• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

We've had ripe tomatoes for about a month now. We've probably got one decent crop left and I imagine that'll be it.

Lucky me got a greenhouse for my birthday. Built it across a couple of days. Annoyingly there are a couple of parts missing. Waiting on a call from B&Q.

Harvested a few tomatoes. Dug up all the onions (in a bag in the garage), and the carrots (peeled & blanched 3 bags) and pulled down the beans (4 bags frozen).
I did get some purple carrots! Had them in a shepherds pie.

Leeks, sprouts and beetroot still in the ground for now.

Brought the basil and thyme inside.

Hoping B&Q call very soon regarding the missing bits, so I can get the temporary greenhouses taken down, & put the tomatoes and stuff in the proper greenhouse.

Bumping for the new year.
Greenhouse got flattened in the winds. I rebuilt it last weekend when the bowls match was called off.

A friend bought me a load of weird seeds for christmas, so that explains a fair bit of what I've planted:

coleus (chocolate mint), red sprouts, green sprouts, leeks, black cherry tomatoes, normal tomatoes, 2 courgette plants, radish watermelon, lemon cucumber, (no idea what either of those are, or grow like), lettuce, and thyme.
I've also planted some sunflower seeds to see how I get on with them.

Anyone else having a go at anything?

Chocolate mint? Does that mean you can grow After Eights?

Bumping for the new year.
Greenhouse got flattened in the winds. I rebuilt it last weekend when the bowls match was called off.

A friend bought me a load of weird seeds for christmas, so that explains a fair bit of what I've planted:

coleus (chocolate mint), red sprouts, green sprouts, leeks, black cherry tomatoes, normal tomatoes, 2 courgette plants, radish watermelon, lemon cucumber, (no idea what either of those are, or grow like), lettuce, and thyme.
I've also planted some sunflower seeds to see how I get on with them.

Anyone else having a go at anything?

Probably not going to do much this year as intending to get the back garden remodelled a bit - current plots are too big so either too much work, or do the work & have too much veg

Intend to remove the current ones & put 2 smaller ones in their place which will be a more suitable size.

Will buy in some muscle to deal with the heavy stuff (well I am retired & shouldn't be exerting myself to that extent - not good for the heart) - I will supply the vision & fancy bits

I've tried growing stuff over the past 4 years with pretty poor success to be honest - the Garden seems in perpetual shade and never really gets the light I need to grow any of the crops that I enjoy eating. So this year I'm not planning on growing anything bar a few herbs.

Has anyone planted any of those big (Californian) poppies?
If yes, do they last a good while and do they like the common poppy self propagate?

Just love poppies.

In fact I have a large coffee jar full of poppy seeds if anyone would like some.

Has anyone planted any of those big (Californian) poppies?
If yes, do they last a good while and do they like the common poppy self propagate?

Just love poppies.

In fact I have a large coffee jar full of poppy seeds if anyone would like some.
What colour are your poppies mate?
When I moved to the new home, 3 purple poppies sprung up. I collected the heads and tried growing them the next year. THEY WENT ABSOLUTELY NUTS! I've some spare seeds of those if you fancy swapsies? Or if you just want some of a different colour, let me know.

Hi Mr Lemon.
The big Californian poppies I've planted are multi coloured.

But the trillion zillion poppy seeds that I collected are all red poppies.
They grew in massive clumps all over the golf course and I spent a few random afternoons collecting them and saving the seeds.
I can send you as many as you like in exchange for some Purple Californian ones...

Right...So the wife wanted to do the drive and put a flower bed in to the front garden but things have kind of taken off!

Drive.jpg

DriveComplete.jpg

She then wanted to do a little more...

Garden1.jpg

Garden2.jpg

Garden3.jpg

Back