• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Watched The Town the other night - very good. Ben Affleck seems to be doing well as a Director after a good few years turning out dross.

Watched Inception again today, gets better with every viewing.

Watched both 28 days later and 28 weeks later IMO both very good horror films that understand the concept of building tension and getting the audience to be emotionally attached to the characters. Something that most horror films fail to do these days and therefore rely on cheap jump scares and/or disturbing imagery.

"Attained" Hangover 2, great comedy that lives up to its predecessor. If you liked the first one you'll certainly like the second one.

Any films people recommend, Margin Call looks good, so does J.Edgar and Melancholia has received rave reviews though that doesn't look like my cup of tea.

P.S. this thread deserves a lot more attention than it gets.

I've just acquired Red State and Super 8, both of which are meant to be pretty good. Oh and the final Harry Potter film.

I've got three days off work next week so I'm going to try and watch them then.

There are loads. Can you be more specific?

Saw Arthur Christmas with the kids at the weekend - a work of genius. Co-written by one of the Alan Partridge writers. One of the best Christmas film's I've ever seen.

I'm still in shock that some idiot decided that it would be a good idea to 'pre-make' The Thing. The John Carpenter version is one of my top 5 films of all time and is equal to Alien as the best sci-fi horror film ever made. An absolute work of brilliance, why would they even bother? It has a 0.0000000% (no-one DARE put any other digit than 0 in here) chance of living up to Carpenter's work... Would you remake Alien? No. Would you remake Citizen Kane? No. Would you remake Apocolypse Now? No. So why oh why oh why (that's not my chromosomes by the way) would you want to do it with The Thing which is up there as one of the all time classics? I despair...

Totally agree, why would you need to make a remake of any film of repute, I draw to your attention the Pink Panther films with Steve Martin, I rest my case m'lud !

I'm still in shock that some idiot decided that it would be a good idea to 'pre-make' The Thing. The John Carpenter version is one of my top 5 films of all time and is equal to Alien as the best sci-fi horror film ever made. An absolute work of brilliance, why would they even bother? It has a 0.0000000% (no-one DARE put any other digit than 0 in here) chance of living up to Carpenter's work... Would you remake Alien? No. Would you remake Citizen Kane? No. Would you remake Apocolypse Now? No. So why oh why oh why (that's not my chromosomes by the way) would you want to do it with The Thing which is up there as one of the all time classics? I despair...

Its all about the money I'm afraid. Stick a well known 'brand' like 'The Thing' onto a piece of tat and people will watch it. Miami Vice and the A Team although not remakes as such are prime examples of that.

Its a terrible decision. The Thing is a great film and should not be fucked with.

Mind you, remaking Halloween with Rob Zombie directing was pish as ideas go as well.

There was talk of them remaking Jaws.

If that ever happens, cinema will be dead to me.

If you want a Portman fix, watch Your Highness - guaranteed to be shite but a fine shot of her arse

Forgot about that one, even it it's shit at least it stars Natalie Portman (and Mila Kunis?)

It has both. Both are hot. & I assure you, it is not shit...

Bad Lieutenant (the original with Harvey Keitel). Fargo. Requiem for a Dream. All other excellent recommendations loonse.

Back