• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

We all know that Clive talks bollocks but his monologue about the Schmeichel’s somehow having shields that allows the ridiculous saving of a shot with his knee takes some beating.

Ah well, 2 out of 2 in my Acca. Relying on England, France and Spain now for a 12/1 🤔

We all know that Clive talks bollocks but his monologue about the Schmeichel’s somehow having shields that allows the ridiculous saving of a shot with his knee takes some beating.
My personal highlight.

Postecoglu can fuck off moaning about VAR

Officials are getting some shit this morning but I’ve got sympathy as they’re only applying the rules.
The handball was harsh but will always be given in any UEFA competition and premier league.
I’m looking forward to PL managers moaning about VAR next season when everyone can say “your club voted to keep it”
Denmark manager had a still image of the offside saying it’s not accurate.
Trust me if it was the other way you’d want it disallowed.

Hmmm, seems a big coincidence that the most controversial moments seem to happen when the English officials are in the middle. I'm watching it abroad so don't have the benefit/hindrance of English commentary, but if Atwell doesn't pull the handball back, I doubt it's barely discussed.

Last edited:
Hmmm, seems a big coincidence that the most controversial moments seem to happen when the English officials are in the middle. I'm watching it abroad so don't have the benefit/hindrance of English commentary, but if Atwell doesn't pull the handball back, I doubt it's barely discussed.

I still think it’s called back regardless of the nationality of the official.

More generally on VAR and officiating, and this is especially applicable to the PL, instead of actively looking for reasons to disallow a goal, which is definitely how it is used in the PL, they should be looking at whether there is anything significant enough to not allow the goal to stand (or award a penalty like last night).

It seems like a minor semantic change, but would potentially make a big difference.

More generally on VAR and officiating, and this is especially applicable to the PL, instead of actively looking for reasons to disallow a goal, which is definitely how it is used in the PL, they should be looking at whether there is anything significant enough to not allow the goal to stand (or award a penalty like last night).

It seems like a minor semantic change, but would potentially make a big difference.
It should be a question the ref asks as they do in other sports:

Ref: I have a goal, is there any reason I cannot award this?
VAR: There might be a foul, go and look at the monitor.

Ref can then make a decision. We may not like the decision but at least it would happen.

Denmark manager had a still image of the offside saying it’s not accurate.
Trust me if it was the other way you’d want it disallowed.
I wouldn't. It was so tight there's no way you can be 100% certain that is is THAT accurate.

And even if it was that accurate I still wouldn't like it as it's so close that it is essentially level, or should be in any common sense interpretation of the law and what it was intended for.

Unfortunately technology has overtaken the current laws and the way they were written and what they were intended for. If it's impossible to see with the naked eye on a still image then I don't like it being given offside. But that's just me personally. Plenty seem to like it.

I wouldn't. It was so tight there's no way you can be 100% certain that is is THAT accurate.

And even if it was that accurate I still wouldn't like it as it's so close that it is essentially level, or should be in any common sense interpretation of the law and what it was intended for.

Unfortunately technology has overtaken the current laws and the way they were written and what they were intended for. If it's impossible to see with the naked eye on a still image then I don't like it being given offside. But that's just me personally. Plenty seem to like it.

You absolutely would if it had been used in that way against someone else but not for you.

You absolutely would if it had been used in that way against someone else but not for you.
Consistency of use is a completely different argument to whether I agree with the process.

Consistency of use is a completely different argument to whether I agree with the process.

I think we’re debating two different points here my argument is about consistency yours is more the process.

So unsurprisingly Gareth makes only one change, expecting more turgid rubbish until he decides to change it.

Back