• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Hebburn, really enjoying this series, better than the first.

Is that of season 2?

I've actually preferred season 3 and haven't found it particularly slow.

No Season 3. It concludes on C4 tonight. I've enjoyed Season 3 even though a lot have been critical of it.

Watched all five of the latest series of Him & Her on Friday night. The best sitcom on telly at the moment by miles.

Homeland series 3 took a while to get going but came to the boil towards the end imo. That said, I was a bit disappointed in the series finale. I thought Lockhart's character was really well played and the tension between him and Berensen was the best part of the series for me.

In general though, I get the same feeling with Homeland as I did with Heroes. They just tried to squeeze too much out of the original concept.

Haven't seen the last couple of episodes of Homeland, need to catch up!

Heroes was great in the first series or so, then it just went weird.

Haven't seen the last couple of episodes of Homeland, need to catch up!

Heroes was great in the first series or so, then it just went weird.

The second series of Heroes was completely screwed up by the US writer's strike and they had to force story conclusions and shorten the series. It never really recovered.

US networks also generally demand more episodes in a series than in the UK which means it is harder to keep the quality consistently high.

It's a shame that so many promising shows are ruined by quantity over quality, something Heroes suffered from. I've got the whole series of Homeland on my Sky box but haven't seen any of it yet. I thought the 2nd series was a bit of a letdown.

I just wish the producers would wait until they had a decent idea rather than just churning out season after season just to appease the masses.

I actually think the last season of Dr Who suffered from this slightly, although due to the nature of that show and the way they can change the lead role means it's easier to freshen up the programme.

I understand where you're coming from with the US shows. Somebody published a study a while ago on various shows and particularly focused on these new long series dramas like 24, Lost and Heroes and found that in an hour long episode there was only 35 minutes of new footage/ story. No wonder they want 20-24 episodes as we can cram in as much in 12 and for the most part 8 episodes if on the beeb.

We've had done good dramas over the last few years in the UK and I think we've been a little spoilt for quality (until the Beeb cancelled Ripper St and ITV likewise with Whitechapel).

I'm looking forward the Line of Duty and Sherlock in particular.

It has been like that for years in the States. Looking at my X-Files box set, I can see that series one was twenty episodes and I don't think any of the six that followed dropped below that number. And even though that first series was the most consistently excellent, there are episodes even there that drop below the bar in terms of quality. The same for series two. Later than that in the run (especially 5, 6, and 7) the quality was generally lower (although still pretty good)

I'm looking forward the Line of Duty and Sherlock in particular.

Sherlock is a good example of a show that oozes quality despite there being relatively few episodes.

Sherlock is a good example of a show that oozes quality despite there being relatively few episodes.

Unfortunately the US shows have to maximize advertising revenue so there's more chance of padding in episodes and series (seasons if you must). We don't seem to have that problem and I think ITV do this well, especially when you consider the excellent Broadchurch and Ice Cream Girls would've been strung out for at least 20 episodes in the states.

I guess only HBO productions are the exception to this rule and it is no coincidence they make, for the most part, the best dramas to come out of the US (for me anyway).

Dexter must have been a rarity for a US show as that only had 12 episodes per season.

Unless that's a Showtime thing as their comedy/drama Episodes only had 6 in season 1 and 8 in season 2.

Dexter must have been a rarity for a US show as that only had 12 episodes per season.

Unless that's a Showtime thing as their comedy/drama Episodes only had 6 in season 1 and 8 in season 2.

Episodes was originally commissioned by the BBC as a joint venture with Showtime, which probably explains its short run. Looking forward to the third series, hope it doesn't tail off.

New comedy on c4 tonight called 'raised by wolves' about a recollection of life on a wolverhampton council estate.

Written by Caitlin Moran who absolutely fucking hates the place.

It's the same with all the cable channels. 12-13 episodes per season in general. Although I remember HBO did 20+ per season for Sopranos and Sex & The City.

All the syndicated network channels as mentioned above want the advertising revenue.

I never worked out why the last series of the sopranos was 21 episodes long when all the others were 13.

It's the same with all the cable channels. 12-13 episodes per season in general. Although I remember HBO did 20+ per season for Sopranos and Sex & The City.

All the syndicated network channels as mentioned above want the advertising revenue.

Cheers.

Never really paid attention to the channels that produce the programmes.

Back