• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2024/25

It's not logical, so I'm assuming the PL weren't tight enough in their rules and regs, which wouldn't surprise me.

Yep sounds like they’ve slipped through a tiny loophole in the laws if you’re Everton in particular you’d be apoplectic with the PL.
Someone in the PL legal team is probably getting sacked.

In its decision, the Appeal Board (which was made of up a panel of three experienced, senior lawyers, two of whom are former Court of Appeal judges) identifies flaws in the drafting of the Premier League’s rules. In challenging the Premier League’s attempts to charge Leicester City, the Club has simply sought to ensure (in the interests of providing consistency and certainty for all clubs) that the rules are applied based on how they are actually written.

In its decision, the Appeal Board (which was made of up a panel of three experienced, senior lawyers, two of whom are former Court of Appeal judges) identifies flaws in the drafting of the Premier League’s rules. In challenging the Premier League’s attempts to charge Leicester City, the Club has simply sought to ensure (in the interests of providing consistency and certainty for all clubs) that the rules are applied based on how they are actually written.

Extremely embarrassing for the PL for all the finance they’ve got behind them they can’t get their legal team to get their rule book water tight.
Everton and Forest should rightfully ask for Richard Masters to resign it’s huge cock up under his watch.

Do like Leicesters stance of "we asked on behalf of all clubs" rather than "hahahahaha which lawyer wrote this drivel, you idiots,"

A defence to a charge of exceeding a £105m loss by pointing out that at the time of the charge someone else should have been charging them over exceeding a £39m loss but the rules don't cover that reflects badly on both the Premier League and the Football League.

Completely embarrassing bit of drafting.

In the Times article it says that they changed their accounting period by a month, and as they were relegated this end date fell whilst they were already relegated. So out of the PL jurisdiction. So it’s not necessarily relegation that saved them, it’s more that couple with the accounting date change.

Obviously it’s complete bollocks. I don’t neccessairily blame the PL here. I blame all this legal nonsense where he who has the deepest pockets is winning irrespective of any crime committed. It stinks here, it stinks in the workplace and it stinks in society.

The problem is their 13 month accounting year meant they handed back their premier league share just before the end date.

Hmmm - piss poor bit of drafting not to block that sort of shit.

If the club is subject to the rules at the start date of an accounting period, then the club remains subject to those rules at all times during that accounting period, regardless of whether they are still a member of the premier league at the end of that accounting period, and also regardless of any change in the date of the end of the accounting period approved by change of accounting reference date or other resolution made by the club during that accounting period.

There you go Premier League. Took about 90 seconds and I bet it is rather more watertight.

No charge.

Whatever the morality, as Padd says this is a legal cockup. I am certain that the PL's lawyers will have had to report this to their professional indemnity insurer.

One set of Villa pricing Shi won't ever be able to benchmark

The problem is their 13 month accounting year meant they handed back their premier league share just before the end date.

Hmmm - piss poor bit of drafting not to block that sort of shit.

If the club is subject to the rules at the start date of an accounting period, then the club remains subject to those rules at all times during that accounting period, regardless of whether they are still a member of the premier league at the end of that accounting period, and also regardless of any change in the date of the end of the accounting period approved by change of accounting reference date or other resolution made by the club during that accounting period.

There you go Premier League. Took about 90 seconds and I bet it is rather more watertight.

No charge.
I don’t agree with piss poor drafting. I know you (Pad) have a legal background so will lean that way, but rules were made and agreed to in good faith. Then people have broken the rules and then gone all “legal” to get around it.

It’s rife in all walks of life and it pisses me off. Particularly when lawyers are charging £x per pointless letter and then poorer person often runs out of money. Or your employer gives you some absurdly written contract which you can’t possibly understand and then hides behind some shitty clause when they try to fuck you over. Don’t get me started on all the accident/negligence claims as well.

If it were my club and there was a loophole I'd be fucking delighted they'd found it and paid lawyers to do so tbh. The issue is the PLs and their sloppy wording

Last edited:
It boils my piss to be honest that they've got off an a technicality. They've broken the rules, they know they have and they've effectively stuck two fingers up at the competition they are part of.
I'll go all Kevin Keegan and state that I'll love it if they go down.

Yeah, it's like any argument that's "won" on pure semantics or nitpicking at grammar, everyone knows you didn't really win.

Fuck them, I'm glad they have to watch Wout Faes every single week.

Really want Leicester to go down for multiple reasons now, walking away Scott free from a blatant breach of PSR, having that ultimate whinging sanctimonious prick of a manager and that knobhead still playing for them.
Yep it’s a PL fuck and as said it’s not unreasonable to ask for Richard Masters to resign over this.
Yep he’s not directly at fault but he’s the head of the organisation that’s allowed this to happen.

Not the first time Leicester have benefitted either.

Remember 2002/03 when they entered administration, no penalties and finished runners up.

The 10 point administration deductions were only implemented after complaints by others about Leicester.

Their club secretaries earn their corn.

Back