• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2018/19 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partially an attempt to kill off the old out of date thread and get us using this seasons correct thread...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/oct/22/live-tv-football-premier-league-champions-league-football-league

87 live games on tv or legally streaming. Wow. That's almost 12.5 games per day.

Very interesting the research going on to effects on lower league clubs when midweek PL and/or champions league games are on.

Not that you can watch all of the games at the same time, or would want to but the research is flawed and the article alludes to this, not least of all that not at one point do they ask the question about televised fans being active attendees (this would be hard data to get). And then you get the real reason behind the research. More money to filter down from the top.

As the writer points out football is not know for its altruism.

I'll watch Arsenal vs Leicester tonight, two CL games tomorrow, two CL games on Wednesday and two EL games on Thursday. So that's seven, but then I'm also going to our U23 game on Friday, and either I or someone on my supporter number has attended every single first team Wolves game this season.

Not once did I sack off one of our home games - even in years when I didn't have a ST (although I may as well have done), even when we were in L1 - in favour of watching PL/CL football on the box. As tempting as it was at times towards the end of the Ken and Lambo reigns.

I'll watch Arsenal vs Leicester tonight, two CL games tomorrow, two CL games on Wednesday and two EL games on Thursday. So that's seven, but then I'm also going to our U23 game on Friday, and either I or someone on my supporter number has attended every single first team Wolves game this season.

Not once did I sack off one of our home games - even in years when I didn't have a ST (although I may as well have done), even when we were in L1 - in favour of watching PL/CL football on the box. As tempting as it was at times towards the end of the Ken and Lambo reigns.

You would never be in the 2-3% and even if you were that's only 600-900 people at a near full capacity Molineux. If you take Bury for example they have an average attendance of 3845 that's 77-115 folks not going for whatever reason in midweek. Could it be the TV or the shit football, or the fact it's midweek? Who knows.

Oystons are in court today to arrange the future of Blackpool fc

Adjurned but Owen Oyston has a limited time to pay up or face prison

It doesn't matter in terms of Blackpool FC. He owes the money to Belokon, that's a matter of legal fact and it's his own business. But Belokon can't take over, he's banned under the Owners and Directors Test as he has an outstanding money laundering conviction in Kyrgyzstan.

They need another buyer and the club is worth as good as nothing.

It's the first one, I don't know the details on point two. But I doubt you'd bother laundering £50, put it that way.

Edit: I was responding to a post here which seems to have vanished. I'm not talking to myself, honest.

Either way it’s close to being over and the oystons being forced out

Not particularly unless they go and place the club in receivership. Or find a buyer.

I do wonder if Belokon can get his ban overturned. There fans seem set on him becoming the new owner but any offers that have been made have been countered to the oystons owning the ground which in reality isnt viable at all

If he has an unresolved money laundering charge sitting there he has no hope at all.

Hopefully someone can save the club but it says something when the owner of Fleetwood is Blackpool fan

Andy Keogh not a fan of Usian Bolt as a footballer

Usain Bolt's first touch is "like a trampoline" and he will never make it as a footballer, says former Republic of Ireland striker Andy Keogh.
"He's not going to be able to make it,"
"It's nice to have the attention on the A-League but him playing here, that's not for me," the former Wolves and Millwall player told Off the Ball.
"He's shown a bit of potential but it's a little bit of a kick in the teeth to the professionals that are in the league."
Keogh, who won 30 caps for the Republic, added a potential professional contract for Bolt was "fine from a marketing point of view" but was "farcical" from a football perspective.
"If there's someone who genuinely thinks he'd be a good football addition, I don't think they should be in a position to make those calls," he said.

I loved it when Ross McCormack was asked what Bolt brings to the team.

His reply? "Pace."

Hmm, Keogh actually made a career as a forward without actually being able to finish, so there's hope for all I would imagine

Andy Keogh not a fan of Usian Bolt as a footballer

Usain Bolt's first touch is "like a trampoline" and he will never make it as a footballer, says former Republic of Ireland striker Andy Keogh.
"He's not going to be able to make it,"
"It's nice to have the attention on the A-League but him playing here, that's not for me," the former Wolves and Millwall player told Off the Ball.
"He's shown a bit of potential but it's a little bit of a kick in the teeth to the professionals that are in the league."
Keogh, who won 30 caps for the Republic, added a potential professional contract for Bolt was "fine from a marketing point of view" but was "farcical" from a football perspective.
"If there's someone who genuinely thinks he'd be a good football addition, I don't think they should be in a position to make those calls," he said.

In the extended interview he also said that he is not as fast as Adama Traore

Leicester City owners helicopter crashes onto a carpark shortly after taking off from their ground after the match,not known if the owner is on board,witnesses said it just spiralled into the ground and caught fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back