• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Ha, he’s got loads of dogs bollocks security fitted.

Luke Shaw has declared himself fit for the Slovakia game. Fit but surely not match fit after 4 months out?

I think it's important to note, that whilst Southgate has been fortunate in some instances with draws (particularly us getting Slovakia rather than Holland). The reason our draws have been good during his tenure is because we have absolutely pissed the qualifying groups and group stages of tournaments meaning our seeding and ranking has stayed consistently high.

That hasn't been the case in the past, look at 98 when Hoddle lost to Romania meaning we played Argentina, or in 2000 where we had a group with Germany and Portugal in it because our seeding was poor (pot 4) due to winning a playoff to qualify, there are many other instances too. A world cup group with Uruguay and Italy another.

It's not luck.

Last edited:
I know I'm probably swimming against the tide, especially given how shit we've looked so far, but I have a feeling now the knockout stages have started we will play better and still stand a decent chance of winning the thing. Not many of the 'big' nations have looked entirely convincing, some outright rank (Belgium, Netherlands), and once the knockout stage begins, the lesser teams may lack the nous/experience required. So teams like Austria, Georgia etc will do well to get beyond the quarter finals, you'd think.

I think it's important to note, that whilst Southgate has been fortunate in some instances with draws (particularly us getting Slovakia rather than Holland). The reason our draws have been good during his tenure is because we have absolutely pissed the qualifying groups and group stages of tournaments meaning our seeding and ranking has stayed consistently high.

That hasn't been the case in the past, look at 98 when Hoddle lost to Romania meaning we played Argentina, or in 2000 where we had a group with Germany and Portugal in it because our seeding was poor (pot 4) due to winning a playoff to qualify, there are many other instances too. A world cup group with Uruguay and Italy another.

It's not luck.
Although I take your broader point re seeding, there is still a lot of luck involved. We won our Group as did Germany. Their pathway to the Final would be something like Denmark, Spain, France. Ours Slovakia, Italy, Netherlands, that is lucky. In 2018 finishing second in the group got us Colombia, Sweden, Croatia, winning it was Japan, Brazil France.

I'm gonna add France into the 'not convincing' group. Forgot about them, but I think they've looked outstandingly average.

I'm gonna add France into the 'not convincing' group. Forgot about them, but I think they've looked outstandingly average.
I think you're being kind to them! Two goals, an OG and a penalty (one that was a ridiculous challenge too, wasn't like it was won through some superb play). I can't stand Deschamps.

Spain are the only ones who get a wholesome full tick, and even then they've won a couple of games 1-0 which leaves you at the mercy of a wonderstrike/big deflection/set piece near the end.

France have really hurt themselves not winning the group. Could well be Belgium, Portugal and Spain/Germany now just to make the final.

I know I'm probably swimming against the tide, especially given how shit we've looked so far, but I have a feeling now the knockout stages have started we will play better and still stand a decent chance of winning the thing. Not many of the 'big' nations have looked entirely convincing, some outright rank (Belgium, Netherlands), and once the knockout stage begins, the lesser teams may lack the nous/experience required. So teams like Austria, Georgia etc will do well to get beyond the quarter finals, you'd think.
I think a lot comes down to Southgate and his flexibility. If he changes things it's still possible, Gordon, Palmer and Mainoo all deserve to start after the other night, but that would involve dropping some big names. The same 11 or thereabouts and we aren't getting past the Italians and even Slovakia may go to pens

I think a lot comes down to Southgate and his flexibility. If he changes things it's still possible, Gordon, Palmer and Mainoo all deserve to start after the other night, but that would involve dropping some big names. The same 11 or thereabouts and we aren't getting past the Italians and even Slovakia may go to pens
Based on how Italy have played so far, they aren't beating Switzerland.

Although I take your broader point re seeding, there is still a lot of luck involved. We won our Group as did Germany. Their pathway to the Final would be something like Denmark, Spain, France. Ours Slovakia, Italy, Netherlands, that is lucky. In 2018 finishing second in the group got us Colombia, Sweden, Croatia, winning it was Japan, Brazil France.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but Germany's ranking is 17, were they in pot 1?

I think you're being kind to them! Two goals, an OG and a penalty (one that was a ridiculous challenge too, wasn't like it was won through some superb play). I can't stand Deschamps.

Spain are the only ones who get a wholesome full tick, and even then they've won a couple of games 1-0 which leaves you at the mercy of a wonderstrike/big deflection/set piece near the end.

France have really hurt themselves not winning the group. Could well be Belgium, Portugal and Spain/Germany now just to make the final.
I think Belgium have looked rubbish, and even Portugal looked pretty unconvincing last night. I know they made changes but they weren't very good.

Portugal seriously need to get rid of Ronaldo, he's a complete deadweight and acting like a fucking awful wanker (even by his own standards). They should beat Slovenia regardless though.

Based on how Italy have played so far, they aren't beating Switzerland.
Based purely on how the teams have played so far in the groups - taking any kind of preconceived idea of history and big names out of it - I'm finding myself thinking that the leaders so far are probably Spain, Switzerland, and... Austria?

Saw someone accurately describe Switzerland as the archetypal "always 10% better than you expect" team in international tournaments, but I certainly wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I have been by their neighbours.

Honestly, it would be fantastic to see a team like Austria or Georgia win it. I would prefer that to an England win. Just because, IMO, international football has become as stale and predictable as domestic football, in that it's virtually always the same few teams who crop up in the latter stages of every tournament, for obvious reasons. It would be fucking amazing to see a final between Austria and Georgia. I'd give it <1% chance of happening, sadly.

Back