• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Rising Damp is still very good. Leonard Rossiter was brilliant although he was in Tripper's Day for his final ever role which was dreadful. Later became Slinger's Day with of all people....Bruce Forsyth. Genuinely one of the worst things you will ever see.

If you asked me to write a deliberately bad 80s sitcom (right down to the music)...this is pretty much exactly what I'd write. It's not quite so bad it's good. It's bad but intriguing all the same.

Who casts Bruce Forsyth in a sitcom?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3UQp11Wjk

we never even know why she's there...

As her character shares that view, I guess that was the point.

Any show that goes on for the amount of series that Office did will suffer in the end. Gervais has it spot on in terms of when to stop. I presume his current show, After Life, will end after S2 which airs next month (with the nature of that one though, I was surprised he did a 2nd as the point and meaning of that was covered in S1 but I guess if Netflix are throwing north of £50m at you, you do whatever that ask)

She was alright in terms of acting and delivery but the character makes no sense, she has no proper plotlines, we never even know why she's there...

I think they really went through the motions towards the end.

Agree on the last two series, although I thought Rainn Wilson made it worth watching in that time so I still enjoyed it.

Miranda is useful only for drinking games. One shot if she falls over. Two shots if she looks straight at the camera.

I'm never sure if you should class Citizen Khan as racist. I mean it's shit (from the two episodes I have watched) but I'm not convinced it's in the best taste.

You could do one shot if any of them overact, but you get alcohol poisoning.

I'm proud to say I've never watched an episode of Miranda. I don't find her funny in anything, even Not Going Out.

I reckon you could make Game On nowadays. You'd just have to take out calling Martin a ginger tosser ever 5 mins.

My personal sitcom top 5:

Blackadder
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
The Young Ones
Phoenix Nights

It feels sad to leave out the likes of Red Dwarf, Spaced and The Office.

You could do one shot if any of them overact, but you get alcohol poisoning.

Again though that is what they are meant to do so doing drinking games for things that are likely to happen is a bit daft and a sign you rely on alcohol too much. For a much liver friendly version, better to have a shot everytime you genuinly, properly laugh at something in it. You ain't waking up the next day with a hangover

30 Rock and Parks & Rec have to be in my top 5, which is strange as I generally find US comedies a load of old toss.

Reality is that it depends what age you are - still fall about listening to The Goons (which few on here will have heard live)

Some stuff that was good - Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin, some of Blackadder though not all, Milligan's Q Series was good if anarchic (wouldn't work now though).

Growing up there was also some real dross (Terry & June) or questionable programmes (Love Thy Neighbour, it ain't half hot etc.)

Oh and Mrs Brown's Boys is a stain on humanity (though forgive them for Father Ted - favourite character being Father Jack)

I loved 30 Rock at the time but I've been watching them again this week on TV and they have dated IMO. Apart from Alec Baldwin, he's great.

Top five is tough.

The Office
Partridge (I'll bracket the lot in here)
The Day Today*
The Fast Show*
Phoenix Nights

*Yes I know these aren't sitcoms per se but I'm having them

I love Friends as comfort viewing but I doubt it'd get in a top 10 if I extended it. Odd.

I loved 30 Rock at the time but I've been watching them again this week on TV and they have dated IMO. Apart from Alec Baldwin, he's great.

I watched a few as well and I think they're still good, although some of them lose their shock value when you know what's coming. Baldwin is brilliant in it.

A shambles of a tournament. Like when Greece won Euro 2004.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum was actually a very very good comedy, but obviously completely not suitable for consumption in the current climate.

The first three series of 'Allo 'Allo were absolutely brilliant as well. And then it went into self-parody when Captain Berterelli turned up. When it was Rene, Hans, Gruber and his little tank, Michelle of the Resistance, assorted pretty waitresses and it is I, Leclerc, it was fucking fantastic.

I'm not sure I would ever describe 'Allo 'Allo as fantastic :icon_lol:

Like any Second World War derived comedy it's pretty limited at best.

All About Me with Jasper Carrott was an absolute shocker too. I suspect he has done a Cher with that weird album she did with Greg Allman and deleted it all from public record as I can't find any clips of it. But it was truly rubbish.

Growing up there was also some real dross (Terry & June) or questionable programmes (Love Thy Neighbour, it ain't half hot etc.)

Terry and June, Butterflies, To the Manor Born and Please Sir were shocking , yes there was questionable but there was also programmes that targeted the racists Love thy Neighbour and Till death us do part made sure the racists never won, strangely Only when I laugh was on this morning :)

Will give you Till Death us do part as targeting racism - not sure that Love thy Neighbour was.

Have some fond remembrances for Blackadder 1 (even though overall it wasn't that good) just for Brian Blessed's overacting role (though suspect that is what he did in all his roles)

Allo allo went on longer than the actual war,and caused nearly as many casualties,terrible programme

I used to love Spaced, watched one a few weeks ago and it was nothing like a remembered. Might be one of those right time right place things.

Back