• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The F1 Thread

My dad's got the front wing endplate from Johnny Herbert's 1999 Stewart in the loft!

That’s quality that is, would love that. Really deserves to be on a wall in a garage somewhere though and reckon he’d get decent money for it if he ever decided to move it on. Big money in any F1 memorabilia, even the broken bits!

Funnily enough when Marussia went bust they auctioned everything off and someone bunged me a few quid to go to Banbury in my van to collect a lot he’d won, which was a full length carbon fibre under tray! Had a wander round while there and in the lots was everything from wheel nuts to complete engines. There was one guy picking up an exhaust manifold that he paid an awful lot of money for who was going to make it into a coffee table, loads of quirky stuff like pistons for desk ornaments and all sorts of similar stuff going on.

The guy I took the undertray to currently has it mounted vertically on his garage wall in Cambridge. It’s wafer thin and ultra light and he’s got it illuminated so it sits like an F1 silhouette. Pretty cool piece of wall art to be fair.

When I went to my first British Grand Prix Nikki Lauda (it was a LOOOOOOONNGG time ago) retired right in front of we were sat (on the old configuration it was between the corner after Stowe and what was a little kink at Abbey). Sadly didn't give me any car bits though. I remember him looking rather pissed off.

Was a bit reticent about posting Monaco pics but what the heck, it was a big birthday/bucket list thing, I don’t do SM anywhere else but given it’s an F1 thread I hope some of you guys will get it too.

Awesome Senna in Senna livery outside McLaren team hotel:

IMG_8639.jpeg

The pits from the rear balcony of La Rascasse, qualifying day:

IMG_8692.jpeg

Drivers and crew entering pit lane via La Rascasse bridge was quite a surprise:

_DSC1495_01.jpeg

Stroll senior was a friendly guy who stopped for a quick chat:

Stroll.jpeg

Upstairs at La Ras, George Russell entering:

_DSC1620.jpeg
View attachment 10972

Ground level, Lando exiting, engine at full chat. Unbelievable sound:

_DSC1993.jpeg

Race day:

_DSC2105.jpeg

Between the corners of Tabac and Louis Chiron. Lucky enough to get the exit of the tunnel, nouvelle chicane, round the pool off round to Rascasse:

_DSC2359.jpeg

Leclerc round Tabac one last time for victory:

_DSC2300.jpeg

Was all a bit of a whirlwind with a lot to take in but a truly amazing experience. I know the race itself wasn’t great and there’s a lot to want to dislike Monaco for, but I can only say it’s something I’d dreamed about going to since a kid and it proved to be everything and then some.

Each to their own of course but hopefully some of you guys will understand and the pictures do it justice too.

Last edited:
Hada neighbour who worked for goodyears when I was a kid. he was a lovely guy. Used to give me and my brother loads of promo F1 stuff. Have a ton of autographed pics somewhere in storage. These include Senna, Ratzenburger and a lot of other drivers.

Max in full cunt mode today blaming everyone else at Red Bull.

McLaren also trying to get Lando to give up the win to allow Piastri to get his win. All but begging him over the radio to do the right thing.

Max in full cunt mode today blaming everyone else at Red Bull
Carried it on in the post race interviews.

A nice change though today where his engineer called him out twice on the radio. 2nd one telling him having a go at other teams over the radio was childish.

Nothing new from Max. He hasn't grown up at all.
The Lando switch annoyed me. If Piastri had been up his chuffer, then no problem with the switch but there was a 6 second gap. I get the team dynamics but it's a hollow victory for the Aussie and harms Lando's title chance.

The Lando switch annoyed me. If Piastri had been up his chuffer, then no problem with the switch but there was a 6 second gap. I get the team dynamics but it's a hollow victory for the Aussie and harms Lando's title chance.
Lando should have done the switch earlier and had a racing chance to win.

The pit stops were flipped to protect the 1-2 and Piastri told his position was protected.
Just a lot of wasted time on the radio.

My thoughts too. There was no real need to bring Lando in first. I understand that a slow stop might have seen him fall behind Hamilton but that's hardly a good enough reason to make things so tense for the sake of it.

Lando should have done the switch earlier and had a racing chance to win.

The pit stops were flipped to protect the 1-2 and Piastri told his position was protected.
Just a lot of wasted time on the radio.
Makes no sense to me to have a driver 6 seconds ahead, ask him to give that up and then to race the teammate who has just gone past him. The risk to the team that no-one gets points goes even higher. I get they wanted Piastri to get his first win but effectively it became a race to the first corner to decide who won. Lando showed he was a good team man but ultimately, this has harmed his own opportunity. I know the team are rattling on about team harmony at the moment but I can't image Lando is buying into that too much right now. He's putting on a brave face but from my point of view, it was up to Piastri to catch him and then for Lando to let him go. That didn't happen and the 5 to 6 second gap was maintained for many laps after the pit stop.

Makes no sense to me to have a driver 6 seconds ahead, ask him to give that up and then to race the teammate who has just gone past him. The risk to the team that no-one gets points goes even higher. I get they wanted Piastri to get his first win but effectively it became a race to the first corner to decide who won. Lando showed he was a good team man but ultimately, this has harmed his own opportunity. I know the team are rattling on about team harmony at the moment but I can't image Lando is buying into that too much right now. He's putting on a brave face but from my point of view, it was up to Piastri to catch him and then for Lando to let him go. That didn't happen and the 5 to 6 second gap was maintained for many laps after the pit stop.
He was 2-3 seconds ahead when Piastri came back out

Essentially though, Piastri should have had the 1st option on the pit stops as the lead driver. McLaren binned that as for whatever reason they felt it would protect the 1-2. Probably viewing the issues Max was having getting ahead of Lewis. So that call comes with the Piastri position protection and from the many many radio messages, it seems it was something discussed in morning meeting as well.

Ultimately the team only give a shit about the constructors championship as that is where their money comes from. So they make a move to protect that 1-2 rather than risk a 1-3 with Lewis holding up Lando or if Max wasnt a twat, him chasing down Piastri.

I'm no fan of team orders but Lando could have done his bit earlier and then raced again.

The issue they were worried about was Hamilton's pace. After Lando came back out that 6s gap was down to something like 3.4s. So you can see why they were concerned, but Lando had enough speed in hand to push for another lap and still come out in front IMO. Obviously the team didn't want to take even any small risk with that though.

The issue they were worried about was Hamilton's pace. After Lando came back out that 6s gap was down to something like 3.4s. So you can see why they were concerned, but Lando had enough speed in hand to push for another lap and still come out in front IMO. Obviously the team didn't want to take even any small risk with that though.
I'd have to watch again, and I won't, but my recollection was that Lando was ahead by 5 to 6 seconds for the best part of 30 laps. Lando even remarked at one point that if you want me to switch, get him to catch up... and he couldn't. Anyway, matters not. At least it's good to see other teams giving Red Bull a hard time.

I'd have to watch again, and I won't, but my recollection was that Lando was ahead by 5 to 6 seconds for the best part of 30 laps. Lando even remarked at one point that if you want me to switch, get him to catch up... and he couldn't. Anyway, matters not. At least it's good to see other teams giving Red Bull a hard time.
I was on about why they pitted him first.

After that, Piastri had no pace, but who knows what would have happened if they'd have pitted them in the correct order and been allowed to race. I'm sure Oscar would have found some extra pace if he really needed it.

No further action against Max.

Quite surprised by that as he launched into a move he simply could not make stick.

No further action against Max.

Quite surprised by that as he launched into a move he simply could not make stick.
He should at least get points on his licence.

Hamilton, meanwhile, said: "For me it was a racing incident. "Ultimately he was much quicker and he sent it. I moved a little to defend, but I left enough space on the inside and he locked up and obviously then couldn't turn. He came at a different trajectory and clipped my wheels. If he was under control he would have gone by."

Stewards verdict in full

“On the approach to turn 1, both Car 44 [Hamilton] and Car 1 [Versatppen] overtook Car 23 [Alex Albon]. Car 44 returned to the racing line before the braking zone and commenced to turn into turn 1.

“Car 1 approached the turn faster than on previous laps (due to DRS) and braked at the same point as previously.

“The driver of Car 1 argued that Car 44 was changing direction under braking. The driver of Car 44 stated that he was simply following his normal racing line (which was confirmed by examination of video and telemetry evidence of previous laps).

“It was clear that Car 1 locked up both front wheels on the approach to turn 1 prior to any impact occurring but missing the normal cornering line for a typical overtaking manoeuvre.

“The driver of Car 44 stated that this was a racing incident, whilst the driver of Car 1 argued that this was a case of changing direction under braking.

“The Stewards do not consider this to be a typical case of 'changing direction under braking' although it is our determination that the driver of Car 44 could have done more to avoid the collision.

“Accordingly we determine that no driver was predominantly to blame and decide to take no further action.

Back