.

There's no rush

Looking good PLF! I finished my 2 years project of fencing, decking. installing a hot tub, installing a raised stage/decking area and last night was the first real evening this year where me and Mrs Cyber could enjoy a fantastic moon rising. Here are the snaps

IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg

The raised stage/ decking is great for an evening of tranquil navel gazing! A few drinks and off to the tub tp round off the evening. I recommend it!

Looking good PLF! I finished my 2 years project of fencing, decking. installing a hot tub, installing a raised stage/decking area and last night was the first real evening this year where me and Mrs Cyber could enjoy a fantastic moon rising. Here are the snaps

View attachment 1678
View attachment 1679
View attachment 1680
View attachment 1681
View attachment 1682

The raised stage/ decking is great for an evening of tranquil navel gazing! A few drinks and off to the tub tp round off the evening. I recommend it!

Better view from the back of your garden than mine!!

So I couldn't go to the game today because I told the wife I'd help out with this...
20170414_124615.jpg
20170414_130607.jpg
20170414_130619.jpg
20170414_194731.jpg

Started buying to replant - dropped £100+ at a garden centre today (though a chunk of that was on a bird bath) & plants in. Will need to be careful as to how much I put in as the ones I bought today will get bigger.

Not much into the veg beds yet, though did get 2 raspberry canes.

You got off lightly. My good lady turned the whole lounge over to yours truly and insisted I sat and watched every minute of the drivel served up. Sadistic bitch!

Oh I didn't...I had to watch the game too!

Now need to go and spend 40 mins watering the new turf in - why is it when you could do with rain, nothing happens & when you want to go out & enjoy yourself it pisses down for days on end!!

Watch your new plants, kids. It's supposed to be dropping to between 1 and 2 degrees Monday and Tuesday overnight.

Crop of 'second early' potatoes in today - harvest from July on hopefully.

LJ would be happy to have your experience in bringing stuff on from seed - need to get hold of a greenhouse, but finding it harder to find established stuff locally ready to plant up immediately so may well have to bring my own on from the start.

Watch your new plants, kids. It's supposed to be dropping to between 1 and 2 degrees Monday and Tuesday overnight.

Not down here - min that it is predicting is 5 degrees which should be OK for what I have put in so far.

Back