• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

Oooo...Lets have a pathway

Garden4.jpg

Garden5.jpg

Garden6.jpg

Lets put some flowers in...

Garden7.jpg

Garden8.jpg

Garden9.jpg

Garden10.jpg

Oooo...Lets just landscape the lot and put some walkways in...

Garden13.jpg

Garden14.jpg

Garden15.jpg

I fookin hate gardening...I don't mind planting some potatoes in a bag and lifting them when they're ready but THIS?! :yikes: :icon_lol:

It is strangely satisfying but bloody hard work as we discovered that as this was the last plot when the estate was built, it was basically used as the dump by the lazy fucking builders...I'll put a picture up of some of the bricks, rocks, stones and ballast we've removed later

:icon_lol:
I remember the first pics Mike, that you took whilst your wife appeared to be toiling away!

I'd been meaning to bump this thread for ages & kept forgetting.
I agree that it can be hard work. Usually any big job/digging will be. However after that, keep on top of it and it is not too strenuous, will save having to do big jobs again, and as you say, there's a hell of a lot of satisfaction from a job well done.

My sunflowers are all coming out to bloom. I'll take some pics later and pop em on here.

I had a grand plan to grow an apple tree, or several, from seed a few months back.

All started so well, all 6 seeds sprouted as they were kept in the fridge between some damp kitchen towel but they've not held up well since I put them into pots last Sunday, down to 2 from 6 already! Not really sure of the cause but they all seem to have just given up in similar fashion, two smallest went almost instantly with another not long after and number 4 all but dead now. The two remaining looked the strongest from the off though, hopefully they hold on.

I've killed a hippy and now I'm going to pay!!

Threatened to do this for a bit so here's the greenhouse with tomato plants in:
SAM_1172.jpg

They're almost a foot taller than when this was taken. I've pruned a load of branches and there's more flowers, and a fair few fruits. I'll take a pick and update soonish.

the sunflowers, and in the foreground atomic red carrots along with a few leeks and a small amout of beetroot that sprouted. sprouts are at the back under nets (though have been caterpillared!) and up the trellis are cucumbers
SAM_1178.jpg

for mark, the apple tree:
View attachment 1419

Mine are a considerable distance away from that! I'll grab a picture in the morning if I remember, think they possibly could've done with being planted a bit deeper than they are but now they seem to be doing alright I'm not sure it's worth bothering replanting them until they need putting in bigger pots.

The problem from growing an apple tree is that the apples you eat aren't from the tree that's in the ground. As far as I'm aware all apple trees are grafts with a tough disease resistant tree selected for the base then a nice tasting apple tree selected for the graft.

You can still get good eating apples grown from seed, it's not that long ago that all apples would've still come from trees grown from seed with grafting being a relatively modern technique to ensure greater consistently and yield in commercial crops. The seeds were taken from a store bought apple that was going manky, can't remember the variety, but that should give it a decent head start to being a decent eating variety, then it's just the lottery of pollination to see how they actually end up, worst comes to the worst and it's at least a bit of food for the local wildlife.

Gotta be honest, the apple tree pre-dates me getting the house. The neighbours had 2 corking apple trees, but chopped them down this summer.

I haven't taken pics of the raspberry plants someone gave me (thinking they were blackcurrants) which have produced a mini crop that is in the freezer. I purchased a blueberry plant that is still tiny at the mo, and a blackcurrant plant that is settling in and I hope for better fruits in future years.

Here's a cheeky chappie in front of my sunflowers. This was taken a couple of weeks ago. The high winds have knocked them about a bit:
20160812_072238.jpg

Here are some tomato pics taken around the same time. Awaiting them going red. Flowers are still appearing!:
20160811_202204.jpg20160811_202212.jpg20160811_202227.jpg20160811_202239.jpg

Had the first red tomato last night!
Made some brilliant wraps :)

Mine started turning last week, but only a couple at a time for some reason !

Mine started turning last week, but only a couple at a time for some reason !
Nowt wrong with that mate. If they gradually ripen, then you get a generous spread of fresh toms over a nice long period!

Back