• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Discovered Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Both are fantastic

I’m half way through the 2nd series of Ashes to Ashes having watched it when it was first aired. I’m a few episodes behind but it’s on Saturday nights on Drama. I’ve barely remembered an episode yet so I don’t know what I was doing the first time around. I’ll go back to Life on Mars at some point.
Mrs Grouse is going through a million episodes of Modern Family at the minute which is ok but nothing special.

Also watching this again. Definitely not dated and still a great show. Makes you realise Mark Heap basically plays the same character in Friday Night Dinner.

Odd thing with Mark Heap in FND. 1st series episode 1 he is the strange Jim. Episode 2 he is normal then back to being strange from 3 onwards. The second episode is the pilot one but for some reason they didn't open with that one in the series or just refilm it.

The bloke from Line of Duty turned up immediately after a bent coppers episode of Ashes to Ashes which made me wonder if it was just a coincidence or an inspiration for is it Jed Mercurio(sp)?

I'm towards the end of the second series of Ashes to Ashes. I think Life on Mars is a better drama. A to A has some great one liners and Gene is more likeable

The best one liner was in LOM when he was questioning that suspect about the car number plate, I was in tears at that.

The best one liner was in LOM when he was questioning that suspect about the car number plate, I was in tears at that.
Properly laughed today when he said to a teenager that had run away to London. "Go back to Liverpool, nick hubcaps and be overly sentimental"

She died

Strange that also been ploughing through Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes, just have final two episodes of A to A to go.

Can vaguely remember the ending from when they were aired and there was a lot to take in, so might just do 1 tonight and 1 tomorrow,

Brilliantly written.

Would agree LoM was better drama, but both excellent tv.

Character of Gene is one of the tv greats brilliantly played, remember watching American version with Harvey Keitel playing him and it just didnt work.

Odd thing with Mark Heap in FND. 1st series episode 1 he is the strange Jim. Episode 2 he is normal then back to being strange from 3 onwards. The second episode is the pilot one but for some reason they didn't open with that one in the series or just refilm it.

Hadn't noticed this, feel like I want to rewatch now

I do a great (shit) Jim impression

Sitting in Limbo. Superb TV, but so fucking shameful.

The joy of painting with Bob Ross,he does landscapes in oil paint in half an hour,it's on nightly bbc4 at 7pm and the I player,possibly the most relaxing half hour of tv ever,and it's all done with brushes you'd use to paint doors with

Bob Ross was a hero with the greatest outlook on life of anyone on the telly in such a long time .

He did 3 paintings for every show and you cannot buy them for love nor money.

Yes Kenny, I did get this info from John Oliver.

I love a bit of Bob Ross, he's a legend, no matter whats going on in the world listening to his tranquil tones and watching him create something amazing with his endless positivity is like a dose of valium.

Watched two of the episodes on the Peter Falconio case. Joanne Lees comes across as dodgy as fuck.

Ahhh, Bob Ross and the ASMR reaction. I love sitting in an otherwise quiet room to watch him paint.

Just finished The Last Dance, the story of the Chicago Bull's rise to dominance. Whoa, that was really good.

Sitting in Limbo. Superb TV, but so fucking shameful.

If you watched that then also watch 'The unwanted: the secret Windrush files'

Thought that I knew a fair bit re this, but learnt a lot of additional info - slightly long on the background & needed more on the outcome in more recent years, but still a programme that we should watch.

The Kominsky Method. I was avoiding this as it sounded too much like a Michael Douglas vanity project but it's actually excellent. Really good performances by Douglas and Alan Arkin. Warm, black, bleak funny. It's another Michael Schur thing (Parks & Rec, the Office etc) so not surprising it's quality. Nice short episodes too so easy to binge.

Have started watching a French thriller (with subtitles) on Walter called Philharmonia - it's a different setting for a thriller, being set in and around an orchestra, and very watchable so far (4 episodes).

Back